crane and plant qualifications

Discussion in 'Education and Resettlement Courses' started by shutts, Jan 15, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Are you aware that you can obtain your CPCS qualification for crane operator, slinger ticket ect ect at minley and all catergories of plant at Chatham

2. It's not quite that straight forward mate but there are opportunities there for RE POM's to gain qualifications.

My info is a year or two out of date but the last I heard about Plant CPCS quals from Chatham was that the PQC would assist in providing the opportunity to achieve 1 catagory free of charge and additional catagories for an extremely modest fee. This offer was only open to military POM's who had already done the 7 clicks to heaven on JPA and not open to any other trade (applicants need to be competent going into the assessments as no training is provided).

The guys at the PQC should be your first point of contact on 94661 2594

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

3. pom hero i can tell you that it is available to both re crane ops at minley and poms at chatham as i currently carrying it out you are corect about the modest fee this is to cover the registration fee to cpcs and the tester fees but it is considrebly cheaper than any training provider in civy street any crane ops that require a card can contact me for more info

4. Guys, I don't want to piss on anyone carrots. But you can be qualified to the hilt (I am/was), but don't be under any illusion that it will get you into a job any easier.
    Plant experience is what civvie employers want and they all know that gaining that whilst in the Wedges is very limited.

Its all very well playing in "the sand pit" or even on a construction tour, but its a whole different ball agme doing "Civils", pipe tracks and footings etc.

Persevere though, if its what you want to do. I did for 12 years, on an excavator, but got bored.

5. Guys, I don't want to piss on anyone carrots. But you can be qualified to the hilt (I am/was), but don't be under any illusion that it will get you into a job any easier outside.
    Plant experience is what civvie employers want and they all know that gaining that whilst in the Wedges is very limited.

Its all very well playing in "the sand pit" or even on a construction tour, but its a whole different ball game doing "Civils", pipe tracks and footings etc.

Persevere though, if its what you want to do. I did for 12 years, on an excavator, but got bored.

6. when i went to work for ardmore, i was told my tickets where not recognised and had to redo mine,granted mostly it consisted of being observed operating and a small multipole choice test but to add, civvie street hates soilders.

7. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Nah, we don't. But people who cannot spell tend to get on our tits.

• Like Like x 1
  8. ABP, P&O and various Stevedore companies accepted mine no problem.

9. i picked a bad day to stop drinking bleach.

as for the spelling, you will either have to learn to live with my appaling spelling and gramma, or not, but promise me you will never forget me.

and sunami,did you have actual cpcs tickets?

10. Ardmore are notoriously picky.

They're also a bunch of *****

Ps get time on Leibherr cranes as insurance firms are starting to favour them

• Like Like x 1
  11. yup, they are indeed, i also found out what them byrne brothers got up to in the 70's and chose never to work again for em, i ended up a site supervisor though, lasted a few years with em.

12. They survive largely on central London projects and tend to stick to favourites like tower blocks and office units

Plenty of people go to work for them - but like most firms in the M25 its their way or the highway

SISK, Carilion and LendLease are the same - though Sisk has better people imho

13. i quit when a certyain site manager started telling me how he was pro ira and ex army, and boasting how he had shot brits in the 70's and 80's.

i decked him, only to be dragged up ro brimsdown for a meeting with pat whom informed me had he known i was ex brit squaddie he would never have employed me.

i worked on hendon,wandsworth, woking, barbican euston and camden to name a few, worked with big ted,frank gregson and the such,good times.

diid you ever meet the mad irish site manager called eugene, nomatter what you did,it was wrong, should have been a rsm for all his shouting.

14. They sound familiar - but allot of people do these days.

Currently at Sisk and rate them pretty highly. Irish firm and relatively chilled out compared to the likes of Carilion and Bouygues

There's a fair amount of work in central London but if you're prepared to travel, some pretty decent gigs on the south coast too.

Bouygues especially now insist on dedicated craneage above 3 storeys for H&S sake