I remember when one of the new (at the time) fire appliances in Episkopi being burnt and it was blamed on an electrical fault and not on being parked up and left while the fire outflanked the Defence fire service while they were not looking.
In the middle of the night a few years back, a passing citizen ran up to the door of one of "my" fire stations and began pounding on the door. Firefighters rushed to the door thinking it was perhaps a medical emergency only to be told their fairly new appliance in the apparatus bay was ablaze. So bad was the situation, they had to ring the 911 centre for a response from the main station; heat and smoke was so thick they could not enter the bay where their SCBAs were located in any event. An investigation showed the assembly plant had neglected installing one or more nylon grommets where the cable harnesses passed through neighbouring equipment compartments. (This same circumstance happened in a few other fire departments through the country.) The result was a new engine on the factory. When the station was restored to service it had a fire detection and sprinkler system throughout.