Crack filling prior to painting

Whenever I’ve filled a crack I’ve used Dr Bob’s Hot Salty Fish Yoghurt. Never done any painting myself; she always gets the painters in.

DAS

War Hero
Whenever I’ve filled a crack I’ve used Dr Bob’s Hot Salty Fish Yoghurt. Never done any painting myself; she always get the painters in.
Bob & Builder in his name. Sage advice.

wafubustard

War Hero
Let me know after the lockdown if you still want it doing. I am only down the road.

Decorators caulk, the flexible type.

Cheap and like the man above said, run a thin bead into the crack with a gun.

The only thing I would do differently is to use my finger to push & smooth it into the crack. Then clean the excess off with a wet rag.

ETA: Where is @MrBane when you need him?
He is sequestered in hi shedboratory ironing out a few teething troubles in his prototype antivirus machine that he invented for third world countries like Scotland.

Here is the Prototype ‘MrBane‘s MacVirus B Gone™‘

1585739103416.jpeg

Last edited:
In the absence of flexible fillers / caulk...

Normal filler rammed well into crack, remove excess with filling knife and then run a small wet sponge* along the angle - rinse any build up of filler from sponge as necessary.

When fully dry, run some well brushed out pissy (thinned) emulsion along the angle to seal the filler, leave to dry and then paint as normal.

It will crack again in time but the crack will be finer and emulsion paint will likely fill it thereafter.

* I use her little kitchen sink sponge scourer thing - preferably an already used and softened up one.

Nice idea but my use of a squeeze gun leaves a result worse than if my 3 year old grand daughter did it.
tesa crack repair tape.

I got some for some ceiling cracks and it was bloody good.

One wall in our house has one active crack in it and filler just didn't do the job. The tape is flexible so as the crack expands slightly in hot weather than closes slightly as it cools it moves with it.

You need to feather filler up to the edges of the tape for a perfect finish and a couple of coats of paint to make sure it is not visible before painting the lot and that is it done.

No one has mentioned it but owning some old properties and having the experience of trial and error when dealing with cracks, before using caulk or filler over a crack, use a wet sponge or spray gun and wet the surfaces of the crack before applying a fix. This prevents the porous surfaces from sucking out all the moisture in the fix too fast and presenting you with another nice crack or sinking in a few weeks/months time.

I don't think I have had so many cracks in just one paragraph.

Oh, and always run a hoover up and down your crack before you start, to remove any clagnuts.

It may or may not help but after filling cracks with filler or caulk always go over the filled bits with a coat or two of flexible crack sealer coat:

It won't stop large cracks re-appearing but does help mask fine cracks.

And I agree with others, and especially for filling joints or cracks in corners caulking is the way to go. It's much easier and quicker than using a filler and filling knife and it's not like trying to apply a bead of silicone which gets sticky and messy if not well practiced at it. The caulk can be smoothed off really easily with a wet finger.

But if you are really set on using filler, I found this good

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Thanks for all the replies folks, much appreciated :) May need to leave it with the lock down, no DIY places close enough for an essential journey.
Builders Merchants are still open in most towns
|Screwfix are also opening you order it online and collect
order a couple of tubes and a mastic gun as well

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Am using filler on a pallet knife but it's sh1t. Very kind of you to offer and help out but with the lock down not really viable (especially if you get nicked for non essential journey), am near'ish Portsmouth (Fareham) if you happen to be very close though :)

B&Q does a click and collect service for "essential supplies" which saw 'a friend of mine' get a wifi extender, a shower hose, and a towel rail. Please don't report 'my friend' to the Staatspolitzei. Bearing in mind 'my friend' is meant to be shielded, he sent his daughter across the B&Q carpark to pick up these essential supplies.

Back to OP, although I hat to admit it, YouTube is full of really useful advice on all manner of DIY jobs. I taught myself how to lay silicone sealant in a tidy manner

OneTenner

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Have you tried Amazon & fleabay? i've just ordered some hardware bits that will be here via Royal Mail in a couple of days.
B&Q and Screwfix are still open for collections but only pre-ordered and paid for online, which is OK if you're in a big town I guess as you can divert there on the way to the 'essential' shops - or class it as essential if its for urgent repairs to the fabric or security of your house.

If you can get a tube of acrylic silicone mix filler use that instead of just painters acrylic. The silicone puts some stretch into it and helps prevent future cracking.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Partly spurred on by this thread I decided to start redecorating the kitchen today.

As mentioned above, run a bead of flexible filler along the the join, then run a wet finger along it to smooth it out.

It’s surprising how skanking a room can get in 8 years.

Edit: make sure you get it right first time as this shit is a nightmare to sand.

D6A4F2C6-5062-4ECD-8741-D4145D0DE294.jpeg

Latest Threads