• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Crime figures up and police numbers at their lowest level since 1985

It is possible to do more with less, provided that the initial system is a lumbering and inefficient monster.

Right now we have a system whereby police forces are more or less separate entities; separate budgets, separate hierarchies, separate sourcing and so on. Duplication of effort right across the board; there is no reason why we should have so many procurement and stores departments all doing the same thing right across the board.

Amalgamate all police forces into administrative entity with separate force-areas and a lot of back-office functions currently duplicated can all be merged, and better deals from suppliers based on exclusivity of contract can then be negotiated.
Hasn't that been introduced in Scotland with some very mixed results ?

Amalgamate all police forces into administrative entity with separate force-areas and a lot of back-office functions currently duplicated can all be merged, and better deals from suppliers based on exclusivity of contract can then be negotiated.
What madness is this.

You'll not need as many chief constables. This is bad. ACPO will be upset.

Sorry, a national force is not linked to its local community.

Sorry, will get it right one day.

The problem is, when sensible idea's are put forward that in the long term would save untold man-hours and money....they always involve an initial setup cost and organisation that the management cannot fund.
Areas that impact on my working shift greatly and quite simply prevent me acting as the police the public desire are ever increasing.

Missing Persons.( MISPERS )

This covers all categories from low to high risk.

When a call comes out of a dementia sufferer or elderly person seen wandering early morning or late at night, a hospital patient gone missing or some other instance that rings the alarm bells....its all hands on deck to get out and immediately search/get circumstances/background...a youngster who has gone missing out of the blue....a person where there is a genuine suicide risk, etc. This is police work.High Risk.

When you have a criminal, who due to their age or other circumstance is classed as a missing person when they do a runner for the 20th time from a hostel.....

You have a druggie who has done nothing more than mentioned that his life is shit......

You have a street drinker who is homeless and doesn't turn up for an appointment....

A welfare check on someone who has not been seen for 6 months....

Do these MISPER teams really need to be warranted police officers, or could it be an organisation that is contracted to do these low level checks and call police if required...because its always police who do this at the moment. At least two of you every shift are on MISPER duty if it involves knocking on doors, the rest of the shift is contacting hospitals every six hours/ financial checks/ incident checks/associated persons check/relatives. I would argue that the knocking on doors should be uniformed police, but not the computer work.

Mental Health.

Ever increasing workload by other agencies not getting a grip.

And just in case we get bored, the persons we have taken to hospital for a voluntary admission to be treated by the mental health team at the hospital, often turn up as a high risk missing person because, without a doubt , the staff at the hospital will let out the person who said they wanted to kill themselves for a unsupervised fag break....and they run off, and now the police have to search for a high suicide risk for the rest of the night.

Every bloody night.

SOCIAL SERVICES are a waste of time. Full Stop.This ends up being added to our mental health of missing persons.

The police are the de-facto social services. After the Friday rush, that Social throw towards us before they knock off for the weekend, that they of course did not manage to contact the person during their own shift. We end up meeting a person in utter dire straights. I take the time to write up an accurate report that is accessed by all agencies involved with a person. I go to the length of a full description of their living conditions, emotional state, our interaction that caused worry, financial state and basically leave it in no doubt of how this person requires immediate help after we have dealt with them, normally mental health/ hospital.

One Team, my arsse.

The problem is, when sensible idea's are put forward that in the long term would save untold man-hours and money....they always involve an initial setup cost and organisation that the management cannot fund.
Areas that impact on my working shift greatly and quite simply prevent me acting as the police the public desire are ever increasing.

Missing Persons.( MISPERS )

This covers all categories from low to high risk.

When a call comes out of a dementia sufferer or elderly person seen wandering early morning or late at night, a hospital patient gone missing or some other instance that rings the alarm bells....its all hands on deck to get out and immediately search/get circumstances/background...a youngster who has gone missing out of the blue....a person where there is a genuine suicide risk, etc. This is police work.High Risk.

When you have a criminal, who due to their age or other circumstance is classed as a missing person when they do a runner for the 20th time from a hostel.....

You have a druggie who has done nothing more than mentioned that his life is shit......

You have a street drinker who is homeless and doesn't turn up for an appointment....

A welfare check on someone who has not been seen for 6 months....

Do these MISPER teams really need to be warranted police officers, or could it be an organisation that is contracted to do these low level checks and call police if required...because its always police who do this at the moment. At least two of you every shift are on MISPER duty if it involves knocking on doors, the rest of the shift is contacting hospitals every six hours/ financial checks/ incident checks/associated persons check/relatives. I would argue that the knocking on doors should be uniformed police, but not the computer work.

