Crime figures up and police numbers at their lowest level since 1985

St.Helens custody suite has been closed as "Old and Obsolete" completely rebuilt and open 2003.
Nearest is Copy lane Kirby. 14 mile round trip.
Magistrates has shut and now in Liverpool, so none appearances at court has weirdly shot up as scrotes can't be arrsed travelling there.

You blockers and escapers need to join the winning team!

Police have NFA'd my job against the guy who came in empty handed selected stuff and took it for a refund. When he had no receipt he exchanged for other stuff.
Staff realised after he had gone and CCTV confirmed it.
So when he did it again later the SAME day and I caught him and filmed it all we rang police. Who had no one available in the whole county, so after 3 hours we let him go after confirming his details with police over phone.
Now its not financially viable to prosecute due to low value.
+£200 in one day, and have tied him to similar offences in other stores in the group.
Fabulous.

It occurred to me recently that with the police shortage of police in the county of Essex , organised crime must be flourishing . I havnt seen a copper in weeks and the c.i d are snowed under with chavs, burglaries and low end drug users .
You might not have seen a Cop in weeks, but not suprisingly people involved in Organsided Crime (investigation not committing) tend to be on the Secret Squirrel part of the spectrum. Working in non descript buildings, and not displaying anything other than a plain photo ID.

Op. TITAN in my (ex) neck of the woods were/are extremely effective. Not least because of the cross Force, Multi Agency approach.

St.Helens custody suite has been closed as "Old and Obsolete" completely rebuilt and open 2003.
Last time I was in St.Helens I got the impression that the whole place was an open plan Custody Suite. Along the lines of Escape from New York. But with unfortunate ready access to the A580.

A friends sister in law (lit.) worked there in the 1990s. The trend amongst miscreant youth at the time was trackie bottoms, tucked into white socks and slippers. Difficult to run in slippers.

Bet they all stick out wearing North Face or Superdry though...

;)

Do the Police actually need more money, or a good audit (independent) to look how the management are spending it? A good start would be looking at vehicle purchasing!
A little while ago I was in a workshop where the CC gave a brief introduction, but then had to rush off, because, very excitedly, he had a meeting with the PCC to agree putting up Council Tax to raise c.£2m for Policing.

The previous afternoon I’d had a meeting where it was identified that by reallocation of space in Force HQ, so one building out of 600 plus, the Force could save, on a conservative estimate, £1.8m per annum. Not cutbacks in staff or operational capability.

Was there any interest, well maybe in five years time, for something that would be done in 6-8 months straight away.

I used to think the Army could p1ss money up the wall.

A little while ago I was in a workshop where the CC gave a brief introduction, but then had to rush off, because, very excitedly, he had a meeting with the PCC to agree putting up Council Tax to raise c.£2m for Policing.

The previous afternoon I’d had a meeting where it was identified that by reallocation of space in Force HQ, so one building out of 600 plus, the Force could save, on a conservative estimate, £1.8m per annum. Not cutbacks in staff or operational capability.

Was there any interest, well maybe in five years time, for something that would be done in 6-8 months straight away.

I used to think the Army could p1ss money up the wall.
I think it's endemic in the public sector, and out of control. We can all see it, except the people spending the money.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Police have NFA'd my job against the guy who came in empty handed selected stuff and took it for a refund. When he had no receipt he exchanged for other stuff.
Staff realised after he had gone and CCTV confirmed it.
So when he did it again later the SAME day and I caught him and filmed it all we rang police. Who had no one available in the whole county, so after 3 hours we let him go after confirming his details with police over phone.
Now its not financially viable to prosecute due to low value.
+£200 in one day, and have tied him to similar offences in other stores in the group.
Fabulous.
Perhaps your Managing Director should write a damning letter to The Chief Constable. It's the only way these people in power get to know had bad it is, I was never shy in telling victims to write to the Ch Supt in charge of the Borough. Give them some effing work to do, or his number two.

Perhaps your Managing Director should write a damning letter to The Chief Constable. It's the only way these people in power get to know had bad it is, I was never shy in telling victims to write to the Ch Supt in charge of the Borough. Give them some effing work to do, or his number two.
It won't make one iota of difference, petty criminals are getting sent down and are out after a few weeks. They get out and go through the cycle again, knowing that they'll have three meals a day and a bed to kip in after they've done wads more nicking.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
It won't make one iota of difference, petty criminals are getting sent down and are out after a few weeks. They get out and go through the cycle again, knowing that they'll have three meals a day and a bed to kip in after they've done wads more nicking.
True, but I like the idea of shovelling just a bit of poo up the ladder.

Do the Police actually need more money, or a good audit (independent) to look how the management are spending it? A good start would be looking at vehicle purchasing!
My Force is years past that level of money saving. We are now axing our L1 Public Order Unit, Intelligence teams being halved, Dog Handlers halving. As a coastal force we are even considering if we can afford to do without a Marine Unit. Just so normal frontline Bobbies aren’t cut any further.

Things are exceptionally thin.

A single I’m sure you’re aware the issue is mental health (and not just amongst Cops). How many people is it a revolving door for, who will commit an offence to go back inside. Sometimes within 24hrs of being let out.

Okay, it’s not like they are going to complain about the quality of the cheeseboard, but compared to being out on the streets, being inside is quite a good option. Certainly better than a doorway in central London or Manchester, no matter how much Special Brew or Spice you can take (worse than being on a training area under a poncho with a soaking wet woolly pully).

I think I’ve posted before, but one of the issues is short sentances. It can mean someone who is normally law abiding doing something completely out of character, and loosing their job, wife (if they’re lucky) etc. and falling out of their norms. As opposed to a dedicated baddie, who looks at time inside as a break.

Not new, look at ‘Porridge’. Then it was a nod and a wink on who controlled Prisons.

If I could offer a solution to the current state of the CJS it would be education. A lot of people who enter the system are very bright, but have no focus - because that’s how they have been ‘raised’.

The rest can be drowned in a barrel and fed to pigs. Tough love.

My Force is years past that level of money saving. We are now axing our L1 Public Order Unit, Intelligence teams being halved, Dog Handlers halving. As a coastal force we are even considering if we can afford to do without a Marine Unit. Just so normal frontline Bobbies aren’t cut any further.

Things are exceptionally thin.
Ah yes, I never quite understood Winsor's axing of "back room staff".

You know, intelligence departments. It used to be a job of work for me to find the people to channel reporting to.

When I had to specifically find people to tell them to make sure officer safety warnings were out out because I had no confidence they would be picked up promptly, I did think the system was broken.

Someone will get hurt or killed because of this, either a blue light responder or a member of the public.

Fortunately in both cases individuals can be blamed, rather than systemic failure.

Carry on Chief Constable, don't listen to those blockers and escapers.

Every day, when i wake up, I thank the Lord I resigned.

Our force has their HQ and a separate station in the same town, you would think they would just operate out of the HQ and sell the station to save some dosh.

Given the terrible over-stretch in Police forces, how does an incident like this get to be on the "priority" list and worthy of a visit and investigation?

Former councillor who criticised town council online receives visit by police

I'm genuinely interested as to why there wouldn't have been fifty other tasks ahead of this one in the to-do list. Even if it was a quiet day, I'm sure that "tidy up your desk" or "walk around the town and say hi to a few people" would be a more instinctive commander/supervisor idea.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
brownhat The NAAFI Bar 16
vvaannmmaann The Intelligence Cell 27
N Current Affairs, News and Analysis 14