Cracking little WWII movie

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by spike7451, Sep 23, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Cracking WWII movie with David Niven starting on Film 4+1 at 1550.23/09/09
    The Way Ahead (1944)

The Way Ahead

2. Agreed-though it's film of its time (cheery Cockerny privates and loads of 'Gor Blimey!') it's a pleasant way to lose an hour and a half as you prevent some Bishops Finger going past its sell by date.

I think this was the first time that William Hartnell trotted out his Rough But Kindly Sergeant, a role he gave us again in 'Carry On Sergeant'.

*anorak safely back on its peg*

3. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Dont forget Pte ' We're dooomed' Frazer....

4. I like the the cheeky travel agent chappy who turns out to be the only one who speaks another language and the battle for the town towards the end. Good old movie.

5. Damn! yes, you're right-and Stanley Holloway doing a uniformed version of Higgins from 'My Fair Lady'.

Seem to recall that David Niven did that film and then got fcked off to France to do it for real.

6. That drill Sergeant is a feckin smart lad!!!

7. "Once more for the day you missed on the Exercise!" :D

Class film, and a great piece of propaganda.

Also conforms to the golden rule of 40s cinema that every film must include a character played by Stanley Holloway.

8. Baseplate - "I think this was the first time that William Hartnell trotted out his Rough But Kindly Sergeant, a role he gave us again in 'Carry On Sergeant'."

Err yes.......but had you been around to watch the original releases you would have seen Hartnell as Sgt Maj Bullimore in 'The Army Game' in 1957 - the year before Carry On Sgt came out. 8O :wink:

No.9

9. Err yes.......and the point was both roles were similar: Sgt Maj Bullimore was kak-all like those.

10. Really? Perhaps you're confusing him as Dr.Who? :wink:

No.9

11. Did you know Peter Ustinov (the cafe owner) was posted as David Niven's batman so they could work on the film together?