"Crack" Iraqi Commandos "Rescue" Christian Hostages

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by jumpinjarhead, Nov 1, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Apparently US troops were involved, and the Iraqi "crack" troops were trained by US "crack" troops....so its no wonder there were so many "collateral" damages occured ;)

2. I liked this bit from their announcement:

"The Mujahideens raided a filthy nest of the nests of polytheism..."

I'm taking it that multiculturalism in the middle east isn't as important to them, as is it over here to us?

3. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Tad cynical there old boy, as we have all commented before hostage rescue can go disasterously wrong, there are so many variables and it simply boils down to luck if it doesn't.

One has to remember the Occupation of the Grand Mosque in 1979 (Grand Mosque Seizure - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) or indeed the bombs that went off in 1989 for which Shi'ites were blamed and executed.

Shouldn't have been Muslim I suppose.

If that is coming across as a bit waspish it's because I can't tell whether you are suggesting that the Rescuers were more slapdash because they were only resucuing Christians, or being sarcastic about being Christians in a Muslim land and therefore "legitimate" targets.

4. I expected something along the lines of your consistent and if may say, ever so slightly biased, posts.

5. The latter old man as I have consistently acknowledged that IHR is one of the diciest missions for any military force.

6. Crack troops- they must have been high on crack-
    how many civilians have they to kill
    they should not have been human you suppose.

7. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Ahhh, thought as much, just wanted to be sure.

8. The article quoted states the hostage takers had already thrown explosive device into a crowded room and detonated 2 explosive suicide vests 'minutes BEFORE' Iraqi forces entered the church - shitty situation, and getting any survivors out (about 70 people?) was an achievement I'd think.

9. Everyone these days thinks they can pull off a Prince's Gate...

10. Unusual sort of operation this, I suspect these chaps are playing to the Midterms, expecting atrocities against dusky Christians will be noticed. Foolish. Folk Stateside barely register Iraq these days, they've largely bought the surge narrative as an exit strategy and the still busted US economy is nipping at them hard. Takfiri generally greatly overestimate Christian religious solidarity, an ironic error as their movement largely butchers fellow Muslims often over minor differences of dogma.

As for the response, School No 1 and that theater in Moscow weren't exactly tidy. The Iraqis are rough handed folk, I doubt they'd have gone in any more gently in a Mosque. Hostages held by folk prone to be human ordinance in Shi'a marketplaces have a low chance of survival. Amazing anyone got out alive.

11. Good insights I had not considered. Especially spot on as to the average American's perception (I would not even call it a "view" any more) about Iraq. Attention spans are generally shorter than the periods between adverts on telly.

12. Not to mention how many ARRSERs were second onto the balcony. It is curious how few will own up to being the poor chap inverted in his rappelling (abseiling) harness.

13. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

F,,,k the second on the balcony mentality, and I hate crampons . Messy dirty situation, no win, We expect a western military (them , seals) result from a thrid world military guess what it wont happen.

14. I liken it to brain surgery with a bloody great mallet--you get inside but it is not pretty.