Cressida Dick looks Stuffed

The Police Federation have surrendered every single allowance and every concession that was hard won on your behalf by previous generations since 1997, as has been pointed out to you before on this and other threads.
Whether the Police Federation demur or acquiesce on any matter is of absolutely no consequence whatsoever. Police officers are unable to take industrial action of any kind. The Federation are unable to direct,
encourage or organise any such action. It was all designed by government and fixed in law to be that way.

Providing a proposed action by government complies with other legislation, police officers ultimately have only two choices; put up or else find another job.

Any concessions granted by any government have always been and will always be either at their own whim (usually with strings attached) or else as the result of insurmountable pressure from other quarters at a time when they are unable to resist.

Whether the Police Federation demur or acquiesce on any matter is of absolutely no consequence whatsoever. Police officers are unable to take industrial action of any kind. The Federation are unable to direct,
encourage or organise any such action. It was all designed by government and fixed in law to be that way.

Providing a proposed action by government complies with other legislation, police officers ultimately have only two choices; put up or else find another job.

Any concessions granted by any government have always been and will always be either at their own whim (usually with strings attached) or else as the result of insurmountable pressure from other quarters at a time when they are unable to resist.
Cops have some leverage. If every weapons trained officer was to decline to handle firearms the government would have a serious wobble.

Cops have some leverage. If every weapons trained officer was to decline to handle firearms the government would have a serious wobble.
I imagine there will be some clause about breaching contracts or unofficial industrial action or similar. One or two scapegoats would probably be made an example of pour encourager les autres.
Perversely, one thing you can always rely on the establishment to do, is to bring the full weight of their ire down on those who have something to lose and have always served and followed the rules.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Yeh it’s been said before who in their right mind will throw in a cushy number just to return to Division? Sorry Borough.

Yeh it’s been said before who in their right mind will throw in a cushy number just to return to Division? Sorry Borough.
Interesting comment. I always thought that firearms was a stressful job, with the additional anxiety of being thrown to the wolves if you make a split second error of judgement.

I had no idea it was a cushy number.

Interesting comment. I always thought that firearms was a stressful job, with the additional anxiety of being thrown to the wolves if you make a split second error of judgement.

Firearms officers in my county, get an extra £2k a year, work 4 on 4 off, drive great vehicles and don’t deal with hardly any grief police work.

They are very well trained and it’s a slog to get there, I respect them for that. However a shot hasn’t been fired in my force in anger by one of our ARV in over 30 years.

If you think that they are going to give that up to come back to shift, then you are wrong.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer

Oh stood outside Westminster 8 hours a day and number 10 or running around like a blue arse fly everyday?
The odds of being called into action are pretty high, look at the link.

Yes it only shows fatal incidents I don’t know how many times a year an officer gets to use his weapon in anger, I would say not many.
Armed response teams driving around all day not answering any calls is a damn site easier than Borough work. ETA just seen @wetsmonkey above post which sums it up.

Firearms officers in my county, get an extra £2k a year, work 4 on 4 off, drive great vehicles and don’t deal with hardly any grief police work.

They are very well trained and it’s a slog to get there, I respect them for that. However a shot hasn’t been fired in my force in anger by one of our ARV in over 30 years.

If you think that they are going to give that up to come back to shift, then you are wrong.
So, notwithstanding the good number they’re on. If every AFO nationally went on some work to rule type scenario or universally decided not to play. Is there a big stick which could be deployed to bring them to heel?

Copied across from the general "All inter-web links" thread . . . as it somehow speaks to the desperate state of today's policing . . . that the locals feel both empowered to be able to do so . . . and, abandoned by the those who should be keeping them safe . . . both, at the same time :( .

"A man had his hand cut off after being attacked with his own machete by angry vigilantes, according to locals".

Reported to the IOTC - Independent Office for Taliban Conduct..

The AFOs in the Met would never do it, Royalty & diplomatic protection have posts that must be manned every day, there is no overtime restriction. An operational area could be down to their last officer, if he / she is an AFO and a post needs to be manned guess where they will be sent. Plus it is one of the few remaining sources of overtime no one is going to give tht up.

The whole police firearms thing looks to those outside the job to be more important than it actually is.

If it ever came to it and things got to stage where those on the ground wanted to show their displeasure, then the handing back of driving authourisations would mean the whole shebang would grind to a complete halt in about 10mins. Not as sexy sounding as guns n shit, but 100% more effective.

Highly unlikely, going by what serving officers on here have said. Apart from anything else, it takes significant time and effort to qualify as an AFO. How many officers would be willing to give up that status and return to normal response duties?

I'm not saying it can't or won't happen. Just that it's unlikely.

Highly unlikely, going by what serving officers on here have said. Apart from anything else, it takes significant time and effort to qualify as an AFO. How many officers would be willing to give up that status and return to normal response duties?

I'm not saying it can't or won't happen. Just that it's unlikely.
And even if they did hand in their tickets there are more than enough officers on Borough willing to take their place, abeit there would be a training and experience cost. Most officers want to get off Borough (in the Met) with all the griefy domestics, shitty shifts and other crap that they are subjected to.

As others have said, it will never happen. However when AFO's have threatened to do this after al the Duggan witch hunt and talk of taking away their right to silence after a firearms incident, the government has wobbled.