Crab rescues daughter from drowning

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by stabradop, Sep 8, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Why the hell would any sane parent be walking near to such a treachorous place with a young kid anyway ?

2. I just saw him on the BBC news, introduced as 'a Sergeant in the RAF who has a fear of water and enclosed spaces'.

Christ, they could at least make it difficult to slag them off.

3. Probably why he is in the RAF and not the RN :lol:

4. To be fair, on the TV news it looked like they were in a park where the floodwater had dislodged a manhole cover, and the child was playing in what looked like a big puddle when she went under. The family dog went the same way, and may be dead, sadly. Good reaction by the father, though - he had the presence of mind to work out where the pipe discharged more than 75 yds away, ran to the river and saw her floating. The little poppet had a huge grin on her face as well as some sizeable bruises. Well done that man - at last the RAF has something to be proud of!

5. Well at least he's not in the Submarine Service.

6. Bit more detail on the Sky News site, it appears the little girl was also switched on as she can recount being picked up by her Dad and said "I was trying to do a "Star Float" like I was taught at the pool" so THAT was why she was floating face down. Good drills , making sure she knows the basics of swimming even at that early age!

She WAS in sight of her parents at the time and appeared to be playing in a puddle in long grass like most kids would, given the chance, it just happened that it was actually an overflow from a drain lid that had been blown off due to the upsurge of water in the drain.

It all could have been so much worse, but for a bit of foresight in giving the little 'un basic water survival skills, the common sense shown by Dad and a bit of training that Mum had taken in First Aid!

GOOD ON 'EM!

PS...i'm sure the woofer is in "Dog heaven"

7. Who said that the little girl was out of their sight? She was playing in the park and fell through an un-grated drain hidden in long grass. What's to say that the parents weren't a mere few feet away?

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/skynews/20080908/tuk-girl-sucked-into-underground-pipe-45dbed5.html

8. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

I disagree. This was a horrible accident. They happen.

Kids need to have time on their own if they are to learn about risk. You telling me you didn't get let off the leash by your parents? It would explain a lot :D

9. I'm sure you're right: according to one report, Leona's bruises may have been sustained when she was snagged at some point along the pipe, and the poor hound, coming along behind her, knocked her free and so saved her life. But I do hope he survived - dogs are infinitely superior to at least 99% of the human race (me included).

10. This is all unecessarily untrue, in reallity her parents were frozen by some electromagnetical clostma beam while the Zannusi warriors drew her through the sizematic particle beam onto the Mother ship where they suspended her in lime jelly Then ran critical sherbert dib dab tests and blasted her with the "Pez gun"
    After they had inspected her and planted a smartie in her inner ear she was beamed back on plannet earth in a bizar fashion down some random drain. The girl then reported they had also kidnapped sevral hundred documents laptops and memory sticks from selected government organizations.
    I dunno who to feel more sorry for, the child? or her "real father" The late Tarquin Fintimlinbinwhinbimlim Bus Stop F’tang F’tang Ole Biscuit-Barrel. :p