Crime figures up and police numbers at their lowest level since 1985

No worries, it is pure confirmation bias on my part.

I echo what he says. As you can see from my posting history, I think the government since 2010 has destroyed the police and does not care about the resultant risk to the public.

Whils they hide behind 24/7 static protection at Westminster, a well policed government security zone and prot teams for the ministerial elite.
well that makes us even, from 2005 Labour destroyed Customs and the Immigration service largely because the police wanted them killed...........:rolleyes:

Longlenny

War Hero
Book Reviewer
A relative of mine is a copper. He stopped a Two's car the other night, the bloke driving got out with a sword in his hand, my relative subdued him, on searching the car large numbers of class A wraps were discovered. The top brass later got in touch with my relative to ask if he had a legal reason to stop and search the car. Is it me?

Think fo the poor nurses, doctors, social workers, Batmagelli whatsername and the Beeb. Where's your sense of duty man?:D
Nurses and doctors can make phenomenal money working agency shifts in hospitals. Many paramedics also do this on their test days.

A relative of mine is a copper. He stopped a Two's car the other night, the bloke driving got out with a sword in his hand, my relative subdued him, on searching the car large numbers of class A wraps were discovered. The top brass later got in touch with my relative to ask if he had a legal reason to stop and search the car. Is it me?
If they're asking that he probably hasn't put good enough grounds in his statement and it needs an additional statement to justify the stop and following search.
Plenty of good police get themselves into trouble by not doing a good job of putting their actions/reasoning/powers and legislation used onto paper.

Well, goodness me.

1/ Should they work for free?
2/ Has it occured to the ES that this is because there are not enough cops?
3/ It makes no mention of the unpaid overtime. I have had friends who have been denied OT, and stayed on to finish files (or come in on days off to finish files/court stuff) because they are in fear of the consequences if they don't. I suspect some supervisors counted on this.*

And the money isn't everything. Like many in the job (and other emergency/public services I am sure), the hours simply meant the overtime was paying for the divorce as your family and then your health fall apart. It's not just going home to dive into a Scrooge McDuck swimming pool filled with gold coins.

*Though i knew one who threw a wobbler and just walked out, and left the supervisor to the consequences. I think that one went sick soon after though, they were under stupid levels of pressure.
£61 k in London is ok if you own a house.

If you aspire to, and want to live somewhere the skies aren’t red with flame every night, £61 k won’t reslly do it. Here in Chester we get a steady trickle of Met, LFB, teachers from the Smoke who get to settling down time and realise you can’t save enough for a house there and having kids whilst housesharing like the bloody Young Ones is a non starter.

Our next door neighbours are a copper and a teacher, they still can’t believe, as native Londoners, that they’re in a nice Victorian house with garden, nice area, cathedral city, for under £195k. They reckon all their similarly aged friends are looking at market towns and places like Chester, York.

The reason we had an affordable police force and other public services a generation ago was that housing wasn’t so ridiculously expensive.

A few lines ago I insinuated that £195k is cheap.

That’s around 7 times average salary.

That’s what’s gone wrong.

Nothing new there mate.

Myself and a colleague followed (in an unmarked vehicle) a lost or stolen car that had been lost by marked units. Not pursuing, just following at a distance keeping a commentary. It stacked going around a corner (we were not pursuing, I remind you), so me and my mate dragged three out for TDA and anything else we could think of.

Next morning, reading the divisional overnight report - I see the Superintendent has ordered Standards to investigate myself and my pal. There was no compliant from the public or the suspects. This was around 2007/08.

Said Superintendent later made Chief Superintendent and was head of CID. He used to walk around in his uniform so everyone could see his rank slides. ****ing lid. I used to take pride saying within his hearing "no one ever got promoted for thief-taking".

So the rot has been in for years. Ask your relative what TJF stands for, and watch the smile.

because you could pay them a pittance & equipment was cheaper?
I think it was because big corporations paid their taxes and IR collected them. Government didn't burden the small and medium businesses with the shortfall. But now all the small businesses have collapsed, the medium ones are now small and the large ones don't pay, there is no taxes to spend.

But of course the official version is Labour and poor people took all the money and spent it on scratch cards and flat screen TVs. No mention of globalisation and neo liberal economics causing massive imbalances in wealth distribution and bail outs for criminally irresponsible banks.

