Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by b_ollo_cks, Sep 19, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm training to kick butt at the RSC, as I've always been the loser in fitness at school and so on. I'm very much more fit now, but I keep getting muscle strains and soreness even with a proper warm up and cool down. The PTI at my local gym recommends I take a small amount of creatine. I've been reading about this and various sources say it turns you into a brick shit house, which I don't want (i'd have to buy new clothes) so does anyone know if this is supplement is ok to take considering I need to have good cardio fitness, which will be harder if I carry more weight... I'm reall confused!
  2. of the problems for "those athletes who believe in better performance through chemicals" is apparently a lot of soft-tissue injuries. Basically, your muscles get stronger faster than the ligaments they're attached to; bit like putting a F1 engine onto a Mini transmission, something's likely to break once you put your foot down.

Creatine is all very well (I've heard that one South African fullback is a walking advert for the stuff) but the well-respected sports scientist that I talked to - a medical adviser to FIFA, no less - was advising in 1997 to stay the hell away if you could. Basically, they weren't sure what it did to your kidneys over the long haul. I wouldn't touch it with yours, basically. Add to that the fact that you can't trust most of the supplements to only have what's on the ingredients (pills made up in lowest-bid E. European pharmaceutical factories) and it just ain't worth it.

Take your time, do it right. Lots of flexibility and core stability work will help you over the long haul. You don't need to be a physical monster to do infantry stuff, but you do need to keep going and stay uninjured.

Sorry, but there's no "instant fitness" like there's instant coffee. It takes time and effort, and any iffy-looking short cut has real risk attached.
  3. I have to admit that I'm a creatine user, it's quite expensive stuff, not the cheap sort! Geenrally, I've noticed that I LOOK good quicker, but I haven't noticed any kind of benefit in terms of strength or resistance at all.

I think the old adage of everything worth having is hard work comes in. I don't think there is any so-called 'natural' short cut to physical strength. It hasn't added any bulk to me, one of the reasons i went on it was to try and gain some weight! But after five weeks, I haven't gained a single pound, so you shouldn't worry about getting bulked on it. I spent a lot of time at the gym before trying it, and noticed I improved just as quickly then as I do now, just I look better after!

Hope this helps
  4. I've used Creatine and won't touch it again. However it works; ( is it a hormone or a steroid?) the effect when it gets going after the loading phase is that you will start a normal workout and find you just keep going! I was so startled at the number of reps I was banging out I 'phoned a mate, who is a weight lifting instructor, mid-session to ask if it was normal. Down sides; be prepared to visit the toilet MANY times per day. No matter how much water you drink you will wake with agonising pain in the kidneys. Lying in bed at night you feel like there is an alien wandering about in your abdominal cavity.
    God knows what the long term effects are.
  5. Thanks for the advice people, I might give it ago for a few weeks; if its shite i'll drop it like a load and carry on with good old hard work...
  6. Creatine has no scientific back up to say that it increases strength or endurance. It just gives you constipation & water retention. I wouldnt waste your money.
  7. A good friend of mine took creatine for a prolonged period while training for a career in rugby. The fluid retention problems that the creatine induced led him to have kidney failure. Whilst he looked fit, as was undoubtedly a superb athlete while taking the stuff, he sustained lasting damage.
  8. The body already has creatine stores within the muscle fibres them selves... & i believe it is a protein ( i cant be sure though) its def not a steroid or a hormone; If this was so it would be a banned substance, which it isnt.
  9. Just be careful with this stuff, I’ve taken it without any side affects (so far) but another friend of mine had liver problems and the doctor blamed the creatine. I’ve since quit using it. Better to go natural with some vitamin supplements.

10. Its a protein!

Nutritional Supplements

Have a read, at least you can then form an opinion reading what others have said about it and other supplements.
  11. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

If you were an international level athlete then it might be worth trying but for RSC? Not worth the risk in my view. The benefits of hard work plus creatine are likely to show only a marginal improvement over hard work on its own, and even that is doubtful. If the muscle soreness contniues you should consider upping your protein intake, but otherwise try more warming up and down.
  12. If you take Creatin before training and protein after you will make big increases fast give it a try and if it does not work for you dont try it again!

Oh a quick tip you will see the best results fastest if you work in the 6-8 rep range reping to failure on the last rep.

good luck

13. Thanks for clearing that up! been a while since ive been reading up on this stuff!
  14. If you're training to be an infantry soldier, you don't need to be huge. In fact, large muscles can be a drawback, as they require more oxygen to keep working.
    I'm naturally big and found it to be no particular advantage. It made the endurance stuff harder and I always got stuck with either the GPMG or the Carl-Gustaf on exercise. When one is 6'3" and about 90 kilos, CFT's etc are no fun at all.
    I've met a few SF soldiers and the biggest was at least two stone lighter than me. Most were skinny little runts, but with incredible CV fitness.
    So don't waste your time and money with Creatine. Concentrate on good, regular gym sessions. Free weights instead of machines and lots of push-ups, dips, pull-ups etc. And if you have to chose between a gym session or a run - go a run. Cardio-vascular fitness is more valuable for a soldier than brute strength.