Mental Health.

Ever increasing workload by other agencies not getting a grip.

And just in case we get bored, the persons we have taken to hospital for a voluntary admission to be treated by the mental health team at the hospital, often turn up as a high risk missing person because, without a doubt , the staff at the hospital will let out the person who said they wanted to kill themselves for a unsupervised fag break....and they run off, and now the police have to search for a high suicide risk for the rest of the night.

Every bloody night.

SOCIAL SERVICES are a waste of time. Full Stop.This ends up being added to our mental health of missing persons.

The police are the de-facto social services. After the Friday rush, that Social throw towards us before they knock off for the weekend, that they of course did not manage to contact the person during their own shift. We end up meeting a person in utter dire straights. I take the time to write up an accurate report that is accessed by all agencies involved with a person. I go to the length of a full description of their living conditions, emotional state, our interaction that caused worry, financial state and basically leave it in no doubt of how this person requires immediate help after we have dealt with them, normally mental health/ hospital.

One Team, my arsse.
Exactly. But as Theresa May said, our job is to deal with nothing more than crime, how naive could she be. Funnily enough you don't hear that drivel pass her or her colleagues lips anymore.

Exactly. But as Theresa May said, our job is to deal with nothing more than crime, how naive could she be. Funnily enough you don't hear that drivel pass her or her colleagues lips anymore.
Funnily enough, If we all decided to pay more taxes to provide services for those that dont pay taxes any increase in wages would be defunct.

Myself, I would happily pay more taxes if it went to the plod and mod. ( Land dont get any of it untill they sort out Warrior, CR2, etc).

Funnily enough, If we all decided to pay more taxes to provide services for those that dont pay taxes any increase in wages would be defunct.

Myself, I would happily pay more taxes if it went to the plod and mod. ( Land dont get any of it untill they sort out Warrior, CR2, etc).
Same here, if more was funded on plod and the prison service it would be less of a burden on the NHS, for example all the thieving smack heads could be locked up instead of just freely wandering the streets knowing that they've literally got to commit murder before getting locked up.

My personal view is that HS2 should be considered for cancellation and the estimated £59 billion used for more pressing and needed investment in public services and infrastructure.

My personal view is that HS2 should be considered for cancellation and the estimated £59 billion used for more pressing and needed investment in public services and infrastructure.
People in the borth might disagree with you, should all investment in public services and infrastructure be focused on the south?

People in the borth might disagree with you, should all investment in public services and infrastructure be focused on the south?
People from Borth have the right to disagree.

I don't believe that the £59 billion which in all likelihood will rise over the life of the project will provide a good enough return to justify the expenditure. I'm no planner or expert you understand.

Where in any of my posts have I suggested that investment should be limited to The South?

People from Borth have the right to disagree.

I don't believe that the £59 billion which in all likelihood will rise over the life of the project will provide a good enough return to justify the expenditure. I'm no planner or expert you understand.

Where in any of my posts have I suggested that investment should be limited to The South?
I just think that it should either be raise taxes and accept it, or accept the level of services we get.

Us northerners are not interested in HS2. We want transport links up here improving, not just a slightly faster route to London. Besides once it reaches Birmingham the rest of it will be cancelled because London needs another railway.

Us northerners are not interested in HS2. We want transport links up here improving, not just a slightly faster route to London. Besides once it reaches Birmingham the rest of it will be cancelled because London needs another railway.
It's all very telling when every press conference or news article mentioning HS2 contains the line 'Will make it x mins quicker to get to London'.
Why do we need that? We need the trans-pennine route upgrading, we need our road links improving.
We live in an age where you don't need to go to London. Ever since Skype became ubiquitous the need to go and see people in London and spend £xxxx on a two day trip are, thankfully, over.
HS2 is all about making London richer and not giving 'The North' the chances it needs.
It's almost as if there is A Plan.

You'll not need as many chief constables. This is bad. ACPO will be upset.

Sorry, a national force is not linked to its local community.
Too many CCs, turkeys, Christmas.

Given the move towards national assets, the use of shared services (such as payrole*) and regional based teams, such as TITAN, a national Force isn't near, but I think it could be closer than expected.

*Payrole is now managed centrally, across local Government and agencies. In the first month it was a disaster, and last month I got paid 20% of my salary. This resulted in a strongly worded letter (not email).

If you believe it would ever reach the likes of you and I, you need a holiday.

Latest Threads