Cpls. Derek Wood and David Howes

Ref my bold - what was FIREFOX? NI was way before my time, so assume it means back to base asap, or dont go to Point A?
Immediate imposition of an OOB area.

The problem there was you had two civilians on the gate with Browning 9mm, there would have been two more casualties if they had. There was no way that they were going up against an AK. The whole thing was a very well executed plan B.
More poor preparations. I remember being on guard duty with 10rds in a mag, in a pocket. 10 rds...

Not wanting to derail this thread as it deals with a serious subject, but can I briefly ask others an opinion on something.

Most days I listen to BBC Radio 5 so get to hear the near constant protestations from the Labour Party about nearly everything the tories do or plan to do.

One of the many things that stands out to me is that Labour/Corbyn often say that a fixed/staffed/patrolled border between NI and the south would mean a 'return' to the violence of the old days. I feel they say this as though things are still tense in NI but that the old baddies have all hung up their boots and that sectarian/criminal things stopped happening some time ago.

Do any of you feel that the old and (not bold) cowardly thugs just haven't gone away and some politicians are trying to simply dress NI up as a land of peace and harmony?

Not wanting to derail this thread as it deals with a serious subject, but can I briefly ask others an opinion on something.

Most days I listen to BBC Radio 5 so get to hear the near constant protestations from the Labour Party about nearly everything the tories do or plan to do.

One of the many things that stands out to me is that Labour/Corbyn often say that a fixed/staffed/patrolled border between NI and the south would mean a 'return' to the violence of the old days. I feel they say this as though things are still tense in NI but that the old baddies have all hung up their boots and that sectarian/criminal things stopped happening some time ago.

Do any of you feel that the old and (not bold) cowardly thugs just haven't gone away and some politicians are trying to simply dress NI up as a land of peace and harmony?
I recall not so long ago, the military referred to the ‘benefits’ of the GFA as ‘normalisation’. Only in the sense that most of the headline grabbing incidents were cast into history (thank God), but a lot of the low level criminal activity and sectarianism still persists to this day - not ‘normal’ at all.
That said; I don’t live in the Province, so perhaps I should defer to those that do and live and breath it every day.
“They haven’t gone away, you know”, to quote a well known phrase.

Just have a look on some of the NI regional news sites for proof they haven't gone away. Just different colours now - the full on criminal gang kind.

I a hard border goes up it will impact upon a lot of people that until now didn’t give two hoots about anything. Loss of the will of these people and those tired of the conflict could allow the bandits to make real inroads again. I think it will depend on the impact on tourism.

Spent several years in NI. I doubt it's anywhere near as bad now as, say, the mid to late 1980's. AIUI, the PSNI say the threat from dissidents is “severe”; feuding and paramilitaries haven't gone away. Some old faces and some new blood, "targets include PSNI and prison officers". Not having been back for over 25 years I honestly have no idea, but, again aiui and I wouldn't trust the media, I'd think that anything resembling a hard Border causes all sorts of trouble.

Hopefully "civil disobedience" over Borders doesn't mean a return to the old days. Aside from Guardian reports, statistics and the yellow press, I'd sooner ask people who live there, and talking to people from the Province: "sure you'd be alright going back". But I'm not convinced the Old and Bold believe that applies everywhere.

On the security situation and comparisons, there are in any case recent Gov stats for England and Wales, a new Terrorism Briefing Paper (CBP7613), and PSNI stats. Except for a couple of districts, they show NI figures are generally down. Numbers of NI arrests under Section 41 of the Terrorism Act 2000, "are up from the previous 12 months". Very few were charged, apparently.

Last edited:

ugly

LE
Time to cut the province loose

Time to cut the province loose
Why, please?

It is part of the U.K. Has been since almost the time of the Norman Conquest.

Ulstermen have fought and died to remain British. We (our governments) have let down enough people who wished to retain links with us. It dishonours us (a minority view but an honest one).

We are not talking about Ulster as some sort of colonial possession. It is the U.K. And if the deaths in Ulster and on the mainland have been what William Golding, in another context, called a 'sad harvest', what does walking away achieve?

Why, please?

Ulstermen have fought and died to remain British. We (our governments) have let down enough people who wished to retain links with us. It dishonours us (a minority view but an honest one).

We are not talking about Ulster as some sort of colonial possession. It is the U.K. And if the deaths in Ulster and on the mainland have been what William Golding, in another context, called a 'sad harvest', what does walking away achieve?
Still a shithole that I’d be happy to never see again.

I think Croydon should be cut loose.

Why, please?

Freedom of choice.

Ulstermen fought and died to give their countrymen the power of self determination.

If the democratic will of the people is to reunite Ireland, then so be it.

Let Dublin deal with any potential separatist movement.

I'm sure Dublin won't face the level of external interference/collusion experienced by Crown Forces.