Creating an entry from scratch - how do we?

Discussion in 'ARRSEpedia' started by abacus, Jun 2, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Trying to add a page to the dictionary and getting nowhere. Any chance of a step by step idiot's guide? (For dictionary and any other categories please.)

Cheers.

2. If your trying to add a page to the dictionary, simply create a link to a new page.

That is achieved by putting your new page name in double square brackets, [[page name]] like so. Once you save the page, your new page name will appear as a link, then simply click on it and start editing.

There are some rules regarding categories, and laying pages out, please look at Ghots_Riders and Bad CO's posts on the subject in this forum.

Boney

3. Thanks Boney,

but where do you go to find the original blank page to put the double square brackets on?

And pardon me all if I'm being thick but just because you think I am doesn't mean I'm not. I think.

4. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

The first thing you do is create a link to the new page on the dictionary . You do this by clicking the edit button and then putting in the page title surrounded by [[ &]]. Thus
    Code:
     [[New Page Name]]
    When you've saved the dictionary page you will see that the link you've created is red which means that there isn't a page of that name in existence. Click on it and you'll open it up ready for content to be added! When you are done remember to save it.

When you create a new page, try and put it in an appropriate category.
    This is done by putting the following at the top of your new page:

Code:
    [[Category:Category Name]]
    Enjoy.... but be aware that once you get started it is very addictive!

5. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

You can put it on any page that is appropriate, you do not need to have an original blank page. Hope this helps

6. Many thanks all. Just noticed how quiet the building is. Everyone'e scarpered for lunch while I've been mucking around on arrse. :grin:

7. While you create new pages if you want to apply a bit of fore thought look at this page for the list of Categories there are.

http://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Special:Categories

If you believe any apply (doesnt have to be just one) then add by adding the following to your work,
    [[Category:Dictionary]]
    [[Category:UK Military]]

Note that the spelling and capitals (where appropriate) need to match. By doing this your page will automatically appear in that categoryand in alphabetical order.

Dont worry if your not sure just add as you see fit and one of the Sysops will amend if needed.

Have fun!

8. Ok. I feel really thick now.

I tried to follow the instructions as given in the forum, but I still can't for the life of me figure this thing out.

All I want to do is add to the Army slang page!! I'm sure if I get that bit figured out, I'll be adding a couple more too!

PLease Help!!

9. Ok. Now I'm in REAL trouble.

You may now notice a section in the Army Slang Category entitled User talk richylancer. I REALLY didn't want that to be there!

first: Can someone please delete my silly mistake before my mates see it and I get a crate for being thick.

Secon: Can someone please tell me where the hell I went wrong?

10. Done. - But, you've just admitted the mistake here, so what makes you think you'll get away with it :lol:

You needed to create a new page entirely before you start editing/adding to a category.

Try this:

1. Open the main wiki page. (http://www.arrse.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Main_Page)

2. click in the address bar, and replace the words Main_Page with the new page name you want.

3. You will be taken to the "Edit" page of your new page as soon as you press "Enter"

4. Fill in the blanks, not forgetting to add [[Category:Army Slang]] in the page somewhere

Ghost

11. No you won't - you'll need to click on the 'Edit this page' link !!!

TTFN

BFG

12. D'OH!

BFG is correct - my fault (his mistake :wink:) I shall take myself out the fire exit of the Wiki and have several strong words :roll:

Ghost