Crappy old bike build.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I love an old shitty bike.

From a young age my old man taught me the joy of rebuilding bikes that had been discarded.

We were poor but I still had the coolest bike on the block.

My first BMX was an old Raleigh that he found in a skip. He stripped it completely down, resprayed it white and neon pink (it was the 80s) and added a green seat, grips and brake callipers.

There is something special about rescuing a bike and bringing it back to life. It’s fun, relatively easy and not particularly expensive to do.

So imagine my joy at finding this old 12 speed Emmelle in a skip on the farm.

It looks ok to be honest. Nothing actually wrong with it apart from age. It’s clearly been dumped outside and just left to rot.

Tyres are dead as are all the steel fixings and nuts and bolts. However the important stuff like frame, forks, wheels and anything aluminium is sweet.

I’m gonna tart it up into something rideable.

I’ll keep the budget below 100 quid, which should be more than enough to make something nice.

There was a shitty mountain bike and a kids BMX in the skip with it. These shall be used for donor parts if needed.

E65FBE9C-2FD1-4A27-B800-391C224A9FA9.jpeg

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
First job, strip the thing down. Remove anything that is definitely knackered and keep aside any bits worth saving.

6B5E6810-1BB7-4C23-9D80-E14558848167.jpeg

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Bits for the bin.

The seat is actually OK, but I’ve ordered a nice brown leather one to go with the brown handlebar tape I’m gonna put on.

BC561513-8C7C-4179-AED2-D5D3BD99A0E7.jpeg

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Wheels are surprisingly straight. Not perfect but definitely not worth replacing.

Some steel washers and nuts etc. are badly rusted but will be largely hidden when the bike is back together. Any exposed nuts or bolts will be replaced with stainless.

I got a 400pc mixed box of stainless bike nuts, bolts and washers for 12 quid on Amazon.
8E16EE24-5B5D-4C36-883A-7FD05B604E5C.jpeg
B83050C2-EAC6-4888-9896-AAD7210FB566.jpeg

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Cillit Bang and wire wool has brought it up a treat.

58E96C0E-AB94-44C7-BA2E-CC3AA0EA9CC3.jpeg

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
A few bits left to soak in cillit bang before going over with wire wool.

Notice the state of the seat post.

787CFDAB-8A5A-4184-AEC9-D92B4B5940D7.jpeg

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Seat post after a quick blitz with wire wool.

BBB40A46-C1DE-4538-AB58-A019A6367464.jpeg

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Donor mountain bike. To be honest I’m not sure there is much on here worth using but it’s there just in case.

6C1642D3-3427-4284-8312-06ED14B8A05C.jpeg

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Stem looking tidy after a hit of cillit bang and wire wool.

The trick to making this look good is to have a few nice shiny bits that detract your eye from the areas that are not so good.

A48A5446-333B-44F9-99EE-0FE22D2DFE0A.jpeg

If you didn't have a bike back then you were no-one. I had my de-luxe one (£8 from a bloke in Melksham who had a business building bikes from bits and bobs) a Raleigh with Campagnollo gears, also anything less than a 27" wheel was kids stuff, I could reach the pedals but the floor with both feet was out of range.

I also had also one of a pair we found on the rubbish dump; that was a great playground, right next to the Rock Apes assault course at the bottom of the camp at Colerne which also doubled up as a nice playground.

The dump bike was a sit up and beg type with Sturmy Archer gears and was a bloody heavy thing, pedalling that up Doncombe Hill from bottom to top would have been a good SAS selection test I tell you.

A noble cause but remember that down at the local stables, the horses are drawing straws as to which one of them will be sending you flying over the handlebars.

Just saying...

My first couple of proper bikes were from the local tip, that my Dad then stripped, cleaned and repainted for me.
They were my pride and joy back then cause my Dad ‘made them’.
Cracking tipic Ravers, I’m looking forward to seeing how this turns out.

TamH70

MIA
One is not allowed to do that in this local authority area, as some past administration gave a contract to some odious outside company that meant that they guard the municipal dump stricter than Faslane was the last time I visited.

Bit shit as there are a lot of decent bikes there on the evidence of my last visit to get rid of some old computer stuff that could be salvaged for pennies on the dollar which will just be shredded or sold to some Third World country.

WALT

War Hero
Sprog.

Mine looks a bit beaten up because I've been riding it with hobnails on (well ,I am a walt). Christ knows how the originals survived. Oh yeah, lots didn't.
DSCN4645.jpg

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Absolutely essential to have some tunes on the go when doing this.

Incidentally this is the same colour the bike will be when done. I have a can of spray left over from another project that’ll do nicely.

It’ll go well with the brown seat and handlebar tape, giving it a cool retro look.

2C436A3A-1106-422C-A402-C10CDB6F4BF7.jpeg

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
One is not allowed to do that in this local authority area, as some past administration gave a contract to some odious outside company that meant that they guard the municipal dump stricter than Faslane was the last time I visited.

Bit shit as there are a lot of decent bikes there on the evidence of my last visit to get rid of some old computer stuff that could be salvaged for pennies on the dollar which will just be shredded or sold to some Third World country.
It’s amazing what people will chuck out. No one seems to know how to change an inner tube these days.

I’ve seen bikes ditched because the chain has come off.

There is (used to be?) a bloke at Camden market who had old dump bikes for sale that he’s done up.

He was asking stupid prices, 100 quid plus, but hipsters were buying them to look cool.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The pedals (as always) are a **** to get off.

This shall involve a vice and a big hammer.

A024B9B6-C6E5-474C-8283-3DE47988CE3C.jpeg

Latest Threads