Crab pie

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Poppy, Jun 17, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am considering making this at the weekend........has anyone tried it? Any recommendation for an accompanying wine? I would normally look at white wine with crab but as the recipe includes red wine.............

Crab pie
    Gordon Ramsay

Serves 4

2 dressed crabs (brown and white meat)
    ¼ tsp nutmeg
    ½ tsp cinnamon
    ¼ tsp ground ginger
    2 tbsp red wine
    A little butter to grease
    450g tin of artichoke bottoms or hearts
    3 hard-boiled eggs, finely chopped
    24 seedless white grapes, cut in half
    250g fresh asparagus, cooked and chopped
    Juice of 1 orange
    125g clotted cream
    350g puff pastry
    1 free-range egg yolk, beaten

1 Preheat the oven to 220C/Gas 8.
    2 Separate the brown and white crab meat and mix the brown with the nutmeg, cinnamon, ginger and red wine. Season.
    3 Butter a 20cm, 5cm-deep pie dish. Rinse and drain the artichokes and place in the dish. Top with the egg, the spiced brown crab meat, the grapes and asparagus. Season and pour over the orange juice.
    4 Spread the clotted cream over the top using a knife and then evenly spread the white crab meat over the cream.
    5 Roll out the pastry and cover the top
    of the dish. Roughly scrunch the edges around the dish to seal. Brush with beaten egg and place in the preheated oven. Bake for 25 minutes and serve immediately.

2. 2 tbsp of red isn't going ot overpower it to the extent that a white is out of the question.

Chablis? Muscadet?

Perhaps serve a perry instead?

3. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

......Sitting here waiting on the obvious 'crab' jokes....

4. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

That would just be toooooo easy!

As it's quite a heavy recipe I'd go for a light/medium bodied white that has background acidity; for example an Italian Orvieto or a Vignonier.

5. There are an awful lot of flavours going on in that pie, Poppy.
    It's like all my favourite foods in one pie.
    But it does sound VERY interesting. :D
    I certainly intend to give it a try ...... hence my posting on the thread (so I can find the recipe again).
    Call me uncouthed, if you like, but, in pies like this, I LOVE to have pastry all round (not just on top).
    I love a bit of pastry. :wink:

6. I HATE CRABS