CPU Liquid Cooling

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by gorilla, Nov 4, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, just upgrading my PC shortly, i'm thinking of getting a liquid cooling unit for my CPU, has anyone got any experience of these? If so are they a worthwhile buy for a gaming PC or just a gimmic?

2. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

it's always struck me as having a lot to go wrong, and water and electric dont mix. also, why do you need it unless the cpu's been overclocked to a silly level?

3. If its quiet you want there are some really good heatinks that will be fine. As maguire says its down to over clocking preferences really. I find them costly but more for high end/enthusiast gear.

4. Echoing maguire here.

If you are not over clocking do not even look at water cooling, you can easily be talking £100min for a decent set up. And if you are not overclocking you wont see a benefit.

If you are running at standard speeds then air cooling is fine, the key is a good open case layout, tidying your cables and decent fans. Thats it, you save a fortune you can spend on an epic night on the town or even sillier/better bits of kit for the new system.

Hiper 120mm case fans at 50cfm and 20dB are my top tip, i picked them up at £13 each on ebuyer ages ago.

5. Water cooled PC.

Now this is what I would call a heatsink...

[​IMG]

6. Chance would be a fine thing, each of my pumps cost that;
    [​IMG]

7. I wouldn't bother, unless your processor(s) are overclocked to be insanely hot.

You can get rid of virtually all the noise by installing at least one cool air-intake and one hot-air exhaust fan. These fans should be as big as possible so that they can spin at low revolutions so as to keep the noise down. Fan RPM controllers with thumb dials are cheap and easy to install in your front panel.

That way you can install a heatsink for your CPU and a semi-fanless PSU like this high quality bit of kit from Germany - the fan will only come on in emergencies (which is all the time if there isn't proper air flow in the case). Enermax Modu 87+ is also very efficient and quiet because the (constant) fan is suspended on magnetic 'bearings' so that there is no friction.

This assumes that you have got a case with decent ventilation and PSU placement options.

Once you've got the air-cooling sorted out you can set about insulating the panels for sound.

NB : 500W is plenty for a 1 GPU system. You would have to do some serious skull-trailing for capacity to peak. With a few notable exceptions, PSUs tend to be quite inefficient when operating at lower capacities anyway.

8. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

that does look very cool indeed in an industrial/Matrixy style though, I will have to say.