Cpls. Derek Wood and David Howes

That makes me feel humbled and quite choked up, thank you for those replies here that have been kind which I shall also ask my friend to pass on which I guess will also help.
Sadly your memorial thread seems to have been hijacked. (such is ARRSE these days)

It was a shocking event even by NI standards and as such is probably remembered more than many other deaths. However we should never forget it was two soldiers carrying out their duties who were murdered and they should be remembered the same as all the others.

Carrying on the sombre note of this thread, today is the anniversary of another despicable act, the murder of Jonathan Ball (aged 3) and Matthew Parry (aged 9) in the Warrington bombings.
Very shocking and the sadness of it all never seems to diminish. I read some words from Colin Parry in from the Evening Standard at the link here. The loss and ongoing pain that you can sense from him (and others who have lost close ones to dreadful acts like these) just makes me wonder how anyone copes with it all. Shattering stuff that is for sure.

My letter to my departed son, 25 years after his tragic death

And ladies, never forget their tasking within JCUNI.
Indeed, without the ladies and their horses being there I'd never have been able to carry out that drunken one man cavalry charge on a Shire Horse (drunk too) against the RMP Families BBQ in their JNCOs' mess.

I served at JCU a good few years after the Howes & Wood incident (serving in the same role), their murder and the full video taken from the helly-telly formed the nucleus of the arrivals brief. A very sobering presentation indeed.

Certa Cito.

First of all.
Thank you to the posters who placed the card on the grave and the two poppy appeal poppies on the gravel.

I was thinking of this incident only yesterday, and thinking how to a certain group of ARRSErs this is a very bad incident with memories that can't be erased of of some horrific images.

To some this incident is vivid and fresh like it was yesterday, while to a growing section of the population it's ancient history and not at all relevent to their lives.

Who would have thought 30 years ago that an annoying and snivelling back bench labour MP who supported the PIRA cause and invited convicted terrorists into the house of commons would today be seen by many as a peace loving chap with ALL the answers?
Well I wouldn't say this is exclusive to backbench labour MPs. Blair and Mowlem started the show.

Well I wouldn't say this is exclusive to backbench labour MPs. Blair and Mowlem started the show.
Corbyn was giving succour to PIRA and had invited convicted PIRA members into parliament long before Blair and Mowlem became involved (not forgetting Blair and Mowlem were doing the talking officially, Corbyn wasn't).
Corbyn invited the convicted IRA members into parliament in 1984...........a short while after the IRA bombed the Tory conference in Brighton.

At least 4 UDR soldiers, a lad from the QLR and a cop that I can think of off the top of my head. Plus at least one more UDR soldier after Howes and Woods. All of them were murdered.
Apparently they also grabbed 2 Officers in 1971 but released hem as they were attempting talks in London. I'll check my books.

Considering the event was watched from start to finish by heli-cam, I never understood the reason why there was no intervention by some QRF and RUC in the area, or were they held back for some reason we'll never know?

Considering the event was watched from start to finish by heli-cam, I never understood the reason why there was no intervention by some QRF and RUC in the area, or were they held back for some reason we'll never know?
From memory the Lynx crew though it was a blue on blue incident involving only militant civilians.

Edited to add:
The above is only relating to what the crew thought they were watching, not a comment on what could or should have happened next.

From memory the Lynx crew though it was a blue on blue incident involving only militant civilians.

Edited to add:
The above is only relating to what the crew thought they were watching, not a comment on what could or should have happened next.
So we was led to believe at the time, so it's alright for civilians to murder each other in broad daylight then?

No-one realised there were security forces involved because the area was OOB so the decision to go in was a lot slower because they weren't sure what was actually going on. Ironic really as the cops who piled into the crowd to rescue Michael Stone took the risk because they thought he was an undercover soldier or cop.

So we was led to believe at the time, so it's alright for civilians to murder each other in broad daylight then?
Because they weren't sure who it was or what was actually happening there wasn't really any way to tell they were going to be murdered until it was too late. The commanders making the decision were concerned if they launched units into the middle of what was happening, especially after agreeing to stay clear of the actual funeral, they would make the situation much worse.

Because they weren't sure who it was or what was actually happening there wasn't really any way to tell they were going to be murdered until it was too late. The commanders making the decision were concerned if they launched units into the middle of what was happening, especially after agreeing to stay clear of the actual funeral, they would make the situation much worse.
The point I'm trying to make here albeit badly is that intervention should have been made irrespective who they were, we only saw on tv the car part of the incident but the chopper was watching them being beaten and stripped and thrown over the fence and murdered. intervention should have taken place.

Considering the event was watched from start to finish by heli-cam, I never understood the reason why there was nohey tou intervention by some QRF and RUC in the area, or were they held back for some reason we'll never know?
Originally they thought it was another michael stone attack so my instinct is that they were just going to let events take place and conduct arrests where possible later. It was only after they put in the Reg number of the car that it was realised that the people might be Soldiers. No patrols had been operating in that area, this information was publicised by one of the 14 int so called "sneaks" of the day. All Army and police patrols had been told to avoid the area. Howes and Woods sadly were out of the briefing loop so paid with their lives. Story goes that one of them was giving a tour to his relief, he had been down the road in Howard Street visiting a unit and for some reason turned up the Falls instead of down the Grosvenor after he left. The rest sadly is history

apologies for going so far off thread and I'll go after this, but the powers to be let the attack go to it's conclusion thinking we will get some arrests later? two people died!! the whole thing stank. out.

apologies for going so far off thread and I'll go after this, but the powers to be let the attack go to it's conclusion thinking we will get some arrests later? two people died!! the whole thing stank. out.
Only my instinct. McG (marty) gave a speech saying that they had "won the battle of the funerals". As far as most people were concerned they could celebrate that "win" preferably 100 times every week. It made the security forces look bad when they arrested these "poor mourners" on the world's media. Staying away produced the opposite media result. Lives were expended.

You're told "A couple of guys drove a car into the crowd and are now being roughed up", what's your first conclusion? Probably not "Oh yeah, that sounds like a couple of ours, if we don't do something they're going to be killed, let's risk a re-enactment of the Battle of the Boyne to get them out."

You're more likely to think "Couple of UDA types getting the kicking they deserve." By the time it became apparent that they were going to get more than a kicking, it was too late.

Once again, we're all discussing this from the comfortable position of 30 years' hindsight.

Having said which, I do agree that if anyone had known that two guys were going to be killed, it would have been right to attempt a rescue, regardless of whether they were military or not.

You're told "A couple of guys drove a car into the crowd and are now being roughed up", what's your first conclusion? Probably not "Oh yeah, that sounds like a couple of ours, if we don't do something they're going to be killed, let's risk a re-enactment of the Battle of the Boyne to get them out."

You're more likely to think "Couple of UDA types getting the kicking they deserve." By the time it became apparent that they were going to get more than a kicking, it was too late.

Once again, we're all discussing this from the comfortable position of 30 years' hindsight.

Having said which, I do agree that if anyone had known that two guys were going to be killed, it would have been right to attempt a rescue, regardless of whether they were military or not.
Bang on the head. Terrorists in whatever form were tolerated for far too long. "Acceptable level of violence"? Who remembers that phrase? Right and wrong boundaries were extended where it suited back in the day.