Cressida Dick looks Stuffed

To be fair, the war between SB and the Anti-Terrorist Squad resulted in a huge loss of professionalism that contributed to that farce. The Special Operations control room had previously been run by Special Branch. There was 'cockpit recording', unique numbered message pads with carbon paper for all concerned for the purpose of questions and updates (and everything was logged and sealed afterward) and a rule of silence in the room because ONLY the Controller was allowed to speak. Sightseers were verboten and the Controller is God, no one outranks them.
When SB lost the war, a Night of the Long Knives / Petty minded vindictiveness, got rid of quite a few capable officers, and the professional standards of running an operation room were kicked into touch.
As related to me, by someone who I know and trust who has run ops in there as Controller, there was no 'control. The first thing Dick should have done was hoof out the sightseers, all of whom were gossiping in a huddle, no matter their rank, and tell the rest of the room to shut up as there was a lot of chatting going on and absolutely nothing was being logged as it should.
In the aftermath, Chigwell Sports Centre was booked and all the senior ranks involved had a long day there, why? possibly sorting out their stories, no one revealed anything yet and nothing was minuted.
I have heard of officers who were told that giving evidence to the enquiry was likely to be detrimental to their careers and I think it is a matter of record that no interest was shown in bringing absentee officers in to give evidence.
And where was the 'cockpit recording'? Did no one switch it on because of that loss of professionalism, or did it get wiped?

The Met, under Ian Blaire, became second rate, too many inept senior officers making decisions that made their lives easier rather than the public's lives safer.

This is one of the best posts on this thread. If the stuff about the incident room and Dick is true, it explains a hell of a lot.

Wouldn't want to do it today.
Yes you do.
We can hear you now.

"Fire up the Panda.
Crank handle's over....there...somewhere....."
1631880031754.png

1631881009415.png

"Who's got the Webley?"

"You have"

"Not me, you were supposed to have it"

"F*** I left it in my top drawer"

"Not to worry, we'll each grab a dustbin lid for protection and go in hard with truncheons. They won't know what hit 'em!"

"You're right, then straight back to the nick and get pissed."

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
I just remember Blaire for apologising.
It seemed he was on the tv every five minutes apologising for this that and the other, he was wetter than a freshly washed lettuce.
I remember in the canteen having a “discussion“ with a young insp who was on fast track I was saying he should resign over the latest fiasco, of course mr fast track was defending him, just as things were getting really close to the mark, a call came out and I left.
He wasn’t my team insp thank Gawd, just another wet on his way to helping the Met what it is today.
I have no recollection what this fiasco was all about.:slow:
See my largish post on the other Police thread, referring to the smarmy Tony Blair, (not long before he moved into No10) rocking up as the key note speaker, when the federation bussed 10,000 of us into Wembley Arena for the Sheehy Enquiry talks.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
See my largish post on the other Police thread, referring to the smarmy Tony Blair, (not long before he moved into No10) rocking up as the key note speaker, when the federation bussed 10,000 of us into Wembley Arena for the Sheehy Enquiry talks.
I saw Ian Blair, the Commissioner I took a day off (counted as a tour of duty) to hear and see first hand what he was like when he gave a wonderful( :slow: ) speech at The Methodist Hall Westminster, I must say the building was a damn site more impressive than the speaker, still it was a jolly and few pints afterwards were badly needed and enjoyed.

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
I saw Ian Blair, the Commissioner I took a day off (counted as a tour of duty) to hear and see first hand what he was like when he gave a wonderful( :slow: ) speech at The Methodist Hall Westminster, I must say the building was a damn site more impressive than the speaker, still it was a jolly and few pints afterwards were badly needed and enjoyed.
Our coach driver and duty Skipper were very ameniable after Wembley. We stopped three times between Wembley and Slough/Maidenhead so 40 odd of us had a mini pub crawl. (Getting paid (or getting another rest day, I forget) and going on the piss is for winners!)

On the whole, it was dark days though. £12 grand a year for holding the line, busting a gut, getting dicked around, the mass of paperwork and eventually getting stabbed finished it for me.

No fond memories.

Our coach driver and duty Skipper were very ameniable after Wembley. We stopped three times between Wembley and Slough/Maidenhead so 40 odd of us had a mini pub crawl. (Getting paid (or getting another rest day, I forget) and going on the piss is for winners!)

On the whole, it was dark days though. £12 grand a year for holding the line, busting a gut, getting dicked around, the mass of paperwork and eventually getting stabbed finished it for me.

