Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by JONCAL, Mar 5, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is there a way you can get credit blocked for another person ,so they cant even get a credit card or have a finance what so ever, purely on a voluntary agreement .
  2. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

As far as I know, the only way to do this is through a Power of Attorney. Even this wouldn't stop the individual applying for, and getting, credit (unless their credit reference agency file is fecked); the PoA holder would have to cancel any agreement with the creditor.
  3. I don't understand your question. You cannot affect someone else's credit rating unless you do so fraudulently or by association - perhaps by living in the same house.

4. Forget my ramblings... what VB wrote is good.

5. Its a friend of mine whose wife has had over the years had loans out in his name ,not told him ,and now its all come to light ,(and its a lot) so they have sorted it out between them , but he doesnt trust her anymore ,and wants to know can he block any credit or loan applications ,.I told him im sure there is a system in place that would alllow you to do that on a voluntary bases. I also told him citizens advice might know .
    Any one shed any light on the matter
  6. Think your friend may be on a loser here. Although married, each partner has the capacity to enter into a contract as an individual, be that for a mobile phone, car loan or credit card. Some credit card companies will authorise the issue of a second card to a spouse, but the liability of the debt remains with the person who signed the credit agreement.

It might be an idea for him to rearrange their finances in his favour to restrict her access to joint funds, indeed if it's as serious as it seems it would be an option to have all accounts in his name only, and restrict her access to funds to money he gives her in cash, like an allowance. If she has no bank account operating that would go some way to limiting any future credit applications as they would generally always want to person to have a bank account.