CPU dong 10 to the dozen.

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by offog, Dec 18, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The poor fan is breaking it’s heart trying to keep it cool. The CPU is at a constant 100%.

Some time yesterday the daughter said she was required to down load an updated MSN or it would stop working. From then onwards it ran slow she said (probably because the CPU was in over drive).

Firefox would not run and a quick look said it was no longer installed although the shortcuts and link in programmes was there. Explorer would open but would not connect.

Other things started or did not start. When opening devise manager the window was empty. Reset points had all gone and the only month available was Dec.

MSN was running at 98/99%.

AVG was run which made changes to about 6 items one was kernel 32 and all showed up as red in the end of the check. No viruses found.

PCchecker was run and a defrage. At some point internet was lost.

Following a reset using PCchecker internet worked (steam) but not firefox or explorer. The devise manager was working.

Now when it runs SVC host is running 10 to the dozen. When disabled via devise manager the OS got upset and said “DCOM server problems launching service”.

I have two PCs both next to each other. One ok and the other not.

Can any one give directions please?
  2. Yes, stop conceiving retarded children
  3. try taking the computer back to your last restore point see if that helps. sound slike a virus or worm lurking in there somewhere
  4. that solved some problems but still running at 100%
  5. You need MSR or one of the other experts.

I know the square root of f all, but look at task manger, see wich prog is going mad?
  6. Thanks
    malware sorted it after taking 3 hours to run the scan. the next scan after reboot took 7 mins.
  7. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

This is a pretty common problem with AVG, I'm afraid - happened to me. ditch AVG, get something better. Their Forums have many people complaining about it, but few solutions. I had to reinstall XP to get rid of it.

Oddly enough it only seems to affect those with the free version - pay the dosh, and you have no probs. coincidence, eh?
  8. msr

msr LE

Not really, read this forum, bin AVG and replace with a number of other free antivirus products ;)