Crap Service from Pearsons/M & S Shipping

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Krazy_Ivan, Jul 22, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Last year I moved from Germany to NI, on an unaccompanied tour. As a result the Army was not able to offer my wife a house until 8 months after we left Deutschland, and our furniture was put into storage with M&S Shipping.

Surprise, surprise when she finally got a house, it was discovered that Pearsons had failed to bring all our property with them. As a result we are down about 2k's worth of kit: Oven, Double bed etc. (all very small easily mislaid items!!!).

Now I know that I need it, but I do not appreciate having to be insured against this level of 3rd party stupidity, why should I have to suffer an increase on my insurance premiums? For God's sake its not as if I've never had these things in the 1st place, as they were on the loading manifest.

I know for a fact that I am not the first person that this has happened to, but I would like to know if and how other people have dealt with this sort of thing.

Not even so much as an apology, (So sorry Mr & Mrs ****** we seem to have misplaced your stuff.) I really couldn't see this level of incompetence beeing deemed acceptable in civvy street, so why are the Forces stuck with this complete and utter 'wnak' service?

2. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

Phone the DTMA. When posted to NI, NCL managed to misplace my 5 MFO boxes (easily done) for a matter of weeks, and not once but twice! Endless calls to their customer disservice dept, discovered the consignment in Bicester, aparently because a driver thought 'that's where all military stuff goes'. Subsequently the NI subcontractor claimed to have delivered it, whilst it was in fact sitting in their warehouse.

I did not see why I should claim on my insurance because of their incompetence and negligence. I called DTMA who took it very seriously and were most helpful, and gripped NCL at once - boxes delivered within 24 hours and written apology from their Chf Exec - though it is apparently 'not company policy to compensate individuals since the MoD are the customer'.

DTMA explained that all these cretins are contractors, and have to perform or risk loss of the contract. However, if people don't complain to them direct, they often don't find out about the worst cases.

You could also threaten to sue them for their negligence in losing your kit. You may also find that mentioning letters to your MP will pay dividends.

3. BK!

BK! Old-Salt

Pickfords broke all my toys moving from Germany when I was a kid. Barstewards.

When I grew up (a bit) I refused to use them for anything.

Can't recall any compensation from them but Dad would have kept it anyway. :cry:

4. In a previous appointment I was involved with removals contracts and DTMA. If you don't tell DTMA what went wrong, they will assume that all is well!

They don't always award the contract on the basis of whoever is the cheapest, contrary to popular opinion. If they wanted cheap, they would hire "Man and Van" type services, not firms who are members of the trade body (BAR) who do set trainign regimes and standards for employees.

Forget not too that there are an unfeasably high number of bogus insurance claims made as a result of domestic MOD moves each year. Sadly many see this as an opportunity to upgrade and replace kit, or recoup the cost of their insurance policy with a bopgus claim. Until this culture is stamped out, the mover will always treat any claim with suspicion. Not trying to say that this particular claim is bogus - there is a case here.

I went to investigate a complaint by a 1*'s wife that the movers were over wrapping the goods and that as a result she would be faced with a bill because her wares would not fit in the giant trailer they had sent. What she had failed to admit was that after her furniture was surveyed and a suitable sized van was despached, she decided that she was going to move 40 bales of peat!

I went to see "antique desks ruined by carless handling" to find that they were IKEA/MFI/BnQ chip board computer desks! I could go on.

MFO box shipping and household furniture are two seperate and distinctly different systems.

5. OK, I know this may sound naive, but in reality, since the mover lost this stuff they were entrusted with, and there is record of them having received it to move, should it not be their insurance that covers it, not yours?
    They must have to perform to some diligence.

6. In the past month I have heard of 2 instances of " I'll leave the house open and the removals men can just deliver the stuff in. I'll sort it later" and I am not even anything to do with moving or quartering.

If no-one is there to count the stuff in versus the inventory, which the owner gets a copy of before the van leaves the old location, then items may well get left on the vehicle. (not usually when it is one family one vehicle, but if the consignment is only a part load of a multi drop....) If for example the items were left on and delivered with someone elses' gear who weren't perhaps so trustworthy, then they are literally untraceable.

You can't expect one van per family unless the family can fill it. The contractor is at the end of the day a business man and empty space is wasted revenue, so consignments do get joined together.

"I counted them all out, and then counted them in"

7. The delivery was supervised by me, when these items were discovered to be missing the removals men were informed by me that this was the case, I informed Pearsons head office; on the feedback letter I once again informed them. I have spoken to Mr Pearsons, who now no longer returns my calls. WTF?

P.S. I counted the boxes in and out

P.P.S It was not a multi drop

P.P.P.S. re: bogus claim it was on the manifest, but upon delivery it wasn't found on the truck or in storage. What suspicions should the removals firm have? I'll tell you what: "A sneaky f**king suspicion that they may well have lost my kit!"