Ever wondered why there are no Police? Ever wondered why you can't get a dentist or GPs appointment? Ever wondered why NHS waiting lists are going from weeks to months, even years? Ever wondered why every rise in rail fares is to pay for 'improvements'? We should be going to work in gold plated carriages with en suite bathrooms and a free buffet by now. Ever wondered why it now costs you £160 if you momentarily drive into a bus lane? (but it's not about raising revenue, they are quick to tell you: OH YES IT FAR KING IS!) Ever wondered why you have to pay £15 to go to the council tip? Ever wondered why you have to subsidise your children's school to the tune of £hundreds every year despite forking out £1400 avg for Council Tax. Ever wondered why you need a permit of £80 a year to park your car on your residential street when only a few years ago it was free? It is because you, Mr & Mrs Average Income are being bled white so the rich and corporations can offshore the nations wealth. And you can piss off with its 'entirely legal' crap! it's immoral. Those that do the work that creates the wealth don't get the opportunity to avoid paying taxes so why should the wealthy and their corporations? There is no trickle down. It's trickling away to secret accounts in the Cayman Islands and Bermuda. First act of a Labour government is to get it back. If they won't hand it over, OP. CORPORATE II. 10 minutes of bombing and shelling from that shiny new carrier and a couple of Type45s and they'll soon cut us a cheque with lots of numbers on it!

Here's a Tory idea: Like the NHS, those that can afford to, should make provision for themselves. Buy your own Police Force. G4S have lots of experience* in the area of doing it on the cheap law enforcement and security. Then smug middle class tossers could have the satisfaction of telling them 'I pay your wages etc;' and actually be correct for once.

Austerity is a political act. There was no need for it in 2010. There is no need for it in 2018. The bailouts have been repaid in full. It's time for investment again, or we will do irreparable and/or very expensive damage to our economy, infrastructure and public services.

*Your experience may vary. From shite to appalling, usually...

Last edited:
well that makes us even, from 2005 Labour destroyed Customs and the Immigration service largely because the police wanted them killed...........:rolleyes:
Genuine questions:
why was that?
did the coalition govt do similar?

I think it was because big corporations paid their taxes and IR collected them. Government didn't burden the small and medium businesses with the shortfall. But now all the small businesses have collapsed, the medium ones are now small and the large ones don't pay, there is no taxes to spend.

But of course the official version is Labour and poor people took all the money and spent it on scratch cards and flat screen TVs. No mention of globalisation and neo liberal economics causing massive imbalances in wealth distribution and bail outs for criminally irresponsible banks.

Ever wondered why there are no Police? Ever wondered why you can't get a dentist or GPs appointment? Ever wondered why NHS waiting lists are going from weeks to months, even years? Ever wondered why every rise in rail fares is to pay for 'improvements'? We should be going to work in gold plated carriages with en suite bathrooms and a free buffet by now. Ever wondered why it now costs you £160 if you momentarily drive into a bus lane? (but it's not about raising revenue, they are quick to tell you: OH YES IT FAR KING IS!) Ever wondered why you have to pay £15 to go to the council tip? Ever wondered why you have to subsidise your children's school to the tune of £hundreds every year despite forking out £1400 avg for Council Tax. Ever wondered why you need a permit of £80 a year to park your car on your residential street when only a few years ago it was free? It is because you, Mr & Mrs Average Income are being bled white so the rich and corporations can offshore the nations wealth. And you can **** off with its 'entirely legal' crap! it's immoral. Those that do the work that creates the wealth don't get the opportunity to avoid paying taxes so why should the wealthy and their corporations? There is no trickle down. It's trickling away.

Here's a Tory idea: Like the NHS, those that can afford to, should make provision for themselves. Buy your own Police Force. G4S have lots of experience* in the area of doing it on the cheap law enforcement and security. Then smug middle class tossers could have the satisfaction of telling them 'I pay your wages etc;' and actually be correct for once.

Austerity is a political act. There was no need for it in 2010. There is no need for it in 2018. The bailouts have been repaid in full. It's time for investment again, or we will do irreparable and/or very expensive damage to our economy, infrastructure and public services.

*Your experience may vary. From shite to appalling, usually...
Whilst the bailouts have been paid in full (source?) the deficit has not. The only thing that has shrunk is the RATE the debt is rising at.

Serious question for our ex Met members .
Who's going to carry the can for 4 fatal stabbings in one night ?
1 ) The Home Secretary
2 ) The Mayor of London
3 ) The Met Police Commissioner
4 ) A Met Police divisional head
5 ) None of the above
I presume 4 separate fatal stabbing incidents are quite serious ? When did this last happen ?
Nobody, it was 4 different parts of London so it was "normal behaviour which coincidentally happened within a randomly defined overnight time period".

