CRB Checks

Im in line for a job with a government department as a contractor. Since the role involved information about child pervs, kiddies etc I need to have A CRB check. Now, way way back in the early 90's I did have a run in with Mr Plod, nothing to do with kiddies or s*x offences mind you, more along the lines of a little scrapping which ended up with me getting a 6 month suspended. Anyone know if this this shows on a CRB even though the offence is "spent"? the manager seemed to think they are more keen to see if Ive been a kiddie fiddler.

Anyone know the score?

First of all, why is this in the NAAFI?

Secondly, tell them you got done for kicking shit out of a paedo. That'll probably get you extra credit.

CRB check only shows up if you it is on your criminal record. Being suspended for 6 months wont count towards that unless it went through actual courts etc.

Tartan_Terrier said:
First of all, why is this in the NAAFI?

Secondly, tell them you got done for kicking s*** out of a paedo. That'll probably get you extra credit.
Its in the NAAFI because there wasnt a "CRB Check" Forum :)

hammy123 said:
Group_Captain_Mandrake said:
Went to magistrates court and was given 6 months suspended sent for assault.

According to the linky, it is classed as "spent". So, not sure if it will show up on a standard CRB.
all offences will end up showing up on an enhanced check
but on a standard, spent is as spent does

however check with your local plod for their waiting times for completion of the crb check
some take 6months plus because the staff are lazy fat twats

Correct. It will show up, so make sure you declare it.

By the way, 6 months suspended for "a bit of scrapping"? I don't think so. "Scrapping" gets a caution.

Did the lad ever recover from the glass in the face? :wink:

It was scrapping with one or two assorted implements which you find lying around a pub, then with the police, then with the custody sergeant :)

Thanks for the responses, it appears that there is a basic, standard and enhanced check. Basic and standard shouldnt show it up, unless I go for a job as a solicitor, accountant, barrister, directly involved with kids or old people where I have to declare spent convictions.

hammy123 said:
It was scrapping with one or two assorted implements which you find lying around a pub, then with the police, then with the custody sergeant :)

Thanks for the responses, it appears that there is a basic, standard and enhanced check. Basic and standard shouldnt show it up, unless I go for a job as a solicitor, accountant, barrister, directly involved with kids or old people where I have to declare spent convictions.
So you're a criminal then? perhaps this is what they are trying to discover?

Long time ago - oh I forget, we are all angels arent we. None of us has ever been in a scrap in a bar when on the lash after a tour have we?

Or are they trying to discover that scrapping in a bar many years ago will impede my ability to manage a project, the two issues are of course linked.

hammy123 said:
Long time ago - oh I forget, we are all angels arent we. None of us has ever been in a scrap in a bar when on the lash after a tour have we?

Or are they trying to discover that scrapping in a bar many years ago will impede my ability to manage a project, the two issues are of course linked.
I wish you all the luck in the world mate.

Given what you have told us here you were involved in a fight in a pub, you armed yourself with offensive weapons, which I presumed you used and in the course of it probably committed a public order offence or two and a bit of criminal damage. Once the Police arrived, instead of screwing the nut decided to Residst Arrest and in all probability assaulted the police officers as well. Brain cells still do not register on arrival at the Police Station and you attack the Custody Sergeant.

A little misunderstanding with a mate? I think not mate.

western said:
hammy123 said:

I wish you all the luck in the world mate.

Given what you have told us here you were involved in a fight in a pub, you armed yourself with offensive weapons, which I presumed you used and in the course of it probably committed a public order offence or two and a bit of criminal damage. Once the Police arrived, instead of screwing the nut decided to Residst Arrest and in all probability assaulted the police officers as well. Brain cells still do not register on arrival at the Police Station and you attack the Custody Sergeant.

A little misunderstanding with a mate? I think not mate.
Kin ell, were you there as well? my only defence was that I was young and full of pish and wind. I didnt assault the police and I didnt assult the custody sergeant so its a little uncalled for to make that assumption. Surely most of you have been there, heat of the moment when plod and the monkeys turn up, still scrapping with your oppos against whatever group have wound you up, its easy to keep going when someone is using you as a punch bag. Putting us all (squaddies and locals) in the custody room at the same time was a little silly as well in my opinion.

I think the point I am trying to make is that it was a long time ago, young and bullet proof, no offences since so under the rehabillitation of offenders act, the crime and punishment are "spent" and therefore need not be disclosed on an application form.

All I wanted was some advice, not a cross examination of the original crime, I knew I shouldnt have put it in the NAAFI :roll:

If you didn't assault the Police why did you say that you did? (PS pretty hard to resist arrest without committing an assault)

Anyway, as this job means that you will have access to children or vulnerable person(s) information they are likely to require an 'Enhanced Check' which will reveal spent convictions and other information the police may hold on you. Someone in HR will be tasked with following it up so rehearse a good account of the circumstances to play down the incident. Frankly, if you gave the account to me the way that you posted it on here I would have been unlikely to hire you as I would have drawn the conclusion that I posted on here..

Up here if you're gonna work with kids you automatically have to have an advanced disclosure done but usually they're only looking for stuff that may put the welfare or safety of the kids at risk (drug convictions etc) but if was so long ago and there's nothing dubious since i can't see it being a problem. But it will depend on your employer and what they consider to be unacceptable but if it's with the council you should be able to enquire about it anonymously beforehand.

Hammy, your fcucked for that job.

you will show up as a pisshead who loses it,

not a chance they will pass you to even look at anything to do with vulnerable people.

seen it all the time in my line of work