Crete 2016 - rip-off or paradise island?

Crete for holiday ?

• Rip off central - avoid

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Happy times -go again tomorrow!

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • Why go anywhere outside England?

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Crete is fine-if it wasn't for the foreigners

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • I couldn't find Crete or my Arrse with both hands

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Mate of mine just came back from a week on Crete.

Loved the island , hated his accom and felt overcharged for everything.

I haven't been there since 2003.

I suspect the recent dive in the Sterling Euro rate didn't help.

Views welcome.

Are Cretans more rapacious than elsewhere? Is it simply the season?

Over to Hon Members

I've been to Crete a couple of times now and both times have been brilliant. Personally, I didn't find it too expensive - okay it was before Brexit - and the people were so friendly, they couldn't do enough for you.

My grandfather loved it.....Drinking, shagging, scrapping - the locals bent over backwards for it never cost him a penny..... He was in the SS at the time however .

Went in May, stayed on the East of the Island - loved it and had a fabulous time, even if it did rain. Suspect value depends as always on where you go, and what you do?

The airport on the other hand is enough to make me want to ban passports for about 99% of the UK population...

Worth pointing out that the significant VAT reduction that used to apply to the Greek Islands has been removed by central government in order to comply with EU financial bail out requirements.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Wow,that is actually quite significant - must've hit the smaller islands badly. Don't know how far Crete is reliant on the tourist Euro,but I'm guessing that apart from fishing,NATO rents and hill-farming there ain't much .

My grandfather loved it.....Drinking, shagging, scrapping - the locals bent over backwards for it never cost him a penny..... He was in the SS at the time however .
Uh-huh....Option 5 then?

All down to Student's heroic fallschirmjaegers apparently - your Taid was a fackin' liar.

Razing of Kandanos - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:
Crete is a wonderful island with a great race of people.
I know because I lived and worked there for 8 years .
Holiday wise, I would suggest, at this present time, don't go into a high street travel shop and buy a package deal.
Get on to eg. Expat Forum Crete

That google search will find you leads to far greater holiday experiences, and flights, than if you buy a package holiday.

Go to some ' All in ' resort and you will have sun, ok beach, ok food ( lots of it ) ridiculous amounts of crap alcohol and absolutely no experience of where you have actually been.

Crete is worth much more than that, and with research, you can enjoy it more.

Go to some ' All in ' resort and you will have sun, ok beach, ok food ( lots of it ) ridiculous amounts of crap alcohol and absolutely no experience of where you have actually been.
Agreed.

We stayed in a little self-catering place on both occasions. It was a family run business (as a lot of them are) and we had such a good time there, we went back the next time.

There were a few places within a short distance that did the all-inclusive job and to be honest, it looked crap. Row upon row of people laid on the beach and/or shuffling to the hotel.

Because of my mobility, I can't walk far but a few days were spent exploring nearby locations with the help of a taxi or two. Okay, a lot of my time was spent near the pool, but we had a mixture of exploring the island and relaxing in the sun.

I'd definitely go back.

Went in May, stayed on the East of the Island - loved it and had a fabulous time, even if it did rain. Suspect value depends as always on where you go, and what you do?

The airport on the other hand is enough to make me want to ban passports for about 99% of the UK population...
Go again, to the west side .
Fly into Hania, find local digs, hire a car and travel around.
You will see fantastic stuff , meet great people, and most importantly, witness another lifestyle.

I was there earlier this year. I enjoyed it thouroughly Nd everyone was really nkce. Especially the the cute barmaids, bit then they were all eastern european. Wasnt that expensive but then my hotel did float and was painted grey.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Go again, to the west side .
Fly into Hania, find local digs, hire a car and travel around.
You will see fantastic stuff , meet great people, and most importantly, witness another lifestyle.
is that little tin hut still there-the old man who was hit by a bullet when the Germans parachuted in had turned it into a museum. My friend and I approached and he asked if we were German - when we said British his attitude changed completely and he spent ages telling us about each memento in his collection

Mate of mine just came back from a week on Crete.

Loved the island , hated his accom and felt overcharged for everything.

I haven't been there since 2003.

I suspect the recent dive in the Sterling Euro rate didn't help.

Views welcome.

Are Cretans more rapacious than elsewhere? Is it simply the season?

Over to Hon Members
I went there in 2007. I loved it and would happily live there. The locals were friendly and it didn't cost the earth. And for a history buff it has a lot to offer as well. Very satisfying couple of days exploring Suda Bay War Cemetery, Maleme and Knossos.

Book a holiday now.

is that little tin hut still there-the old man who was hit by a bullet when the Germans parachuted in had turned it into a museum. My friend and I approached and he asked if we were German - when we said British his attitude changed completely and he spent ages telling us about each memento in his collection
If you mean the one up in the mountains near Askifou, yes still there.
You cant drive anywhere in Crete for more than about 10 minutes without passing a memorial to locals executed in retribution for local resistance to the occupying forces.

Travel around exploring the island and you will be often asked, politely, " Are you German? "
If the answer is Ya! the cost of your drink / meal / car hire insurance will mysteriously increase.
Learn how to say , in Greek, " No I bloody well aren't, I'm British" , you will be treated more like a guest than a customer.

My Grandfather in Law enjoyed his visit as a youth.

Until the Fallschirmjagers turned up.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Have been to Crete many times. It's big enough and varied to have different sorts of holiday.
You can go all outdoors DoE Award and tab it around the white mountains and do wild camping,
You can do 18-30 get arrested go to hospital beer and nightlife on the north east round Agios Nikoliaos/Malia.
Do the looking at piles of old stones, churches, museums/ charming old towns and WW2 (Knossos/Rethymon/Hania).
The luxury all inclusive stuff or private villla on the north.
The quieter beaches smaller towns on the south west Paleochora/Sougia,
Hippy stuff at Matala. Sleeping on beaches round Sfakia.

As for VFM never felt ripped off.

( oo there's an arrse trip! "Follow the Paddy Leigh Fermor Trail " Kidnap German GOC Crete in the north get him to the south coast)

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Thanks for all your comments. I'd love to revisit and do the White Mountains trail.
For ease of reference

Have been to Crete many times. It's big enough and varied to have different sorts of holiday.
You can go all outdoors DoE Award and tab it around the white mountains and do wild camping,
You can do 18-30 get arrested go to hospital beer and nightlife on the north east round Agios Nikoliaos/Malia.
Do the looking at piles of old stones, churches, museums/ charming old towns and WW2 (Knossos/Rethymon/Hania).
The luxury all inclusive stuff or private villla on the north.
The quieter beaches smaller towns on the south west Paleochora/Sougia,
Hippy stuff at Matala. Sleeping on beaches round Sfakia.

As for VFM never felt ripped off.

( oo there's an arrse trip! "Follow the Paddy Leigh Fermor Trail " Kidnap German GOC Crete in the north get him to the south coast)
That would indeed be a trip .
I'm in

This bloke has a few nice pics of crossing the White Mountains (Lefka Ori in greek) but google image search will throw up any similar number. It's a good trip and only takes a couple of days and is not that hard so with planning can easily be combined inside a holiday with beach and beer...
"Mountainous desert" Crossing Lefka Ori - Hiking Creta
Paper Maps are/were a bit of a problem -Greece doesn't have anything like the OS series I remember in the 1990s the best maps were to be got from Russia - the damned Reds had mapped the place in very high detail in prep for WW3, don't know the situation now.
There is another walk - along the E4 Coastal path along the south coast
E4 - a mountain walk along the spine of Crete

Latest Threads