Crab's design their own watch

Discussion in 'Military Clothing & Boots' started by northern-matelot, Sep 11, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Uh-huh, I'm certain that the glint of sunlight off a watch at x000ft has caused the shoot down of countless aircraft.

2. And it still has a plastic strap at that price?? Still, I suppose it keeps in with the nature of the nylon uniform ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  3. I'm surprised that they've gone for a mechanical watch, especially using the hands to indicate temperature and so on. A digital display with an infinitely dimmable backlight would surely have been a better option so that the primary function of the wrist device (I'm avoiding using the term watch as that would infer that the primary function has to be time) can take centre stage while any or all of it's other functions could also be displayed.

Temperature function? Does it come with a wireless sensor? If not, in common with all other temperature indicating watches, what's displayed will be somewhere between body temperature and ambient. In other words, you could guess it equally accurately.

For timing bombing runs and flight times? How much did the avionics cost? Is there no clock on the HUD and no flight recorder?

They've brought in the subject of escape. Wouldn't that be the situation where a compass would be a valuable asset?

If they've canvassed several pilots, did none of them come up with the idea of a contactless payment system so that if they have to eject, they'll at least be able to book a room at a decent hotel?

• Like Like x 3
  4. Mark my words, there's going to be a spate of air crash investigations that cite the cause of flying into a mountain as "continuing on a roughly north easterly course for a period of 13.7 degrees celsius".

• Like Like x 1
  5. Pilots are already wired with contactless payment barclaycard thingies under their skin for such occurences, needed or decided upon. What is the point of putting it in a watch FFS?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Apparently the dates set permanently to Sept 1940.

• Like Like x 5
  7. Tsk..they shouldn't be wearing their own watches whilst acting as crew anyway.

8. Tally ho Ginger (can one say that these days?), chocks away and lets get Jerry with the sun in his eyes!

9. Crabs.

Not Crab's.

Very annoying.

• Like Like x 1
  10. In case they lose them and put in a claim for "another new Breitling" ?

11. G-Shock. It's guaranteed to survive a free-fall drop from 30,000ft. If it doesn't, the wearer can exchange it.

12. Got an itch, have you?

• Like Like x 1
  13. I thought they already had a watch where Mickey touches himself at 06:00 and 18:00.

14. You can't polish a turd but you can roll it in glitter.

That watch is £500 worth.