Cressida Dick looks Stuffed

jmb3296

Old-Salt
Given that treatment, why would he ever put himself in that position again?
A question he expressed quite voluably on several occasions.
He was never operational again and came back to office jobs which he stayed with till retirement. A total waste of a brilliant operational cop.

BUT he had experienced an awful treatment. The threat to his job and liberty, his mortgage and pension and his wife’s health.
He couldn’t come to my wedding because by that time his wife didn’t want to be around the police at all. She avoided them (us) as an organisation if she could.

Unfortunately I don’t think it is any better for cops at the wrong side of a significant incident now.

I am incredibly proud of the officers who still go out and risk it all day in and day out for a fickle public who will as soon damn them as praise them and where they have little organisational or institutional support.

Last edited:
A question he expressed quite voluably on several occasions.
He was never operational again and came back to office jobs which he stayed with till retirement. A total waste of a brilliant operational cop.

BUT he had experienced an awful treatment. The threat to his job and liberty, his mortgage and pension and his wife’s health.
He couldn’t come to my wedding because by that time his wife didn’t want to be around the police at all. She avoided them (us) as an organisation if she could.

Unfortunately I don’t think it is any better for cops at the wrong side of a significant incident now.

I am incredibly proud of the officers who still go out and risk it all day in and day out for a fickle public who will as soon damn them as praise them and where they have little organastional or institutional support.
Absolutely, spot on.

The only time I have seen senior management support the troops was during the Wapping / News International investigation. The dispute finished and the Commissioner in a display of genarosity decided to drop all the prosecutors against the rioters. Unfortunately he had failed to account for the sheer vindictiveness. and malicie of the BBC led by Kate Adie . Investigation by Northamptonshire ensued. The detective superintendent running the investigation marched into Area Commander Ops office, an officer two ranks senior to him and told the Commander how the investigation was to be run. Memo come out from Area HQ suspended officers were to be fully supported, included in all social and sporting activities etc. The Commissioner even came out and personally apologised to us for his error in judgement. Totally unique in my experience

The only time I have seen senior management support the troops was during the Wapping / News International investigation. The dispute finished and the Commissioner in a display of genarosity decided to drop all the prosecutors against the rioters. Unfortunately he had failed to account for the sheer vindictiveness. and malicie of the BBC led by Kate Adie . Investigation by Northamptonshire ensued. The detective superintendent running the investigation marched into Area Commander Ops office, an officer two ranks senior to him and told the Commander how the investigation was to be run. Memo come out from Area HQ suspended officers were to be fully supported, included in all social and sporting activities etc. The Commissioner even came out and personally apologised to us for his error in judgement. Totally unique in my experience

Hmm.. we are talking nearly 35 years ago, from what I see, read & hear the pc rot is infinitely worse today.
As "jmb3296" said, I still have great respect for most of the bill on the front line but with the increasing number of pc box tickers rising up through the ranks it seems that we more & more have an "Orwellian" type force sorry service, supposedly enforcing ever more ridiculous "hate/thought" crimes .. Man complains of 'Orwellian police' snip "A man has described police as using George Orwell's novel 1984 as an "operating manual" after he was investigated over alleged transphobic comments posted on social media. Mr Miller said he was "utterly shocked" to be questioned by a police constable.
"He said even though I had committed no crime he needed to check my thinking," said Mr Miller.
"We are heading absolutely towards some Orwellian state and the police are using 1984 as an operating manual and this frightens the life out of me."

Watching some of the "reality" police programmes on TV and seeing the way they have to endure the vile attitudes/actions of certain elements of society makes me so glad I never tried to join the Police here after my return from Africa, mainly on the advice from my Step Father who was a retired D/Sgt S. Wales Police & later my Father in Law, retired C/Insp W. Yorkshire police. Who hearing my tales of often largely unsupervised work in much of my time in the NRP, dealing with very large geographical areas with all incidents from poaching/theft etc to Riots/Murder etc. Told me I would find it extremely difficult to cope with the constraints/limitations of British policing starting as a probationer Constable working shifts under senior ranks who would mainly have far less experience than me.
But unless our political establishment grow a set and start changing much of our criminal legislation & passing sensible laws that are enforced irrespective of race, colour or creed and we have courts who do the same and not give pathetic slaps on the wrists for persistent offenders or those who attack the police/public services and excuse those "who don't understand our ways", the public will be tempted more & more into protecting themselves as happened in the "Duggan riots" where certain areas/ethnicities formed vigilante groups to defend their properties!!