No fond memories.

Sorry to hear that.

No fond memories.

You'd have to be a masochist to make a career out of those conditions. I thought about joining the police when I was a squaddie. It was always a minor 'what if' regret in life that I didn't.

With hindsight, I'm very glad I didn't. I might have really enjoyed some aspects of the job, but I'd never have coped with the bullshit.

When I looked at the Met, it seemed to offer a pretty good overall package of pay and benefits for a young man. That obviously went to ratshit.

It was a very tough/physical job back then. I never even made a claim as injury came with the territory.

It hasn’t changed. I have never made a claim either, numerous injuries in both the army and police. At least you did it and took up the challenge.

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
You'd have to be a masochist to make a career out of those conditions. I thought about joining the police when I was a squaddie. It was always a minor 'what if' regret in life that I didn't.

With hindsight, I'm very glad I didn't. I might have really enjoyed some aspects of the job, but I'd never have coped with the bullshit.

When I looked at the Met, it seemed to offer a pretty good overall package of pay and benefits for a young man. That obviously went to ratshit.
Everybody I joined the Police with are out now, some did 30 years, most did 5 years. Simon B finished as a Chief Supt, but thats only one from one hundred and twenty odd. He was always going to do well. Always the diplomat whilst we were scrapping outside the nightclub and his report writing was supurb.

I am hugely anti the current thinking on recruitment. Having a degree will not help our communities at street level. Good Intelligence, mixed in with sound knowledge of the law is brilliant, but a robust, physical presence is as important.

The scroat that just opened the door isn't interested in section 17 subsection iii of the ways and means act, he'll just want to know if it's worth his time to put the iron bar down or not.

What cops are dealing with now in my city centre. Dealing with spice addicts means getting down and dirty, there are no conversations to be had, none that make sense in a known language anyway, and If you don't keep track of what's going on, take your eye off the ball for two seconds, you will get hurt.

Rainbow cars, "lending" your hat to somebody whilst you have a dance with them at a festival, kneeling in front of a baying mob in front of your shield line and being shy to get stuck in, because there are a hundred cameras in your face, is not for me.

I've moved on.

Everybody I joined the Police with are out now, some did 30 years, most did 5 years. Simon B finished as a Chief Supt, but thats only one from one hundred and twenty odd. He was always going to do well. Always the diplomat whilst we were scrapping outside the nightclub and his report writing was supurb.

I am hugely anti the current thinking on recruitment. Having a degree will not help our communities at street level. Good Intelligence, mixed in with sound knowledge of the law is brilliant, but a robust, physical presence is as important.

The scroat that just opened the door isn't interested in section 17 subsection iii of the ways and means act, he'll just want to know if it's worth his time to put the iron bar down or not.

What cops are dealing with now in my city centre. Dealing with spice addicts means getting down and dirty, there are no conversations to be had, none that make sense in a known language anyway, and If you don't keep track of what's going on, take your eye off the ball for two seconds, you will get hurt.

Rainbow cars, "lending" your hat to somebody whilst you have a dance with them at a festival, kneeling in front of a baying mob in front of your shield line and being shy to get stuck in, because there are a hundred cameras in your face, is not for me.

I've moved on.
Everybody I joined the Police with are out now, some did 30 years, most did 5 years.

That's a retention level on a par with the infantry. Interesting.

That's not even policing. It's shovelling up human garbage. They should have a machine to do that - something that fires a weighted net, attached to a winch and a cage.

Rainbow cars, "lending" your hat to somebody whilst you have a dance with them at a festival, kneeling in front of a baying mob in front of your shield line

Utter failure of leadership on all counts. Police officers kneeling in front of a baying mob is shameful beyond words.

Right and what are we going to do with our solidarity?

When you find some let me know.
Sorry mate, but I am not going to argue with you.
You asked what Harry and co would do and I told you.

Now as someone with an enquiring mind looking in from the outside it all seemed to go wrong for you with the Winsor Reforms.
Around 2011 or 2012 it appears.

When you get 5 minutes to yourself Google the Normington Report or Police Federations Independant Review and read it.
Only 38 pages long and it makes for some very interesting reading.
It may explain why your terms and conditions changed quite quickly to someone on the outside wearing rose-tinted glasses.
(Can't do a link as I am on the road on me phone but it was published by the RSA)
Let me know when you have read it too.

Latest Threads