Crap hats?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Clarkson510, Jun 8, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Im trying to find out what the old Para saying "HAT" is abbreviated from.
    I know the old stories about why certain people and regts are called Crap Hats, but i am sure that there was an abbreviation. Something like, "Hideous Attitude Towards Training?"

2. Bugger thought this was going to be about Panamas, berets, fedoras and fez's.

3. something to do with the forage style hats the recruits wear, i believe

4. "squaaaaaaawk"

• Like Like x 2
  5. Here you go, [​IMG]

6. These are extremely crap hats

[​IMG]

7. [​IMG]

These are Crap hats too.
    This is the wrong section to discuss this. The QM's Military Equipment section is for discussing actual military issues regarding kit. This belongs in the Naffi bar at best, or more likely the Arrsehole.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Centre company soldiers were known as "hats", as opposed to the two flank companies, grenadiers and lights, back in the 18th century. Grenadiers wore mitre caps and the lights wore various caps, and the centre companies wore hats - hence "hatmen" or "hats"

or crap hats for the paras are the trainees who don't possess a maroon beret yet - dpm peaked cap.

9. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

ah so the paras are trying to be ally and claim a napoleonic heritage then - must have come about because you never saw a walty para type on any of the sharpe movies just proper soldiers, portugese, french and some spanish. oh and yeomanry.

cept maybe lord rossendale - he probably has some wings on his kit.

10. There is a Russian word for hat (shapka) which, written in cyrillic characters is;

ша́пка

• Like Like x 19
  11. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

mind you they could have had napoleonic paras - its not like they jump out of planes or anything.

• Like Like x 5
  12. I thought it was to do with those bus conductor type hats tha craphats wear in no.2s the DPM peaked cap you get when your a Joe is known as a Cunt cap(because you look like one) hats also stands for hopeless attitude towards soldiering...... So the story goes.

13. Crap Hats are the type of soldiers who tend to take a dehydrated noodle snacks in plastic pots on exercise with them.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Allthough PARA's say it a lot, i doubt if any of them have a clue what it means!

15. Well I do you stinking hat cunt.

• Like Like x 16