Crap Christmas songs?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by daz, Dec 18, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. daz

daz LE

Ok, it's that time of year when you can no longer walk into a store or turn a radio on without "hearing" (read suffering) a "jolly" Christmas tune, So the question is, what are the 3 that really gets on your tits??

So here's my top 3 hates,

3. Cliff Richard and Mistletoe and wine-nauseating, mock sentimental garbage with probably the most hideous video ever, WTF is all that hand waving and rocking all about, has someone spiked cliff coke??, has Una Stubbs let a really offensive botty burp rip ??. :wink:

2. Bing Crosby - White Christmas, FFS, somebody please shoot the next DJ playing this song, it's not a classic, its annoying dross, ok 70 or 80 years ago grandma P might of enjoyed it (only because there was no Slade in those days), but lets try and at least get into the latter half of the 20th century, if not the 21th.

And finally

1. Happy Christmas (War Is Over) - John Lennon

The worst Christmas record ever, bar none, He can't sing, the lyrics are frankly crap, it's about as tunefully as a bag of spanners and it's about as uplifting and cheerful as having your legs removed with a set of bolt cutters, come to think of it having your legs removed with a set of bolt cutters is preferable than the pain this song gives your eardrums, it pure and utter garbage, the only use for CD's that have this record on is................well there isn't one, there is no excuse what so ever, all copies should be melted down and used as garden gnomes for old people.

2. ok I have edited the post heavily, yes I agree it's not the greatest song ever, but you have to look at when and why it was written to get the gist of it, 1972 Vietnam and John and Yoko's stand for peace. Yes maybe a bit cranky, abuse of popularity etc can all be shouted but the guy did stand up for what he believed in.
    But the corker of that post is "He cant Sing" and criticizing the lyrics Hmmmmmmm Well no one gets it spot on to everyones taste all the time but.........

Unfinished Music No. 1: Two Virgins (November 1968)
    Unfinished Music No. 2: Life With the Lions (May 1969)
    Wedding Album (October 1969)
    The Plastic Ono Band - Live Peace in Toronto (December 1969)
    John Lennon - Plastic Ono Band (December 1970)
    Imagine (September 1971)
    Some Time in New York City (June 1972)
    Mind Games (November 1973)
    Walls and Bridges (September 1974)
    Rock'n'Roll (February 1975)
    Shaved Fish (October 1975)
    Double Fantasy (November 1980)
    The John Lennon Collection (November 1982)
    Milk and Honey (January 1984)
    Live in New York City (January 1986)
    Menlove Avenue (October 1986)
    Imagine: John Lennon (Music From the Movie) (October 1988)
    Lennon 4 CD Boxed Set (October 1990)
    Lennon Legend: the Very Best of John Lennon (January 1998)
    John Lennon Anthology (4 CD Boxed Set) (November 1998)
    Wonsaponatime (November 1998)

Give Peace a Chance / Remember Love (July 7, 1969)
    Cold Turkey / Don't Worry Kyoko (October 20, 1969)
    Instant Karma! / Who Has Seen the Wind? (February 20, 1970)
    Mother / Why (December 28, 1970)
    Power to the People / Touch Me (March 22, 1971)
    Imagine / It's So Hard (October 11, 1971)
    Happy Xmas (War is Over) / Listen, the Snow is Falling (Dec.1, 1971)
    Woman is the Nigger of the World / Sisters, O Sisters (April 24, 1972)
    Mind Games / Meat City (October 29, 1973)
    Whatever Gets You Thru the Night / Beef Jerky (September 23, 1974)
    # 9 Dream / What You Got (December 16, 1974)
    Stand By Me / Mover Over Ms. L (March 10, 1975)
    Stand By Me / Woman is the Nigger of the World (April 4, 1977)
    (Just Like) Starting Over / Kiss Kiss Kiss (October 17, 1980)
    Woman / Beautiful Boys (January 5, 1981)
    Watching the Wheels / Yes, I'm Your Angel (March 16, 1981)
    (Just Like) Starting Over / Woman (July 6, 1981)
    Watching the Wheels / Beautiful Boy (November 9, 1981)
    Happy Xmas (War is Over) / Beautiful Boy (Nov. 29, 1982)
    Nobody Told Me / O' Sanity (January 5, 1984)
    I'm Stepping out / Sleepless Night (March 15, 1984)
    Borrowed Time / Your Hands (May 11, 1984)
    Every Man Has a Woman Who Loves Him / It's Alright (Sept.13 '84)
    Jealous Guy / Give Peace a Chance (October 3, 1988)
    Nobody Told Me / I'm Stepping out (October 15, 1988)

Apart from sadly being taken from this world, I dont reckon the ability to sing or write songs is in question do you, bearing in mind the list above does not include Beatles stuff !?!?
  3. 'Last Christmas' by Wham........utter dog wnak!
  4. I'm with Daz, don't care if he was a hippy and against Vietnam etc, it's fookin crap song!!!! Not sure I'd back him on Lennons ability to sing though, I thought he was alright.

THE WORST XMAS SONG IS EVER IS WHAM - LAST XMAS (I SHOVED A BROKEN BOTTLE IN YOUR FACE YOU HOMO CNUT) - Accapella radio edit gay club and 14 year old girls mix"
  5. Git, you were to quick!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
  6. daz

daz LE

Rapiermanm that just proves,

1, There was a lot of people doing drugs during the late 60's/early 70's

2, Some people will buy anything :wink:

John Lennon was, and is, vastly over rated, and don't get me started on the whole Beatles thing, i've yet to hear anything decent by them, again over rated to the extreme, but thats a whole different thread :wink:

As to his voice, well IMHO its a whiny scouse dirge, in fact all scousers should be banded from singing forthwith, see Cilla Black and Ringo Starr for details why :lol:

Ps, he really, really. really can't bloody sing :wink:
  7. Oh dear me, don't fish for a petty fight on here cos frankly I can't be arrsed! All the figures speak for themselves and as such who are you to decry the wants and desires of millions, go to the cash point, check your balance!!! I do believe Pauls stands at about 647 mil, shit tho eh ! Where are people like Crow when we need em eh
  8. Crap Christmas songs?

All of them. Simple really.
  9. Jingle fcuking Bells. Santa Claus is Coming to fcuking Town. Any Christmas song that's easy for five-year-olds to remember and sing over...and over...and going to get on my nerves.
  10. ... NO NO NO NO NO.

That travesty of a song by Wings. Fcuking hate it hate it hate it hate it.

'Simply having a wonderful Christmas time' makes my ears bleed and my bowels shivel. I will never forgive Paul McCartney, even if his wife has only got one leg and the one who sang on it karked it.
  11. B@STARDS That was my choice. :evil:
  12. Thats my goal. What a load of shite. Apparently it's going to be this years No1, there rushing it to the shops now, WHY.??
  13. Was the appalling 'Grandma we love you' not released at Christmas? That makes me ill.
  14. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

'Winter Wonderland' and other crap - being played over huge loudspeakers, North Korea stylee, in Lisburn town centre recently - there's no escape, as every fecking shop has it's own Christmas muzak blasting out as well.
  15. Grandma we love you - had forgotten about that horrendous syrupy dirge - only bright point that one of our officers (pillock) in a drunken moment admitted to being a member of the choir that got involved - didnt live that down for a long long time - think hes now out with the Australian Air Force