CR2 blinded by machine gun fire??

Hello tankies

I've just come across this:

"A challenger 2 was essentially disabled by the Iraqi army just by them firing machine guns at the view ports and slamming RPG's into it's vital areas for the crew to have any clue what's happening. (All things that are in the front)

The tank was never penetrated and was structurally 100% in tact, but they took out the beasts eyes therefore it could not fight. The crew and tank were rescued."

Utter pooh or an element of truth?

Thx

BB

I don't know a lot about CR2, but I, doubtful judging by the accuracy of an RPG in general and the accuracy of the average enemy in particular.

Sounds plausible, but would need to be a serious rate of fire.

Hello tankies

I've just come across this:

"A challenger 2 was essentially disabled by the Iraqi army just by them firing machine guns at the view ports and slamming RPG's into it's vital areas for the crew to have any clue what's happening. (All things that are in the front)

The tank was never penetrated and was structurally 100% in tact, but they took out the beasts eyes therefore it could not fight. The crew and tank were rescued."

Utter pooh or an element of truth?

Thx

BB
Came across it where?

I think the tale was 14x RPG's plus 1x Milan.

So yes the tale is true, no vision for the crew, drove into a ditch and shed its tracks.
No injuries and back in use in six hours

The Challenger 2 that some posters tell us is a death trap because the armour is shite.

Found this on wiki:

In one encounter within the urban area a Challenger 2 came under attack from forces armed with machine guns and rpgs. The driver's sight was damaged and while attempting to back away under the cdr's directions, the other sights were damaged and the tank threw its tracks entering a ditch. It was hit directly by fourteen rpg's from close range and a Milan anti-tank missile. The crew survived remaining safe within the tank until the tank was recovered for repairs, the worst damage being to the sighting system. It was back in operation six hrs later after repairs.

Some words have been changed to comply with posting rules.

Bugger beaten to it by jagman2

I wonder if we could fit mini cctv cameras on CR2 as part of an upgrade ( IDF Merkavas and various other systems have them ). One could make it pretty small/not immediately apparent and robust but with enough resolution to give the driver a fair chance of driving it away when all the visions blocks are shot to buggery.

4(T)

LE
So was the Milan a proper hit, or did it bounce off without functioning properly?

Would be interesting to know the effectiveness of the AT weapon we were supposed to hold off the Warsaw Pact with...

So was the Milan a proper hit, or did it bounce off without functioning properly?

Would be interesting to know the effectiveness of the AT weapon we were supposed to hold off the Warsaw Pact with...

In fairness - and I'm a great fan of the CR2 - there's various versions of Milan, and the late model ones were pretty nasty on the receiving end. We need someone from Milan troop to give their learned - be interesting to hear what they reckon.

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
Wasn't Beharry V.C's Warrior hit by mulitple RPG's which shattered his periscope.
Part of his citation IIRC was due to him sticking his head out to drive on.
I seem to remember a claim of 22 seperate RPG hits although I'm not sure if that was simply to boost confidence in the wagon at he time.

SOPs for infantry in contact with Warsaw Pact armour were to, well die, but if given the chance to pepper the sighting systems and keep the crews locked down, And then die. Someone adopted our SOPs?

I, for one, am unaware of any transparent material that will stop a bullet while remaining transparent.

There was an interview on the beeb about the event.
Basically blam blam blam KAboom... "well we're still here" blam blam blam etc.
I'm sure the intertubes will supply a better precis than me.

Boxy

GCM
I, for one, am unaware of any transparent material that will stop a bullet while remaining transparent.

BATUS '82/83 C Sqn Scots DG C/S 3C, 7.62 round hit one of the Commanders episcopes, round stuck in the glass, split the glass block but apart from the crack the 'scope was still usable

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Cobra9194

Clanker
When you're hatched down, you tend to get a 'feel' of your terrain and surroundings. You generally know what's in each direction.
If the shit hits the fan, and you're zapped, It generally goes to ratshit.
4 people shouting at the same time....
I'd expect a quick bug out to a place you saw earlier, wait for the all clear...and then marvel at the war wounds your wagon has received.

I'm sure there's a lot of people in other countries who would be VERY interested...which is why we won't be discussing it! ;-)

Edited to add: in relation to CR2!

Last edited:

Latest Threads