Cracks in Iraq Shia-Kurd coalition

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by PartTimePongo, Oct 3, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

Why am I totally unsurprised by this move from the Kurds?
  2. Needless ta say I blames King George II and running dog Blur.
    KG promised all and every thing to anyone who's help he needed.
    Kurds own state eventually and the Turk into Europe as compensation.
    The Europeans are having none of this sh1t and Turkey can go wistel.
    The long term consequenses of KG's war are now slowly becuming apparent and given a few more deaths of US troop the sucessor ta KG will have to find a face saving formula to pull yankee troops out.
    Penny pinching will have by then done for the Brit army which will be just a devision of Euro Force.
  3. As It's coming upto bonfire night I'd like everyone ot remember the following infomation:

"Light touch paper at arms length, and stand well back."

Well the touch paper is lit, but not at arms length nor are we standing well back...

Of course in my more tinfoil hat moments I have to wonder if the recent unplesantness in Basra was a set-up.
  4. Probably because you are reasonable man and (almost) free from influence of Bush/Blair 'agitprop' (probably you undersand a meaning of this word: agitation & propaganda).
  5. The vote on Turkey has certainly shafted a compensation deal over the Kurds. Turkish SF and SIS have been operating in the region for some time , and they're just waiting for the off. If the Kurds think we're going to sell them out , they'll react.

Turkey is not going to tolerate agitation from the Kurds. I am always stunned, when I speak with professional and educated Turks about Kurds, their reaction is invariably somewhere to the right of Hitler. To say the average Turk regards the average Kurd as little more than Gypsies, rogues and terrorists is not an overstatement in my opinion. Kurdish "Freedom Fighters" they point out, have already committed hostile acts in Turkey , so what about the "War on Terror"?

There is a reason for the sudden upswing in Insurgent activity, and I don't think it's solely confined to "Imperialist Dogs out" Nor do I believe, it is as simple as disrupting the next election. The Sunnis are shouting long and hard for a political solution that satisfies all parties as much as possible, and keeps Iraq as a single entity.

That doesn't make the Sunnis "good" but it does bring the spotlight onto how to stop the next war. The Shi'tes have Oil in the South , the Kurds have oil and Gold in the North, and the Sunnis have gravel and sand. They should remember they have rather a lot of water too, but by the time water becomes a serious issue, they will be in no position to resist hostilities from the Kurds or the Shia

Someone on the Sunni side, unlike we seem to be doing, is looking at the game 5-10 years hence. Rather than just write them off as sore losers , which the propaghanda machine is wont to do, let's look at ways and means of getting them back in this game, we are going to need them.

I have said this before, we need to get the Sunnis on board, and I mean fast, that includes Syria. Because my worst prophecy , is things will go to absolute ratsh*t in a maximum of 6 months from the elections, as the Iraq people realise what a corrupt shower of bastiges, have wheedled themselves into power.
  6. "as the Iraq people realise what a corrupt shower of bastiges, have wheedled themselves into power. "

Yes the scum of King George.
    At the daily briefing in the White House, Rumsfeld gave Bush the news that three Brazilian soldiers were killed yesterday. George took the news very hard, and sat with his head in his hands for a few minutes. Finally, he looks up and says "So how many is a brazillion?"

7. I would echo the sentiments that anyone surprised by this has not been paying attention. The Kurds have never committed to an Iraqi state, they've been playing the process to achieve what they can on their journey to an independent homeland. They've realised that they've got to the end of the road as far as that is concerned and it's time to start shaping public opinion for the next stage, breaking away from the rest of Iraq. Fortunately for the Kurds the US never seems to grasp the concept that people might lie to them.

Arguably the only reason the Sunnis are agitating for a united Iraq is that they realise that without the Kurds and Sunni they're a small bunch of people very vulnerable to takeover by their neighbours. Plus they'd still like to rule the place like they used to do.

And I don't think the Shia care much, they know they're big enough to get on with or without the others and Iran will always be sympathetic towards them.

I am however waiting for the US spin machine to try and make out that this latest development is in fact evidence that everything is going well. All together now, "stay the course", "turning the corner", "we have killed AQ's number two leader again" ...

There was a policy of 'Arabisation' in Kurdistan.

9. A Spectator letter from Field Marshal Lord Bramall, VCDS, CGS and CDS during the period encompassing the Falklands War, winner of the Military Cross during 1945. Someone who knows something about warfare, far more than Bliar, TCH and TCR could ever read in their lifetimes.

10. Watch the spin monkeys in action!!!!!
  11. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Field Marshal Bramall said;
    how can I put this....feckin' A !

Lee Shaver
  12. Absolutely right ... but I fear that the current administration will merely label us as "eurofag cowards" and go on their own merry way. The US has always had a tendency to veer between isolationism and involvement abroad but I think that their current tendency to combine the worst elements of both positions is quite unique. When I read US policy statements and the output of many US commentators I am always reminded of the old Millwall chant "no-one likes us, we don't care".
  13. Maybe what would open the eyes of a lot of people on the other side of the pond, is Britain agitating for either a greater share of the decision making process based on our experience in the region, or threatening to up sticks. I believe if Britain was to announce a withdrawl or a timetable to do so, the only cries of Eurofag pussies being made, would be desperately gurgling ones, as the lifejackets were handed out in Washington. The vast majority of the educated in the US would simply be thinking "If the Brits are pulling out, something is desperately wrong"

Would it damage our "special relationship" with the cousins? Yes, for 3 years, or until Bush was otherwise removed from the presidency, whichever was sooner

A British withdrawl would hasten the end of the Bush Presidency in my opinion. It's probably the single greatest reason why Blair is keeping us in there, in spite of the fact we are treated as very much a junior partner. There is also the question of oil to consider. Would a British withdrawl drive the price of oil to over $70.00 a barrel ,increasing prices at the pump, so reducing confidence and further reducing Bush's domestic confidence rating?

Then again, I am not the first individual to say we haven't enough input in the political or trading process. So did our former ambassador to the UN and Iraq. Though admittedley , he changed his tune from his first stance at the UN in 2002/3.
  14. I'm beginning to think we don't so much need a timetable as a Wavell-1946 style Breakdown Plan...
  15. Al-Jazeera

That's the 2nd attempt I think. Isn't his father some cleric?