Credit Score Reduced.

Can any of the finance gurus shed any light on the following.
I recently switched ISP from Sky which included a charge for line rental to Vodafone broadband which has no charge for line rental.
Today I checked my score at ClearScore which I do occasionally and to my surprise it had nose dived by over 30 points. I eventually discovered that it was because I'm no longer paying line rental for a landline. Any ideas as to why?

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I haven’t a scooby but would like to know what difference it makes?

I’m in my 60’s, have never checked my credit score and nothing as yet has bothered me. Is it important to do this? I nearly checked it a few years ago but was put off by having to input so many of my details, I thought no wonder fraud is on the up so haven’t bothered.

dontenn

War Hero
I have never checked mine also, you never had to.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I recently switched ISP from Sky which included a charge for line rental to Vodafone broadband which has no charge for line rental.
Today I checked my score at ClearScore which I do occasionally and to my surprise it had nose dived by over 30 points. I eventually discovered that it was because I'm no longer paying line rental for a landline. Any ideas as to why?
Sky stopped charging for landine some months ago.

I see what you mean but we do have a landline. We simply don't pay line rental. Perhaps it doesn't show up because there's no charge. Shrug.
It’s just an artifact of the scoring mix that was set decades ago. As @Egg on Leggs says, it confirms your address and ties you to it.

It’s a fcuking joke though. I can’t have a landline. Not that I want one, but why the fvck should I be penalized because AT and fvcking T won‘t invest in their infrastructure to give me service FROM THE FCUKING LINE THAT CROSSES MY PROPERTY. Cvnts.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
Find out who did your credit report graydons, experian etc etc. send then a few quid, it was £2 in my day and you can get the full sp on your credit review.
I used to be in this game years ago checking business credit lines etc but it was also handy for tracing my two kids from a very messy divorce.

sallyanne09

War Hero
Just as a heads up..

Old advice from Martin Lewis (Money chap from the tellybox) don't check your credit score too often.

EDIT -

Just checked his website out and this advice seems to have now changed

Last edited:
Dont worry about your credit score is a made up number seen by you only head over to moneysavingexpert its all explained there..

Euclid

War Hero
It’s a pointless measure but for some reason some people think a high score is a badge of honour. It isn’t as it doesn't take account of income.

Reputable lending organisations are not particularly interested in the score, but will use other data from credit reference agencies.