Cressida Dick looks Stuffed

Equally, there will be no lockdown or curfew in the coming days, because there isn’t enough cops to enforce it. Even with the military mobilised I don’t think it could be effectively policed.
Nor should it, but I accept city conditions are different. I still need to exercise my dog and am normally out when other people not. Any people i meet as dog walkers are very responsible.

arcticfox042

War Hero
Build accomodation blocks , canteen , gym, bar on Police property for any Police that want to avail themselves of it.
Cheap accomodation, cheap food, cheap gym and a cheap bar.
It would make their wage packet go much further, make their bodies fitter and make morale and esprit de corps higher.

Win, win, win.
That was Hendon training centre in the 80's

As ex-colonial will attest Colonial Police generally had their own cantonment for all ranks -- this way, lowly front line constables and their families were in protected zone away from riff-raff who might seek revenge or other retribution. Illustrious chaps like ex-colonial were housed as well and has their own pub which had excellent prices to match the Army messes. The primo Mess was the Mobile Unit which for all practical purposes was an infantry unit designed to deal with 'riotous acts by enemies of the Queen' and any other local villains who fancied a crack at members of the NRP. On one particular occasion the platoon leader, "Captain Mobbs", rounded up a raft of empty 45 gallon drums and stuffed 4 or more rioters into each drum -- the inhabitants then had to clutch on each other to prevent spilling over and hurting each other in a fall. Surprisingly no medal or commendations fro dealing so swiftly and so lacking in fatalities or "Heroes of the Revolution"

My bold very true, even down to accommodating our "houseboys" and their families. Indeed part of the employment law was that each employer in NR was responsible for the housing, feeding & welfare including health of each employee. In the NRP we were provided with free accommodation for them & they could use the healthcare provided free for our Police. Apart from paying their wages out of our pay, we had to provide basic food, normally a large 25 kilo sack of mealie flour and a few pieces of "boys" meat, normally offcuts from the better meat.
This cost us about 10% of our pay.
Our own food we had to pay for out of our mess bills which also covered the cost of the mess staff, 1 cook, 1 waiter, 1 barman occasionally interchangeable with the waiter dependant on the size of the mess. Also 1 garden "boy" to keep the surrounding area tidy, often a son of one of the other servants so paid very little.
Each mess had its own elected mess president who had to organise the staff & food plus the sourcing of the drinks for the mess, which were sold at a very small profit to help defray the staff costs, other overheads such as water, electricity & fittings were paid for by the govt., unless, as happened occasionally in particularly wild parties, they were burnt/smashed, when we or a particular guilty member had to stump up as I explained in one of my reminisces.

That was Hendon training centre in the 80's
Mid eighties, a group of what appeared to be off duty police cadets were sitting near me in a Hendon pub, not all that far from the training centre. One of them, obviously under the influence, very suddenly became very aggressive and was obviously dying for a fight. His mates made desperate efforts to calm him down and keep it from becoming a spectacle and were more or less successful.

arcticfox042

War Hero
Mid eighties, a group of what appeared to be off duty police cadets were sitting near me in a Hendon pub, not all that far from the training centre. One of them, obviously under the influence, very suddenly became very aggressive and was obviously dying for a fight. His mates made desperate efforts to calm him down and keep it from becoming a spectacle and were more or less successful.
and....?

Thanks very much, I appreciate that, you have perfectly illustrated my point.

The standards are so low, because there is no fitness culture, no fitness facilities, no cadre of PTIs, no adventure training, no work time to train and when you combine that with shift work and lack of canteens to healthy eat, you have the consequent problem....

...These are everyday things that cops do, mostly quite well, with no investment from the government.
Money rules and no one wants to pay up. However they want to carp on about it.
You get what you pay for. If you are happy with the status quo then fine.
A quick point. Why not pursue a fitness regime in your own time? Quite a few people frequent gyms or run the streets with no investment from their employers.

EG. In my last job, staff who wanted to maintain a standard of fitness used the prisoners' gym facilities during their breaks or after work. The fact there is no investment is not a reason, it's an excuse.

Dr Death

Old-Salt
Pre Commissioner Days
1586950895956.png

Now the Boss of MPS & Highest Ranking LGBT Officer
1586950947840.png

Anyone?

Cheers dits. "Man doesn't have a fight shocker"

Have you contacted the papers?

needlewaver

War Hero
A quick point. Why not pursue a fitness regime in your own time? Quite a few people frequent gyms or run the streets with no investment from their employers.

EG. In my last job, staff who wanted to maintain a standard of fitness used the prisoners' gym facilities during their breaks or after work. The fact there is no investment is not a reason, it's an excuse.
How many employers demand a given standard of fitness for their employees? Outside of the Armed Forces, the Police and Fire Service, I’m not sure there’s many more.

Genuine question, were you Prison Service? And if so, genuine question is there a fitness test for Officers? Is there a sanction for failure?

The Police stipulate a given standard of fitness, yet nationally invests little on assisting its employees. Yes there should be a level of self discipline, and in my lot, action plans and UPPs are being bandied around for failures; there is little to no rehab/training network as with the forces, it is very much sink or swim on your own.

It’s been said before, tweak shifts so that the first thirty minutes of a shift is used for low level phys. Blow the cobwebs out and will act as a warm up for the fighting and rolling around later. Make it like the Army, unless you’ve got a recorded medical reason, or a note from Matron, get physing. Shift patterns have been messed with for less justification.

An organisation which insists on a level of fitness, to the ultimate point of sacking if necessary yet offers no assistance other than ‘well go for a jog after your ten hour late shift” could do better.

interesting they preferred The Greyhound despite having a "cheap bar" on site
You needed to get the smell of blue serge out of your nostrils.

The only thing that would possibly keep people in to use the Peel Bar was the rather attractive barmaid - I seem to remember that she was a Guyanian lady. (Nobody got to shag her as far as I know).
But generally it was up the hill to the Greyhound or else further afield to Hampstead, where there was no shortage of decent boozers. I remember that there was an awful lot of homework in the evenings and regular exams, so constantly pissing it up was not really an option.

This is the sad truth, I think it can be agreed by many that post here, that too much of the nations establishment has become top heavy with a combination of 'greasy pole climbers' and 'promote and post'.
IE The Peter Principle, which states that a person who is competent at their job will earn promotion to a more senior position which requires different skills. If the promoted person lacks the skills required for their new role, then they will be incompetent at their new level, and so they will not be promoted again. But if they are competent at their new role, then they will be promoted again, and they will continue to be promoted until they eventually reach a level at which they are incompetent.

Being incompetent, they do not qualify to be promoted again, and so remain stuck at that final level for the rest of their career This outcome being inevitable, given enough time and assuming that there are enough positions in the hierarchy to which competent employees may be promoted...This then leading to Peter's Corollary "In time, every post tends to be occupied by an employee who is incompetent to carry out its duties.”including that of top dog.

Latest Threads