Crappy old bike build.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Getting there.

Not gonna lie, my painting skills leave a lot to be desired. But it’ll do.

Colour scheme works.

79D0A8B8-C48B-4861-9D1F-76CDC4AB9E6E.jpeg

Very interesting thread, I haven`t messed around with any pushbikes since the 90s but it looks very therapeutic.
There is a project down this end of the country looking for volunteers to do this sort of thing, and help youngsters at the same time.
If anyone on here lives in West Cornwall and has a bit of spare time during the day it might suit you.... Life Recycle project

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Bottom bracket is back together and fully cleaned and packed with new grease. I’ll leave the cranks loose for now as I still need to get those ******* pedals off.

Forks and handlebars are all assembled. Again bearings all cleaned and new grease.

I’ve ordered some cream tyres which should set it off nicely.

If I can get cream brake cables I’ll slap some on, if not brown.

Just a few nuts and bolts to replace which are really shitty and rusted. The dremmel has been an absolute winner. I’ve managed to clean parts up in minutes that I though were fit for the bin.

8DE6E241-8D56-45A0-8F15-19032DED0D49.jpeg

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
That’s about an hour and half of slow work down.

Total Amazon spend so far:

Stainless nuts and bolts 12 quid.
Seat 10 quid.
Bar tape 9 quid.

21 quid.

Still to buy:

Chain.
Pedals.
Tyres.
Brake / gear cables.
New gear levers.
A new plastic disc that goes between the rear wheel and gear cogs.
As was pointed out by @Helm above, none of the 400pc assorted nuts and bolts I bought are the sizes I need, so they’ve gone back.

So take 12 quid off the total spend.

I’ve since bought the following:

2 tyres £21.
Brown insulating tape 70p
Grease £5
Crank puller £10 (will use again so not included in total bike spend)
Paint £25

Total spend £70.70

Still to buy:

Chain (gonna get a gold one)
Brake pads
Cables
Pedals
Gear levers
Inner tubes
One or two nuts and bolts

I think it’s fair to say I’ll end up over budget but not by too much.

^ Over budget but not by much, the lament of the bike restorer. If you can’t get the pedals off, budget for a new chain set and pedals. Won’t cost that much.
You might even get something nice and shiny to go with the poncey tan wall tires:p

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
^ Over budget but not by much, the lament of the bike restorer. If you can’t get the pedals off, budget for a new chain set and pedals. Won’t cost that much.
You might even get something nice and shiny to go with the poncey tan wall tires:p
They’re coming off even if I have to drill the cnuts out. I really like that crank set and I’ve spent ages cleaning it up!

Bottom bracket is back together and fully cleaned and packed with new grease. I’ll leave the cranks loose for now as I still need to get those ******* pedals off.

Forks and handlebars are all assembled. Again bearings all cleaned and new grease.

I’ve ordered some cream tyres which should set it off nicely.

If I can get cream brake cables I’ll slap some on, if not brown.

Just a few nuts and bolts to replace which are really shitty and rusted. The dremmel has been an absolute winner. I’ve managed to clean parts up in minutes that I though were fit for the bin.

View attachment 394966
Just a thought, sometimes certain parts have a left handed thread. Sometimes, but not always indicated by a random stamp on the part.
So instead of loosening you are actually tightening, I, and many others have been caught out by this in the past.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Just a thought, sometimes certain parts have a left handed thread. Sometimes, but not always indicated by a random stamp on the part.
So instead of loosening you are actually tightening, I, and many others have been caught out by this in the past.
Yeah one pedal is always a backwards thread.

These are just rusted on.

Still a few methods to try. Heat, vice with a scaffold bar and finally drill.

Edit: left, right. I knew what I meant.

8E187E73-D10F-4B67-847C-7AF21005C3EB.jpeg

Just drill them out, then. You will cause damage otherwise, and end up binning a chainset.

Ages ago you could get this stuff called "plus gas" or something.
It was like wd 40 on speed. I doubt you can get it now as it was lethal, but did the job.
You can still buy plusgas, and it’s still a load better than WD40.

Yeah one pedal is always a backwards thread.

These are just rusted on.

Still a few methods to try. Heat, vice with a scaffold bar and finally drill.

Edit: left, right. I knew what I meant.

View attachment 394974
If you have a car battery charger you could use electrolysis on them, it will get rid of every bit of rust.

Maybe, but its not the same as the stuff of old.
Even WD 40 had the more volatile compounds removed/banned.
I remember if you left the cap off an old squeezy oil can type container of it, it would all have vapourised/ evaporated, within a day or two.

Last edited:
What size cracks are they? I think I’ve got a pair lurking around from a mountain bike. Probably got the chain rings with them. Do you want me to dig them out for you?
Thanks for the kind offer :)

I’m going to have a go at sorting this one out*

My son doesn’t seem bothered, but I enjoy a challenge :)

*when I eventually get time..... it’s behind a long list of car jobs.

Crank puller £10 (will use again so not included in total bike spend)

I think it’s fair to say I’ll end up over budget but not by too much.
I have a garage full of "I'll use that tool again so it doesn't count in the cost of the project"... Sometimes I can even find it next time I need it.

Getting there.

Not gonna lie, my painting skills leave a lot to be desired. But it’ll do.

Colour scheme works.

View attachment 394938
That's a handsome looking machine. Its wheels would probably last about a week up here given the state of the local roads, but it is a really nice job for something that otherwise would have been binned.