Creeping Excellence..

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by Bravo_Bravo, Mar 6, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This used to happen quite a bit, from what I saw.

My view is, in a training environment, that the standards are stated and if the CFT is 25kg in 1.55 - 2 hours, then you don't go for 1.45.

If in Bn you do 8 miles in 1 hour 25, then its not actually a CFT but a loaded carry that happens to have been eight miles long.

Whats the view here?

2. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

This is easy to resolve. If you are conducting it as a test then it is a CFT. By test, I mean that the soldier must pass it in order to pass a stated training objective at an RTC, RTMC or for bounty purposes. It should be conducted in accordance with the required standards.

We should then accept that the CFT is the minimum standard that must be achieved, and should not be beyond the capability of any soldier when run properly - ie, correct weight, sensible route selection and good pace setting by the PTI.

Once this base standard has been set you can then push on to the levels required of your particular arm or service. For an army secretary - ie AGC (SPS) - them the CFT is probably a reasonable expectation. For combat/combat support arms then a higher standard should be expected and trained for. Failure to pass a more demanding TAB however cannot constitute a CFT fail for bounty purposes but can serve as an indicator of a fitness level below that expected in a particular unit or role and remedial fitness training may be instigated.
  3. Which is great until there is no training, just a random expectation that you meet the higher standard. It's not just in fitness based assessments that I've seen this - typically most training environments have this to some extent.