Craftsperson?

Really? I can remember being advised in no uncertain terms the difference between a Signalman and a signaller.

A Signalman was a member of the Royal corps. A signaller was a trade for those who handled radios outside of said Corps. Never to be confused or conflated.

Like a "Bleep" then?

The Daily Mail said:
Colonel Richard Kemp, ex-commander of the British forces in Afghanistan said some stuff to the Daily Mail

How lucky was it for Daily Mail readers to get Col. Kemp breaking his customary silence to comment on Defence Matters, really really important'?

Should put it to the vote like the McBoatywankface thing.
Although I was a REME tradesman (person) I was never a Craftsman. I went straight from Pte to LCpl after initial trade training.

How lucky was it for Daily Mail readers to get Col. Kemp breaking his customary silence to comment on Defence Matters, really really important'?
I didn't known he was an ex-commander of the British forces in Afghanistan,
Why a photo of Hannah Winterbourne she was never a Craftsman

Last edited:
Should put it to the vote like the McBoatywankface thing.
Although I was a REME tradesman (person) I was never a Craftsman. I went straight from Pte to LCpl after initial trade training.
I joined as a Craftsman, was never called Private except on Pay Statements

Last edited:

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
Really? I can remember being advised in no uncertain terms the difference between a Signalman and a signaller.

A Signalman was a member of the Royal corps. A signaller was a trade for those who handled radios outside of said Corps. Never to be confused or conflated.
It changed at some point in the 1990s I think.

Guardsperson has a certain ring to it, and might swing by with the way the Brigade is going.
However not sure 'Sharpies lot' will take the change to Rifleperson well - Swift and Bold!
Ornament is both descriptively accurate and gender neutral.........

walrusboy

War Hero

Signalman was the private soldier rank designation in the Royal Signals. The memory dims but the rank designation might have changed to Signaller when women became direct entrants to the Corps instead of being WRAC attached to Royal Signals i.e. they wore the WRAC cap badge and wore a Royal Signals badge on their jumpers. I think other Corps did the same with WRAC personnel who were tradeswomen within a technical Corps employment group.

And yes, signallers were / are comms tradesmen in other cap badges such as Inf signals platoons but held the private soldier rank designation of their cap badge. Therefore, these days Signaller is both a rank designation for Royal Signals and a trade for non-Royal Signals cap badges.

NemoIII

War Hero
I don't see why 'Technician' can't cover it. Reverting to 'Private' (Although we were called that until we passed initial trade training) just seems lazy.

Would you really class TSS as a technician? Wouldn't really suit it.

Was whispers on Vehicle mechanic becoming Vehicle technician as we move away from using big red and a hammer.

exspy

LE
Therefore, these days Signaller is both a rank designation for Royal Signals and a trade for non-Royal Signals cap badges.
It seems to me that using the same term for both a Member of the Royal Corps and a non-member trades person diminishes the members of the Royal Corps. A Signalman would take months to become proficient in his or her basic trade and progress through more courses accordingly. A signaller could be trained in two or three weeks to handle a man-pack radio and telephone. Doesn't seem fair or equitable at all.

It seems to me that using the same term for both a Member of the Royal Corps and a non-member trades person diminishes the members of the Royal Corps. A Signalman would take months to become proficient in his or her basic trade and progress through more courses accordingly. A signaller could be trained in two or three weeks to handle a man-pack radio and telephone. Doesn't seem fair or equitable at all.
A half way decent Infantry Signaller can be shit hot compared to our now defunct RS Ops. They only really struggled with 117F or passing data over BOWMAN. As for choosing the correct frequencies or setting up decent HF antennas, all over it. R SIGNALS could be referred to as networkers as we don't do signalling any more.