CRB Checks Are Incompatible With HRA

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Mr_Fingerz, Jan 25, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

2. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

good is all I can really say. they are a waste of time, money and mean approximately nothing.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. To my mind, the only reason that a CRB should disclose offences committed as a Minor is if those offences upon conviction and irrespective of sentence merited inclusion on and reporting in line with the ViSOR (Violent and Sexual Offenders Register) database. Otherwise, I cannot see the justification. CRBchecks compleltely invalidate the intent of the RoOA (Rehabilitation of Offenders Act). Of course, what the Goverenment will probably do is dramatically expand the range of occupations which require a CRB check. After Soham, there is an absolute reluctance in Government to rationalise and review law enforcement databases.
  4. TheresaMay

TheresaMay LE Moderator DirtyBAT

15 years ago when I was a full-screw scrote-bag, like many people I had little regard for the consequences of my actions. A family friend had gotten herself 'romantically' involved with a local villan and the milk had inevitably turned sour. Me and a mate were suitably largered at the time when bumped into her brother in Andover who went on to tell us how much she'd been suffering as a result of his worsening behaviour. But once it had emerged he'd been a little heavy-handed with her kids - that was enough for me and him to jump into a cab and go round his place to sort him out. Although he didn't press charges over any physical assault, he did want his front door paid for, which I'd damaged in the course of the action.

The resulting damage and police investigation led me to believe the best course of action was to be open and honest to the police about it all. Whilst they praised me in one breath for someone giving this local 'hard' man a taste of their own (he was universally hated by the local bobbies for obvious reasons) - the arrested me in another and I ended up with a 12 month conditional discharge over the whole thing.

As I approach the end of my service and begin to start looking around for onward employment, should I not be fortunate enough to end up working for myself - I cant help but wonder how many firms are going to turn me down over some drunken, albeit fairly honourable misdemeanour over a decade and a half ago?

A welcome change - and even more so were it to be introduced say, oooooh in the next couple of years?
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Ooh, as a sched. A contractor, I must have been run about 200 times in the last 10 years.... can I sue?
  6. Just get a job that doesn't require a CRB.

I thought that a CRB 'fail' doesn't neccesarily bar you from a job.

From the article. That's 130,000 people who tried to work with children or vulnerable folk despite being VERY naughty in the past.

You don't have to submit to a CRB check.
  7. Sex or violence stays on forever! You thug! Its possible DM to be out with your mates pissed up, stop for a lag, get picked up by a bobby who then gets you nicked andhey presto! you are on a sex offender list - Life over
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Easier said than done; sadly, increasing numbers of employers have been requesting CRB checks as a way of circumventing the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act. Of course, the Home Office is hardly going to discourage this because it (i) ties in with their universal criminal records database agenda and (ii) it is a nice little earner for the Department.
  9. Mav

Mav Old-Salt

I don't understand how they are a waste of money - are you saying certain organisations shouldn't check potential employees for a criminal history?
  10. Some years ago I administered CRB checks for a local authority and I found that the police could put information on the copy sent to the employers which was not on that sent to the subject. This was usually some form of local gossip - sorry, police intelligence - which the subject couldn't respond to because he didn't know about it. That cannot be right.
  11. Maybe that needs tightening up, but it would be interesting to see who are asking for CRBs. Where do you draw the line? People dealing with personal details (ie bank info) need to be trusted, for example, which means such a role requires CRB against fraud or similar dishonesty crimes... that has just brought a lot of jobs in to the CRB circle of trust.

That said, rapists and nonces should have their lives ruined until they take the inevitable step of killing themselves.

Maybe it will get about though, act like at cnut don't get a job. Could do wonders for our recidvism rates.

Once was a time when the community 'freed' the criminal of their bond, or forced them to become 'Outlaws' where they had no protection from law, and were hutned down like animals.
  12. Could anyone tell me how this actually impinges peoples privacy in comparison to any point in history to about 200 years ago?
  13. CRB checks are such a nonsense. I was cleared to work in prisons in November, left that job,signed on with an agency to work in old people's homes CRB required at £44 which I had to pay before starting. A policewoman came to talk to us during induction so I asked her about how long the clearance is valid for as for prisons it would be to 2017, she replied that it is only valid on the day it is done. Another agency also wants to do a CRB check as they have to do their own. There was supposed to be a central data base which would supply a pin number so that future employers could look at it, but it is too costly. The whole thing is a nonsense and expensive so if it is scraped it can only be a good thing as any misdemeanors at work should be covered by the reference and just because someone is cleared doesn't mean that they won't do something in the future.
  14. Yep

I'd love to see what my 'Other Information' box says these days.

I had a few minor convictions when I came out of the forces (never stole anything or hurt anyone, self destruct mode basically) and passed a CRB to work with kids no problem.

I have since been royally screwed over by plod due to ex's malicious allegations. My CRB will be****ed forever more due to that nice little clause they have in the checks.
  15. Whilst we wait for Tom Cruise to invent the Pre-Crime machine though, this is the best we can do.

Does it predict what may happen? No. But if someone has been caught hanging out of a child in the past, I going to hazard a guess you don't want them in a position where they could be alone with kids in teh future.

Yes, a CRB is only really valid on the day it is produced, but from that point on the employer would be in a better position to see any crimes commited.

If CRBs are so useless should we just let any tom, dick and harry access to your bank details, medical records, kids or to look after your grandparents?

Maybe we should skip the vetting system for the forces.
    • Like Like x 1