Cpls Howes and Wood

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by Private_Pike, Mar 11, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. With the 22nd anniversary of their murder on the 19th of this month I've posted this as a reminder. I remember clearly being one of the many who just watched helplessly as this atrocity was shown on television Rest in Peace fellas.

edited for insensitivity

• Excellent Topic Excellent Topic x 1
  2. I too remember watching this on that day's news. Absolutely appalling.

God rest them

3. Why? A simple 'it's the anniversary of their death' would suffice. Do we start posting the pictures of the remains of the lads in Afghanistan when it's their anniversary? There's some cracking helmet footage of the blokes being RPG'd, IED'd shot and burnt knocking around.

4. Sorry 5A just thought it a poignant reminder of the bravery and restraint they showed in not firing into the crowd. Links removed.

5. Understood but it also shows the 2 lads being murdered.

6. Least the corps named a store room after them. They didn't even get one each.

How proud their parents most have being walking up to the gym, then round the changing rooms, then down the muddy steps to see a shed backing onto a car park.

"Mr & Mrs Howes and Woods, the corps thinks so much of your sons we could have named the tech class rooms after them, but we though hey, a shed is just as good"

Well done Jimmy and co.

RIP fellas.

• Like Like x 1
  7. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

22 years already? where has the time gone, I was having a brew with SQMS 1sqn when the news came through.

8. Here is an idea.

We are looking to rename the Ptarmigan Main Buidling (PMB) in Blandford due to its demise. Ptarmigan that is.

How about the Howes and Wood Building. Your thoughts appreciated.

9. Oddly enough, only yesterday I was driving past the very place and the poor lads did come to mind. Cant believe its so long ago.

RIP lads.

10. I do remember the incident serving with the Royal Corps at that time on Roulement. Worst year for the Corps & army that year on Banner with Graham Lambie, Michael Winkler, Mark Clavey & William Paterson alongside Ian Metcalfe (Green Howards) and Derek Green (RAOC). We Will Remember Them.

11. That's a pretty good idea. The "Howes and Wood equipment store" is completely disrespectful and inapprpriate. Do the young lads and lasses going through Blandford wonder if they'll be treated the same if they're killed in the line of duty? "Wow, if I'm killed in action, they might name the bedding store after me". It would be great to rename the Ptarmigan building in their honour.

12. I knew them both. Bob Howes very well and Del Wood less so. Sad to think that so long has passed since that terrible day. I never knew that they had a store named after them. It does seem some what far from the respect that would be expected for someone who loses their life on duty, let alone two members of the Corps.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Have to agree - is the best the Corps can do for soldiers who have died on ops really naming a shed for dumping prepacked PT bergans and shitty Adv. Training kit for them?

14. I too remember that terrible event. I was on my Class 1 at the time, and so many of us knew Bob and Des - I was at Harrogate, Bradley, with Bob, and had last seen him down in HQ BFFI in Stanley.

The worst for me was having to watch it all again as part of the NIIRT course at Ballykinler.

It was very moving going to the National Memorial Arboretum and seeing their names on the wall when I visited a couple of years ago.

15. I sat through the entire Murphy and McGuire court case at the Crumlin afterwhich they were sent down for life. Following this were a string of other cases where more scum were sent down for varying offences/sentences.

I bet not one of them served into double figures for this callous act