CRB / DBS certificate required to visit childminder premises?

I'm told by a mate that, as his wife runs a childminding service with various brats being looked after during the day, nobody can visit unless they have a CRB / DBS check.

Is this true?

The bloke does come out with some utter bullpooh on occasions...

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
utter crap

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
Students on work placements, volunteers and
occasional visitors

As set out above, Ofsted takes responsibility for undertaking DBS checks on those
who are living or working on domestic premises, including childminding and childcare
on domestic premises. Therefore, Ofsted will need to obtain an enhanced DBS check
on students or volunteers working with childminders and other childcare providers on
domestic premises who are to have regular, unsupervised contact with children.
There are no provisions in the relevant legislation which state that the legal
requirement only applies to placements of a certain length.

There is no definition of ‘regular contact’ in this legislation, so Ofsted will take a
common sense approach to deciding what is ‘regular’. For example, a student could
have regular contact with children during the course of a short placement. Where a
student on a work placement is likely to have regular contact with children, Ofsted
will undertake a DBS check on that student. Where a student does not have regular
contact with children (for example if they are only attending the placement as a
‘one-off’ arrangement) Ofsted will not require a DBS check. In such cases, the
childminder or childcare provider must ensure that the student or volunteer is never
left in unsupervised contact with children.

We apply the same principles in deciding whether or not a person is a regular visitor
to the household. For example, when deciding whether Ofsted requires a DBS check
on a regular visitor, there is a difference between a friend of a childminder’s son who
occasionally sleeps over, and an overseas student who is living in the house for
several months. We will decide whether a DBS check is required on a regular visitor,
taking account of how frequently, and for how long, the person is visiting the house.

I did think this might be the case. The bloke is a worse fantasist than I am.

Annoyingly for him, part of my TA/AR job required be to get a CRB check...

The important word in this is 'unsupervised'. If you are supervised (by someone with the required Quals/checks) when you interact with kids, then there is no need for you to have CRB.

Even better - thank you.

The bloke is habitually secretive / a liar - for a year he swore he had no bank account, despite being aged over 50 and having been a salaried employee for more than 30 years.

I'm pretty sure he takes this line to avoid people turning up at his house. This info will really annoy him, as will the fact that our AO has just confirmed my CRB check is still in date.

Oh, what tangled webs we weave...

Why do you want to visit his house?

Surely the guy had a right to privacy? Unless he's pulling a sickie flanker, then help yourself and get him sacked

I'm told by a mate that, as his wife runs a childminding service with various brats being looked after during the day, nobody can visit unless they have a CRB / DBS check.

Is this true?

The bloke does come out with some utter bullpooh on occasions...
Your 'mate' clearly doesn't like you.

^ the relationship is strained at the mo, to say the least...

Latest Threads