Craig Fairbrass, 3 Para, Walt, fake Tat or real deal?

Richard Todd, (7 (LI) Para): John Conteh (10 Para): Lewis Collins (10 Para) only 'celebs' who come to mind as having para wings.

*Drift*
Parachuting was Lewis Collins downfall. His contract for 'The Professionals' had a no dangerous pastimes clause and he cracked a bone the day before filming a new series started. Apparently he faked tripping over a generator cable to cover it up and the electrician was initially sacked, prompting Mr Collins to do the honorable thing and make a full confession. The production could not continued and his fine just about bankrupted him as well as ending his acting career. Moved to LA and started a software company in the end.

Richard Todd has to top that list though! Imagine being at Pegasus Bridge on D Day, only to go back 20ish years later and do it again in a film. Allegedly wearing the same beret! He was offered the chance to play himself but opted for the Howard role.

You can add Bernard Cribbins to that list, served in Palestine just after the war.
Whenever you see Bernard Cribbins on the TV look carefully and he wears a Para Reg cap badge lapel pin or Wings.
In Dr Who, he wore a Maroon Parachute Regiment beanie hat.

Once a reasonable actor, now a bit part Jason Statham wannbe.
There's another one like Statham. A jock with a lisp. I don't know his name but he seems to have made it in the States and always shows up in the same sort of films.

Whenever I see either of those two I can't get to the remote quick enough.

Andy Farman

On ROPS
On ROPs
Richard Todd has to top that list though! Imagine being at Pegasus Bridge on D Day, only to go back 20ish years later and do it again in a film. Allegedly wearing the same beret! He was offered the chance to play himself but opted for the Howard role.
I was immensely privileged to meet Richard Todd, who was chatting with Julian Thompson RM, at the Imperial War Museum during an event. If there is such a thing as quiet charisma then both he and Julian Thompson possessed it.

Andy Farman

On ROPS
On ROPs
My Old Man once told Lewis Collins where to go while he was on Guard Duty in Aldershot back in Collins hey-day.
Which one was on barrack snatch? My beer bravado had me tell the Provo Sgt that once. He was the old fashioned "My award or face the door?" type so I had a split lip as a reminder of my youthful foolery.

There's another one like Statham. A jock with a lisp. I don't know his name but he seems to have made it in the States and always shows up in the same sort of films.

Whenever I see either of those two I can't get to the remote quick enough.

Chatting with someone from that side of the industry a little while ago, (although other opinions are also available, as he gets a bit bigger and is starting to demand more input) apparently Jason Statham was pretty much the ideal actor. He knew what he was good at, but also his limitations, turned up every day, sober, having learned his lines, did what he was told to, took his 5 mill or whatever and went onto the next film. Never any trouble on set, no hissy fits or stupid demands for rewrites, that sort of thing. Just what a director needs.

But he did get to shag Kelly Brook, so we shall forever hate him for that.

Andy Farman

On ROPS
On ROPs
And William James Connolly The Third.
Wasn't he in the Para T.A. Battalion?
Until he dated some trade unionists daughter and got brainwashed.

Chatting with someone from that side of the industry a little while ago, (although other opinions are also available, as he gets a bit bigger and is starting to demand more input) apparently Jason Statham was pretty much the ideal actor. He knew what he was good at, but also his limitations, turned up every day, sober, having learned his lines, did what he was told to, took his 5 mill or whatever and went onto the next film. Never any trouble on set, no hissy fits or stupid demands for rewrites, that sort of thing. Just what a director needs.

I recall some of his films are now trailed as "Jason Statham's - Kill all the Bad Guys" or Jason Statham's - Kill all the Bad Guys - Again"
He must have a good agent.

DSJ

LE

I met him once in a nightclub in a ski resort. He was out there with friends - apparently he took his old friends (not Hollywood types) out on hols every year. He didn't get a minute of peace with people coming up to his table and asking for pictures and autographs. He was incredibly polite and friendly - and patient! - all night.

Imagine coming back to Arnhem a year after and everyone playing themselves ....

Mölders 1

War Hero
Which one was on barrack snatch? My beer bravado had me tell the Provo Sgt that once. He was the old fashioned "My award or face the door?" type so I had a split lip as a reminder of my youthful foolery.
L.C. pulled up to the Gate in Aldershot while my Old Man was on Duty.....(back when Collins was a Household Name as William "3-7" Bodie In The Professionals".

Because he/Bodie was something of a Poster Boy for the Parachute Regiment he expected to be allowed to park his car within the Barracks, when my Old Man refused and told him "Park Your Car Over There", Collins said those famous last words "Do You Know Who I Am!?".

My Old Man replied "I Don't Give A **** Who You Are. You Park Your Car Over There". The Duty Officer then came out of the Guardroom and told Collins the same....Park Your Car Over There, (which he then did).

ches

LE

Well he's also not far off marrying the delicious Rosie Huntingdon-Whiteley with whom he has a sprog.

Andy Farman

On ROPS
On ROPs

1622536135730.png

And he nicked Rosie Huntington-Whiteley off Ronnie Woods stepson, Jamie..... b@strd! for getting to have breakfast with her, too..

He made bits of three films on my ground (Southwark), Lock Stock behind Borough Market, Snatch, with his caravan 'office' in the catacombs below London Bridge Station, and the Bank Job's garage which was a five minute walk from there and on each occasion may have corrupted the morals of whichever female officer was on crowd/traffic control, so bit of a lady magnet and quite an affable guy who has seen real life, a rarity in that industry.

I don't think Todd the Para actually featured in TLD. The part of Major Howard had a fair bit of screen time.

Latest Threads