Nothing to see here, move along

Edit: I see a couple of people have found this "funny". The reality is what I posted, and whilst empty weasel words will be spoken and promises made, ultimately this is 4 separate incidents which have no links to each other and likely had different circumstances surrounding each one. How do you try and put any blame on one individual just because there were 4 unrelated incidents in a randomly defined timescale? I mean, it depends on the defined area, and when you take each area individually then the fatal stabbings may not be unusual. Taken across London in one overnight period it is unusual, taken across the UK as a whole it would likely not be a big deal on any given day of the week. So it depends on the random definitions of time period and area, meaning the media can make a Big Scary Headline news story out of something instead of reporting what could be classed as more mundane.

Last edited:
Ask your relative what TJF stands for, and watch the smile.
Used in Customs (UKBF) too. And no-one ever got promoted in our lot by finding naughty things in bags or lorries or ships either. Now it's a game of bullshit bingo by something called the 'competency framework' or more correctly 'completely fictitious'

Please show me a force that has announced that it will no longer attend burglaries? Certainly not my force.

If communities decide on a local crime panel that fly tipping is a problem and a priority for them, it will be given some attention and resourcing as is right. Fly tipping often involves the likes of asbestos and other noxious substances which are expensive to dispose of.

Road deaths involving cyclists are serious, every road death costs the taxpayer over £1 million, a few initiatives that save even 1 life pay for themselves thousands of times over.

By the way, what argument was I making?
Well similar things have been going on for quite some time. I'm in the Metropolitan Police area. I had an eight wheel grab lorry stolen from a garage where it was being repaired.

The circumstances caused me to suspect some insider involvement and I rang the Police and asked to speak to the officer who was investigating the theft. The woman on the phone replied that they don't do that. Thinking I had misheard, I repeated my request only to be told that I wasn't listening to her. She repeated that nobody was investigating the theft of my grab lorry worth 25 grand because the Police don't investigate those things anymore.

She was quite non-plussed when I inquired why was I paying taxes, a portion of which were being used to fund her service if they couldn't be bothered to do their jobs. She just advised me that if the lorry was discovered, they would call me and let me know where it was.

It was found ten days later in a field near Reading burnt out with the HIAB missing. They rang me but only after they had rang their preferred towing contractor first to get them to tow it even further away to their depot at Newbury. It cost me £500 to get it back to West London but I suppose in fairness to the towing contractor, they had to cover the cost of the bung to the officers involved for the phone call that netted them the business.

Nobody, it was 4 different parts of London so it was "normal behaviour which coincidentally happened within a randomly defined overnight time period".

Nothing to see here, move along

Edit: I see a couple of people have found this "funny". The reality is what I posted, and whilst empty weasel words will be spoken and promises made, ultimately this is 4 separate incidents which have no links to each other and likely had different circumstances surrounding each one. How do you try and put any blame on one individual just because there were 4 unrelated incidents in a randomly defined timescale? I mean, it depends on the defined area, and when you take each area individually then the fatal stabbings may not be unusual. Taken across London in one overnight period it is unusual, taken across the UK as a whole it would likely not be a big deal on any given day of the week. So it depends on the random definitions of time period and area, meaning the media can make a Big Scary Headline news story out of something instead of reporting what could be classed as more mundane.
Interesting, we live in an age where the prevailing culture is to immediately look for someone in politics or the public sector to blame for the wrong doings of free willed individuals.

We have taken responsibility away from people and put that on the shoulders of others. We have infantilised people who are in their mid to late teens by telling them they are still children and it’s not their fault.
We have a generation of adults whose immediate response is to turn to The State to sort out their lives and give them a convenient scapegoat for when they do wrong or can’t live their lives by any moral code.

Sad really.

Genuine questions:
why was that?
did the coalition govt do similar?
When I say the police, what I really mean was A CPO. They wanted the one thing we had. A national database and access to it. By Extension so did the HO. As traffic increased over the years, the one the one thing that stayed static was our budget and staffing. Gongs depended on it. So when Blairio found a way to hit us, it pleased ACPO no end as they stumbled over things that had got through the bottlenecks of customs and moaned at our under performance. He used the Butterfield report to soften us up, got rid of the NIS and created SOCA. That was police led. I've said this before, when you have a national force that is smaller than any regional Police force- for the through put faced, and you won't take measures "Houston we have a problem". We now have a Police led Border force, we now have police style eps. The Coalition merely compounded UKBA problems left us by Ma Cooper and Jaqui Smith. Tarts the pair of em.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
brownhat The NAAFI Bar 16
vvaannmmaann The Intelligence Cell 27
N Current Affairs, News and Analysis 14