Crime figures up and police numbers at their lowest level since 1985

Met have started 44 murder investigations this year.
What should be more worrying, is that the clear up rate of 90% has now apparently dropped to 75%.

Despite excellence in forensics and the investigation, it is going backwards.

Now for all my gloom and piss taking, be under no illusion. Homicide command were bloody good (when I had any insight or dealing with them) and amongst the squads detectives fought for the right to be on.

We should be alarmed as to why things are going backwards.

Just a suggestion but we might be able to afford more uniforms on the street if the Police forces could curb their spending on vehicles and customisation as single example. Also a single English force as in Scotland would yield enormous savings.

YM

Just a suggestion but we might be able to afford more uniforms on the street if the Police forces could curb their spending on vehicles and customisation as single example. Also a single English force as in Scotland would yield enormous savings.

YM
Stop that crazy talk.

One service, means less possible posts for seniors. And we don't want that.

YM
Police Scotland is a car crash. They can't even keep senior officers in place.

Police Scotland is a car crash. They can't even keep senior officers in place.
I don't doubt it given the "blue collar" nature of the UK policing and its ability to deal with change, however the concept of a single force is sound.

Hopefully the ability of the management will be improved by increased direct entry at all levels.

YM

I don't doubt it given the "blue collar" nature of the UK policing and its ability to deal with change, however the concept of a single force is sound.

Hopefully the ability of the management will be improved by increased direct entry at all levels.

YM
Ha ha ha.

Not biting.

YM
Oh yeah, that worked especially well for the NCS, then SOCA and now the NCA.
How many operations are current and resulting in arrests daily?
F starts off the first and all is the second word in that very short sentence.
Non-detectives trying to do a qualified detective's job is always going to fail.
Former senior national distribution manager for J Sainsbury is not going to cut it running an infiltration operation into certain crime families, they are serious adversaries with no boundaries or conscience.
Oh, and they are also more professional and have better resources and kit, especially with regards to overtime codes.
Crack on with that theory me old mate, and I hope nobody in your immediate family who you care for is kidnapped for ransom and the operation is overseen by a bloke who previously was head of national loss prevention for TK Maxx (with a glowing CV and good interview skills).
In that case my advice would be that you pay the money, and don't call the cops.

(Unless it is the mother in law or ex-wife. In that case call the cops)

YM
Yup so sound they got rid of us- but then were were smaller than most forces:-D

@harrythebastard

I may have put this elsewhere, but forgive me. Your post about direct entry makes me chuckle.

I once worked (forgive me omitting precise details) on a team with a very competent civilian manager. We were doing live time stuff, with some significant consequences if we stuffed it up.

We got chatting, and he was a former DI (if memory serves) with extensive operational OCG experience who came back to keep some income coming in. But why the police, well he had been on contract to NCA when a young bod (his new boss) came in trying to pick holes in all his policy logs.

There were no holes to pick but never mind. My new chum asked this young thruster what his background was, and he was a former manager of a Next shop.

The resignation went in quickly to prevent homicide apparently.

Anyway, who cares. You don't need any police experience to apply to become a detective Constable in London anyway.

TJF and so is the UK.

Murder rate at an all-time high, Abbott wants 'stop and search' stopped, Mayor of London has gone into hiding...but blames May, robbers break into a man's home threaten him with a screwdriver and in an ensuing scuffle in the kitchen one robber gets killed with a knife, the homeowner now charged with murder.

Certainly seems things are not quite in control.

Murder rate at an all-time high, Abbott wants 'stop and search' stopped, Mayor of London has gone into hiding...but blames May, robbers break into a man's home threaten him with a screwdriver and in an ensuing scuffle in the kitchen one robber gets killed with a knife, the homeowner now charged with murder.

Certainly seems things are not quite in control.
Charged? I doubt they've even finished interviewing him yet. Arresting someone gives them an awful lot of protection legally; they're on the sheet, with a PACE clock running and a brief all over it like a cheap suit. Additionally, one of the SOCAP necessities to arrest is "to prevent loss of evidence", evidence which may assist him.

He will have been swabbed and any clothing he was wearing will be forensically examined; this in itself can assist his account. As previously stated he will have been medically examined to ascertain his fitness to interview and depending on whether he's got family, the exit strategy will include flagging him up to any agencies who can support him.

Ultimately he has allegedly killed someone; that must be investigated and if the public domain account is true, then ideally he'll be NFA'd, but alas, he has a process to get through. Good luck to him I say.

He certainly does look a very fit 78 year old, and, takes out a 38 year old. Not bad for a pensioner. The facts will come out in time, but, strange things sometimes happen. John Fordham was stabbed to death and Noyes was acquitted on the grounds of self defence?? Martin was jailed for manslaughter.

... Mayor of London has gone into hiding...but blames May ....
Honestly, there's nowhere to look but to the tenures of the governments since 2010. I'm no cheerleader for sadiq and am no great fan of abbott, but any copper will tell you the dire and struggling state of Police is thanks to May et al.

Honestly, there's nowhere to look but to the tenures of the governments since 2010. I'm no cheerleader for sadiq and am no great fan of abbott, but any copper will tell you the dire and struggling state of Police is thanks to May et al.
She had help
weve_ruined_the_met.jpg

I have the Pol Fed app on my phone - it has some useful reference info on it including translation of annual salary into 'hourly rate'. Being fairly new in service my hourly rate is a tad over £10 an hour which is less than a shift manager at Macydees. I do get overtime/TOIL and a small allowance for unsocial hours, but for the first 5 years or so the money is cr@p - particularly as I've got a 60 mile round commute. I genuinely don't know how the youngsters cope [actually I do, a lot of them opt out of the pension scheme saving money now but robbing themselves of thousands later on].

I am and always have been a supporter of the Police. I also know about the low pay long hours dangers and drawbacks to the job that are entailed at first hand. It does not blind me to the fact that the piss had been taken, there are bad apples in any organisation, and the Police, to a degree, took on May.

After spells of Labour government spending, very often coffers are low and cutbacks and raising of taxes is always a fairly toxic legacy to inherit, try to deal with, and face the unpopularity that creates.

There are many reasons why cutbacks have happened to many sectors including the police. Other reasons for the rise in crime, soft sentencing...or none, increased uncontrolled immigration from less couth more violent societies. Blaming Mae is however a soft and easy option to fall back on.

Last edited:
We still have police?
They dissapeared off the streets round my way a couple of years ago.
We've got this cunning new invention. You may not have heard of it but it is called an 'automobile' or more commonly a 'car'. By using this device police can respond to more events, quicker than on foot. Technology, ain't it great?

there's nowhere to look but to the tenures of the governments since 2010.
really, try 1997 -2010 under Ken Livingstone, Cooper and Smith. The problems ain't new they've just resurfaced cos the new state of Landan is having turf war- imported for the most part. The Law is quite clear- no weapons no killing, no drugs. It's simpler than the the 10 commandments. But somehow the current inhabitants with the braincells of an ameoba can't work it out without being" dissed" Frankly I couldn't care- it's not our capital anymore