Creating new Categories

Discussion in 'ARRSEpedia' started by Rowums, Feb 7, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Whilst trying to be helpful and do my bit for Arrsepedia, I've noted that there are several uncategorised pages that have no real category to be placed in. The most notable of these 'missing categories' is People. There is nowhere to place individuals or groups of peoples.
    Can I suggest making a category of 'People & Peoples' to the Mods please?
    If I'm being a pleb, and it is possible for me to make the category myself then could some helpful person please direct in how to do so.

2. I think you can just make a new category up by placing the desired category at the top of a normal page. For example, on the StabTiffy2B page you could add:

[[category: Best Looking Arrsers]]

Don't quote me on it though :?

Also not sure if this is a good idea. I doubt that we'd want too many similiar categories, as it would make looking for anything a b1tch.
  3. Well I was only intending the one new category, everything else can normally find a home somewhere.
  4. Anyway, forget what I asked. Digging a little deeper into Arrsepedia I found exactly what I was looking for in the Help. I have now added 'People & Peoples' as a category. Mods if you find it to be useless, then by all means dispose of it.
  5. To fill in the missing blanks in the above:

1. It is correct that adding the text [[Category:whatever]] somewhere on a page will automatically add that article to the category. If the category does not exist, it will be created.

2. A page can, in fact, have multiple categories. For example, an article on Cheese Possessed could belong to both the 'Rations' category and the 'Dictionary' category. I suppose it could also be counted (just) as belonging to the 'Food' category.

To that end, if it is available under ALL relevant categories, it should be easier to find, not more difficult. Anyone interested in Food would find the Cheese Possessed article. Anyone searching through the Rations category would also see it - the article is then found more easily....