As far as numbers go, both Italy and France have comparable population give or take 5 million either way, both of them have police numbers close to 200 k. Arguably, we have always been short of numbers.

One of the biggest failings in the police, is lack of leadership training. A soldier wanting to be a Cpl in the infantry, gets 12 weeks of high quality residential training that tests and evaluates them. Very expensive with an abstraction from frontline duties. This continues throughout their career at great financial and time expense. Staff Officer courses educate and select the most capable.

The same with fitness, the police don’t invest in that high quality training, due to the expense and the toll it would take on frontline availability on a daily basis.

I doubt the government would be willing to stump up the cash needed to enable that level of training for cops to get the resultant increase in quality.

Which is a shame. I guess you get what you pay for.
Build accomodation blocks , canteen , gym, bar on Police property for any Police that want to avail themselves of it.
Cheap accomodation, cheap food, cheap gym and a cheap bar.
It would make their wage packet go much further, make their bodies fitter and make morale and esprit de corps higher.

Win, win, win.

Build accomodation blocks , canteen , gym, bar on Police property for any Police that want to avail themselves of it.
It would make their wage packet go much further, make their bodies fitter and make morale and esprit de corps higher.

Win, win, win.
Er, we did until quite recently, except for the bars. They were called section houses in the Met. But along with a lot of the police stations they have all been flogged off in the name of Osbornes austerity.

I wonder if it is going to cost more in the long run to fix the damage caused by Osbornes cuts, than was saved in the first place.

One of the principal jobs of a government is 'Defence of the realm' and 'Law and Order', not flogging everything off to enrich your Tory mates and donaters.

anglo

LE
Er, we did until quite recently, except for the bars. They were called section houses in the Met. But along with a lot of the police stations they have all been flogged off in the name of Osbornes austerity.

I wonder if it is going to cost more in the long run to fix the damage caused by Osbornes cuts, than was saved in the first place.

One of the principal jobs of a government is 'Defence of the realm' and 'Law and Order', not flogging everything off to enrich your Tory mates and donaters.
"I wonder if it is going to cost more in the long run to fix the damage caused by Osbornes cuts, than was saved in the first place. "
That is always the case in every money saving scheme any government has,

Precisely my point, I remember the Section Houses, though never went in one.

I also remember in Hammersmith Hospital grounds, a tower block which was Student Nurse accomodation ( I was in there every weekend late 80's ) giving the girls cheap accomodation in London.
That needs to be made available again in the Brave New World after the virus.

I also remember in Hammersmith Hospital grounds, a tower block which was Student Nurse accomodation ( I was in there every weekend late 80's ) giving the girls cheap accomodation in London.
I know that the nurses block in Hillingdon Hospital was sold off to convert into luxury flats many yours ago in King Tony's reign.

That block still is there.

An en-suite room for a key worker in a block in the local hospital site, is now over £500 per month, plus £20 per month for parking.

Just checked. £548 per month.

Section house used to be a pound a month, that was for newspapers because free accomodation was a condition of service, something else the federation managed to bargain away for f.a.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer

Indeed, the old section house in Greenwich Maurice Drummond is now a swanky hotel.

I've briefly met at a tory function Miss Rudd and she scrubs up really nice, I was quiet smitten.

A year later I met Liz Truss at another function, I made the mistake of not staring at her ample breatie dumplings :)and therefore saw her facial hair! :(
I’ve always had a thing for Amber Rudd and I don’t know why

Mufulira

Old-Salt

Win, win, win.
As ex-colonial will attest Colonial Police generally had their own cantonment for all ranks -- this way, lowly front line constables and their families were in protected zone away from riff-raff who might seek revenge or other retribution. Illustrious chaps like ex-colonial were housed as well and has their own pub which had excellent prices to match the Army messes. The primo Mess was the Mobile Unit which for all practical purposes was an infantry unit designed to deal with 'riotous acts by enemies of the Queen' and any other local villains who fancied a crack at members of the NRP. On one particular occasion the platoon leader, "Captain Mobbs", rounded up a raft of empty 45 gallon drums and stuffed 4 or more rioters into each drum -- the inhabitants then had to clutch on each other to prevent spilling over and hurting each other in a fall. Surprisingly no medal or commendations fro dealing so swiftly and so lacking in fatalities or "Heroes of the Revolution"

Let’s hope The Notting Hill Carnival is cancelled. A much needed break from that hell hole for the folks in The Met.

Equally, there will be no lockdown or curfew in the coming days, because there isn’t enough cops to enforce it. Even with the military mobilised I don’t think it could be effectively policed.

Latest Threads