Crime-Fighting OAP Refuses Rolex

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by exnorthener, Jan 14, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. not sure if it has been done!!!

but bravo that man! may he have many a free pint

An 84-year-old man who foiled sledgehammer-wielding robbers and refused a Rolex watch reward has insisted he does not think he is a hero.

Security camera clips of Mr Grove (right) taking on a robber

William Grove is to receive a commendation for his bravery in tackling the balaclava-clad teenagers as they smashed their way into a jewellers.

The war veteran was the only person to intervene as the raid unfolded at an Ernest Jones store in Richmond, south west London, in front of more than 50 shoppers and office workers.

Using skills he learned with the RAF, Mr Grove grabbed one of the teenagers as he stretched through the broken window to reach some of the jewellery.

I just had that technique (to restrain a robber) in the back of my mind there - it's like when you learn to ride a bicycle, you never forget.

Have-a-go-hero William Grove

The pensioner then tore off one of the raiders' balaclavas before they dropped their sledgehammers and fled.

DNA evidence from the hat proved crucial in catching and convicting the criminals.

One of the 17-year-olds, who came from Sydenham, was found guilty after denying burglary at Richmond Youth Court. He will be sentenced at Camberwell Youth Court later this month.

War veteran Mr Grove

The second 17-year-old has already been jailed for six months, having pleaded guilty on December 5.

The grateful jewellers offered to give Mr Grove a Rolex watch.

But the widower, who had recently lost his wife after a long battle with Alzheimer's, refused the gift and instead asked them to make a charity donation.

Mr Grove told Sky News crime correspondent Martin Brunt that he did not think of himself as a hero, but preferred the term "responsible citizen".

Asked why it had been left to him to intervene, he said it was perhaps because he knew a technique to control and restrain the robbers, whereas others may not have.

"I just had that technique in the back of my mind there - it's like when you learn to ride a bicycle, you never forget," he said.

Det Con Patrick Flanagan, who led the investigation, described Mr Grove, who lives in Twickenham, as "extraordinary".
  2. Top Bloke......................

For a crab like.... :wink:
  3. Can someone contact the shop, and if the old bloke agrees, auction the Rolex for H4H?
  4. No doubt when it goes to trial this bloody judge'll call a halt because the witness is too credible!
  5. I don't know about anybody else, but this really showed me the difference between the values of the present generation and this utterly marvellous, heroic man. He's 84 years old, FFS!
    Talk about morally uplifting! Long may this most gracious and honourable gentleman live in peace and serenity!

6. My utmost respect to the gentleman.
  7. It will be a terrible shame when this country has lost all men like him, a couple more generations and this country will be nothing but a bunch of chav monkeys. Bravo that man.