Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
My tyres just arrived.

Sweet.

F874286F-86A6-4968-ACAC-0127E7338BFD.jpeg
353B10D9-0E81-4233-A7A2-99249971148A.jpeg

@Ravers, you're an inspiration, old son! My old school/university steed (mid-80s 10-speed Peugeot) is propping up the fence at my Mum's house. I now know what I am doing on my post-tour leave (once I have had a bash at wife's to-do list, obvs). I should then be able to chuck in a few commutes on it as the trip is about 14 miles to the new job.

Slime

LE
Just to show just how ridiculously slow I can be at getting round to doing jobs, I at long last tried to straighten the pedal crank I mentioned in this thread.

I could take a lot of the bend out of it, but still couldn't get it back to how it should be so ordered a new crank from ebay.
It seems the 175mm size I needed is a lot less popular than the 170mm size.

If you heat the aluminium crank around the stuck pedal thread it will expand, break the bond and come out with a spanner.

Use aluminium thread anti seize paste to stop it corroding in the future.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Aged P hand built mine. I destroyed some cracking Frankenstein creations while growing up. The GF got a ton and a half for my ‘college bike’,
Girls step through frame, straight bars,, 3 gears, fat tyres. Brooks saddle, padded cover, “rear rack and an ex German army pannier for books.
Brush painted with Hammerite.

My old school/university steed (mid-80s 10-speed Peugeot) is propping up the fence at my Mum's house. I now know what I am doing on my post-tour leave (once I have had a bash at wife's to-do list, obvs).
First stage complete - I have bought a Brooks saddle and matching bar tape in Mandarin, which is about as close as the original orange as I could find. Got a good deal from bike-discount.de. I have decided to go back to the original pearlescent white for frame and forks. The saddle and bars were orange and both need replacing so I thought I would treat myself as most of the other components (bar the rubber bits) are good enough to soldier on. More in November when I get home and start the rebuild.
Bike started out looking a bit like this:

Attachments

clanky

Old-Salt
First stage complete - I have bought a Brooks saddle and matching bar tape in Mandarin, which is about as close as the original orange as I could find. Got a good deal from bike-discount.de. I have decided to go back to the original pearlescent white for frame and forks. The saddle and bars were orange and both need replacing so I thought I would treat myself as most of the other components (bar the rubber bits) are good enough to soldier on. More in November when I get home and start the rebuild.
Bike started out looking a bit like this:
cooler than a cool thing.

It’s amazing what people will chuck out. No one seems to know how to change an inner tube these days.

I’ve seen bikes ditched because the chain has come off.

There is (used to be?) a bloke at Camden market who had old dump bikes for sale that he’s done up.

He was asking stupid prices, 100 quid plus, but hipsters were buying them to look cool.
Scott hybrid bike with hyd brakes and decent conti tyres on it last week at the tip sfa up with it did think about throwing it in the back of the motor bike was almost brand new and didnt look like it had any abuse to it.

Tip for alloy bits pop one of these in an angle grinder. I've been using it restoring my Gilera Runner brought parts up with alloy corrsion and gunk like chromed parts takes a couple of mins as well

Wire Brush Set 50mm

Slime

LE
@Ravers

I saw this bike in my local Halfords recently.
The photos I took didn't come out with true colours due to flourescent lights in the store, but I thought this was pretty much the colour you were trying to find for your bike build.

If you fancy doing a bit more spraying you could get the paint colour code from the manufacturer.

EA76E730-D7A2-49A7-9A04-58EAFB470B21.jpeg

59025487-4F2B-4C70-A916-91812CB4D424.jpeg

Some more rebuild news: I have just discovered that the original Campagnolo aero water bottle that still sits on my old Pug's downtube is now worth more than the bike! Bloody hipsters, ruining the new-old spares market!

Halfrauds bins are a goldmine of cycle parts, tools, car stuff and all kinds of goodies, all the customer returns go straight in the skip, any bikes under about £200 that get returned or are faulty go in too, some of the ones I had out of there were just missing a pedal, or had a wheel that needed straightening. When they fit new car stereos the old ones go in the bin too. They once binned their entire stock of air and oil filters , no idea why ?

Longlenny

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Many years ago I was cutting off the gas for a bloke who had been stealing gas. He was threaders and being evicted the same day. In the cellar, partially buried in a pile of rubbish was an old bike. I flashed my torch over it the lugs on it were a work of art. I asked him what he wanted for it, a tenner changed hands and I took the bike away. It turned out to be a Hetchins Magnum Bonum, a hand built lightweight bike made in 1952. It has all the right bits on it and was rebuilt for a pittance. I occassionally ride it, people in the know are always trying to buy it, it's a fine thing.