Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cracking versions of cracking songs

That's good but does show the limitations of the bagpipe in popular beat combos.

Big Country did the skirl better on guitars.

There is a film from about thirty years ago called Restless Natives which nobody seems to have heard of. Two kids ride motorbikes around the Scottish Highlands robbing coachloads of tourists and naturally acquire a cult Robin Hood style status with people going on coach trips just to get robbed.

The natural beauty of the countryside and the skirling guitars of Big Country make a superb combination (BC did most of the soundtrack).

The Dropkick Murphys do a halfway decent version of the original AC/DC bagpipe classic, Long Way To The Top If You Wanna Rock Snd Roll, as long as you can get past the slightly dubious Irish American political affiliations.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
Nerina Pallot doing no harm to Steely Dan's "Peg".

I love Nerina - never quite worked out why she's never really made it.

Doesn't stop her dumping an email in my inbox every month mind................

How many songs would get this treatment?

Crowd sing BoRap while waiting for Green Day to turn Up.

A couple of reggae themed versions

W P

LE
A cover of another Yuji Ohno classic: Treasure of the Flame. Very beautiful song & played well:

The original (sung by BOBBY):

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
For those who are deep into Westeros.....eat your heart out Lannisters!

I predict regular appearance of this choon at military tattoos for the next five years.

A bit of a thread revival, but I’ve only just found this. The bloke is nuts and the lass is very easy on the eye and good good on the guitar. Leo Moracchioli’s channel on YouTube is well worth looking at for a huge number of covers that he does.

RP.

Stairway to Heaven by Heart. Had Robert Plant moved to tears.

I'm glad you did revive it - for this cover of Stairway to Heaven. No pressure on the musicians, with the original band looking on, except for John Bonham of course. I suppose the fact that his son is playing drums helps.

I'm not a fan of Led Zeppelin covers as the original band was such a perfect and unique line up.

A tale of Horror:

Reading Rock 1983. It's a bright afternoon with a great selection of bands in the offing. The huge audience is in a collectively ebullient mood. A band take the stage, they perform a quasi rock/reggae number. The crowd are non plussed but in a forgiving mood and so continue their conversations undisturbed. But then...

..familiar but somehow tortured chords suddenly pierce the air. After a few bars the true barbarity of what is unfolding has dawned on the disbelieving and increasingly furious audience. A swelling rumble of cries of indignation begins, threatening to and then actually drowning out the offending musicians. The sunny afternoon darkens..is it a sudden storm, an eclipse?

No, it's 10,000 beer cans and bottles of piss blotting out the sun as they rain down on the stage, silencing the outrage. Carnage.

The memory of that day will remain for ever in the minds of those that were there:

The day that Steel Pulse attempted a Reggae version of 'Stairway'

Teeblerone

War Hero
A bit of a thread revival, but I’ve only just found this. The bloke is nuts and the lass is very easy on the eye and good good on the guitar. Leo Moracchioli’s channel on YouTube is well worth looking at for a huge number of covers that he does.

RP.
Nice one, great recommendation! That'll pass an hour or 2. Thank you.

Teeblerone

War Hero
I'm glad you did revive it - for this cover of Stairway to Heaven. No pressure on the musicians, with the original band looking on, except for John Bonham of course. I suppose the fact that his son is playing drums helps.

I'm not a fan of Led Zeppelin covers as the original band was such a perfect and unique line up.

A tale of Horror:

Reading Rock 1983. It's a bright afternoon with a great selection of bands in the offing. The huge audience is in a collectively ebullient mood. A band take the stage, they perform a quasi rock/reggae number. The crowd are non plussed but in a forgiving mood and so continue their conversations undisturbed. But then...

..familiar but somehow tortured chords suddenly pierce the air. After a few bars the true barbarity of what is unfolding has dawned on the disbelieving and increasingly furious audience. A swelling rumble of cries of indignation begins, threatening to and then actually drowning out the offending musicians. The sunny afternoon darkens..is it a sudden storm, an eclipse?

No, it's 10,000 beer cans and bottles of piss blotting out the sun as they rain down on the stage, silencing the outrage. Carnage.

The memory of that day will remain for ever in the minds of those that were there:

The day that Steel Pulse attempted a Reggae version of 'Stairway'
Ha! I remember that!
Then again, this lot amuse me, too: Dread Zeppelin

Ha! I remember that!
Then again, this lot amuse me, too: Dread Zeppelin
I was there man... not in the first 10 rows or so, luckily, as there were many drop-shorts.