crabs in maroon berets?

Whilst in Blandford naafi today I noticed 2 portly RAF sergeants wearing maroon berets, neither had thier wings but that didn't stop them wearing them in the "flat cap" fashion.

anybody got any ideas?

P.S. they definatley had RAF cap badges before anyone asks.

Possibly Parachute Jump Instructors who form the Brigade Parachute Squadron for 16 AA Bde. All members of 16 AA Bde wear the maroon beret.

Bellthrob said:
Possibly Parachute Jump Instructors who form the Brigade Parachute Squadron for 16 AA Bde. All members of 16 AA Bde wear the maroon beret.
They didnt when I was in pal. May of changed, or I may not of been paying them much attention.

SK

Bellthrob said:
All except the 3 Army Air Corps Regiments :D
Sorry just being pedantic :wink:
Ill get my coat :oops:

The party line is, it's a throw back to the early days when all air delivered troops wore maroon, Paras, GPR etc.
So now troops delivered by SH are classed as air delivered, therefore the maroon (Royal Irish didn't).
Those Para trained (i.e. P Coy wear the wings to show their achievement.
Therefore the policy for all 16 AA Bde (male, female or other) is to wear maroon beret.

A lot of Rock Apes seem to like to wear their Berets in this fashion. Probably to show how "elite" they are. The_Guru could be right 16AA Tacp's are RAF so could have been one of them

Well if they are in 16 AA , whats the drama ? its only a beret . If they have completed p-coy and done the jumps course
no worries .I know the RAF reg guys who are in the TACP wear maroon as well . It becomes a drama if they have there wings up
without having completed P-coy and jumps surely .

The_Duke

LE
The Boy John,

Are you sure you are not talking about the flight attached to 1 Para - Therefore definately, absolutely, positively not 16 Bde. After all, that would mean that they had not cut 1 Para as an infantry Bn, and sent it to UKSF support role in order to avoid the drama of sacking another jock regiment.

16 AAB TACP all wear Maroon lids, they are RAF Reg. Not all of them have their wings up. It wouldn't have been PJIs, they wear RAF blue berets.

roadster280 said:
There's a precedent for this. The BALO at 5AB was an RAF Sqn Ldr, and had done P Coy, and was posted to 5AB. So he wore the maroon beret. And proudly. He had earned the fcuker.

Of course the POL point was a haystack when 5AB existed, but its not a new thing, crabs in Army lids. Personally I think 21 Sigs should wear RAF berets. Hows that for a kick off???? I'll jump in my trench now.

:lol: :lol:

roadster280 said:
Personally I think 21 Sigs should wear RAF berets. Hows that for a kick off???? I'll jump in my trench now.

Let's not go down that route, or we'll end up issuing RLC cap badges to all the Lineys and Tech Sup Specs because their role is logistics. Then again maybe I should go without head-dress, since I do nothing.