• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Credit Rating, to let property

Has anybody heard of estate agents charging £200 - £300 to check your credit rating, before they'll let you rent one of their properties? Is this just a London thing?

I've rented my current flat for years, but now need to move. I can supply a good reference from my current landlord, show employer's references and bank statements, but for some properties I was interested in, I was told I'd have to pay the above amount for a check, which I've heard should cost about £10 anyway. ( I offered to pay for one myself, but the estate agents didn't want to know - had to be their credit rating agency, at their fee.)

I appreciate that I can always refuse to deal with estate agents asking for this, although if time's not on your side and you find something good you are over a bit stuck. I was just curious whether this was common, and what the excuse was - something their insurers demand, or just an means to charge more money?

Its common place, I won't let any tennant in any of my properties without a relatively clean credit rating.

I only make an exeption if they are paying at least 6 months in advance

Thanks for the quick reply.

I appreciate you don't want just anybody moving in to one of your properties, but £300 odd seems a little steep. Must be cheaper ways to check a person, if that's the sole objective.

A credit check can cost as little as £2.00 if they are charging £300 they are having your pants down.

If they are perforimg a credit check youa re entitled to see it as it leaves a scar on your credit file and will log a search against it.

Most use equifax or more commonly Experian.

Latest Threads