CPO rape conviction quashed

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by green_slime, Jun 22, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBC Clicky

I hope that he can get on with his life now and it does not affect him too much, despite having lost his career.

2. As his conviction has now been quoshed, can he be reinstated into his former position? If not he must be in for a huge payout for wrongful dismissal?

3. like he's ever going to be able to serve within the royal navy again after all this. can you imagine the stick he'd ave to put up, afterall, despite whatever whichever court rules, everybody has their own opinion don't they? now not knowing the man, i don't judge either way as to whether i think he did it or not, but for some strange reason i just can't see this being the case onboard ship. and while it may not be a problem amongst those who percieve him to be innocent, i can see several problems arising from quarters where that isn't the general consensus...

4. How can they retrial him, I thought we still had double jeopardy? This is not simply a case of admin action surely?

Things like this are sooner forgotten if there can be no clear outcome.

5. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

They can re-try precisely because we have double jeopardy. Presumably the prosecutors have more evidence if they're pressing for a re-trial.

6. That is what I was thinking, unless there is a loophole in the law?

7. Irresepective of what night be said on ship, there is a clear outcome-he has been cleared and is innocent of the charges.

8. I agree wholeheartedly, if only human nature were such that all taints and inuendo could be removed.

9. Actually the Sky News story says "The question of a retrial is said to be currently under consideration by the prosecuting authority." Not quite the same thing.

10. Sorry, another screw up....

11. This is a total cock up! If this guy is innocent of rape and she agrees it was concentual then are the MOD not obliged to either reinstate him or will it be a pay off and an honerable discharge. This sounds more like a "Tim Collins" or "Trusted Mole" screw job.

I feel sorry for the guy as he went throught 2 seperate legal trial a rape and a court martial and neither of them noticed that there may not be a safe conviction.

If there is a re-trial then surely it is a case for forensic evidence against the two differing views from the people who were the room at the time.

So much for "innocent until PROVEN guilty"

12. Conviction found unsafe .Thats seems to imply they still think he is guilty just cant prove it.Hence the retrial .

13. he is proper fcuked now either way. sh1t sticks around along time. should have filled her in, or used her head as a doorknocker on the bulkheads.

14. ok he might be re-instated but what about time lost on promotion boards for a crime it appears he did not commit.