Crab Air saluting Blair

Have just seen Blair get off his Carb Air Jet at Northolt. Some RAF Bird chucked one up as he got off and as he drove off. As he doesn't hold a Queens commission, wtf?

Cow said:
Have just seen Blair get off his Carb Air Jet at Northolt. Some RAF Bird chucked one up as he got off and as he drove off. As he doesn't hold a Queens commission, wtf?
Probabally misunderstood when told beforehand to give him a "two finger salute" by the base WO. :D

You have to, it's 'protocol' apparently, as is calling him sir. Whenever I have met a politician from an aircraft I have only ever referred to them as Mr Smith or Minister on a point of principle.

If its any consolation the DAMO at RAF Northolt is employed for the sole purpose of saluting a variety of VIPs, so he isn't wasting the time of anyone important :twisted:

Cow said:
More to the point, why is he being flown about by the RAF when the Queen
has to use BA. Are there none of the RAF Red Line left that are capable of crossing the Atlantc?

Gremlin said:
Cow said:
has to use BA. Are there none of the RAF Red Line left that are capable of crossing the Atlantc?
We've got a couple of BAe 146s somewhere, but BA is more comfortable and you get better service. Many years ago we used VC10s with a special Royal fit IIRC.

Cow said:
Someone wasn't paying attention during training- and it wasn't the "RAF bird".

Bat_Crab said:
Gremlin said:
Cow said:
We've got a couple of BAe 146s somewhere, but BA is more comfortable and you get better service. Many years ago we used VC10s with a special Royal fit IIRC.
Moreover, a 777 doesn't run out of fuel halfway between Iceland and Greenland.

Bat_Crab said:
You have to, it's 'protocol' apparently, as is calling him sir. Whenever I have met a politician from an aircraft I have only ever referred to them as Mr Smith or Minister on a point of principle.

If its any consolation the DAMO at RAF Northolt is employed for the sole purpose of saluting a variety of VIPs, so he isn't wasting the time of anyone important :twisted:
Whats a DAMO

Thanks

It seems that he used a commercial chartered aircraft to fly North; http://www.adfero.co.uk/news/news/politics/blair-arrives-quit-speech-$473303.htm . I expect the Air Force 146 wasn't grand enough nor big enough for him. Remember all the fuss about him wanting to spend money on a Blair Force One?

The requirement to salute the Queen's Ministers (after all, she did appoint him) is most unpleasant because you can't even condition yourself to be saluting the uniform. At least the cnuts on his way out!

Passed-over_Loggie said:
The requirement to salute the Queen's Ministers (after all, she did appoint him) is most unpleasant because you can't even condition yourself to be saluting the uniform. At least the cnuts on his way out!
Wouldn't it be funny if she says "One thinks Gordons a cunt, I don't approve"

Roll on the coup!

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
hedgie said:
Bat_Crab said:

Whats a DAMO

Thanks
Duty Air Movements Officer (apparently)

hedgie said:
Bat_Crab said:

Whats a DAMO

Thanks
Duty Air Movements Officer

Bugger, too late

Passed-over_Loggie said:
It seems that he used a commercial chartered aircraft to fly North; http://www.adfero.co.uk/news/news/politics/blair-arrives-quit-speech-$473303.htm . I expect the Air Force 146 wasn't grand enough nor big enough for him. Remember all the fuss about him wanting to spend money on a Blair Force One?
I wouldn't mind if they followed the Spams' example and sold seats in the back of the jet to journos. (IIRC, their organisations pay the equivalent of a 1st class commercial ticket.)

The_Duke

LE
Sixty said:
hedgie said:
Bat_Crab said:

Whats a DAMO

Thanks
Rarely seen, usually replaced with a spotty gwar SAC squeaking "scuse ranks".

The_Duke said:
Sixty said:
hedgie said:
Bat_Crab said:

Whats a DAMO

Thanks
Rarely seen, usually replaced with a spotty gwar SAC squeaking "scuse ranks".

Grrrrrrrrrrr fecking movers..

*wanders off muttering to self*

crabtastic said:
Passed-over_Loggie said:
I wouldn't mind if they followed the Spams' example and sold seats in the back of the jet to journos. (IIRC, their organisations pay the equivalent of a 1st class commercial ticket.)
Having seen off Charlie on state visits before now, the Royal Household sells seats to journos at around £7,000 a pop which effectively pays for half the flight. Unfortunately it meant that my air terminal was full of grasping journo types demanding an endless supply of tea and newspapers to the detriment of the Balkans-bound squaddies who were also in the terminal at the same time.

Apparently royal journos are better than most (they have to be to be allowed on the trips) but they were still c0cks to a man.

Bat_Crab said:
crabtastic said:
Passed-over_Loggie said:
Having seen off Charlie on state visits before now, the Royal Household sells seats to journos at around £7,000 a pop which effectively pays for half the flight. Unfortunately it meant that my air terminal was full of grasping journo types demanding an endless supply of tea and newspapers to the detriment of the Balkans-bound squaddies who were also in the terminal at the same time.

Apparently royal journos are better than most (they have to be to be allowed on the trips) but they were still c0cks to a man.[/quote]

As are ALL of the RAF.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Dashing_Chap The Intelligence Cell 14
uncle_vanya The NAAFI Bar 14
Mr_Fingerz The Intelligence Cell 57