Cpls. Derek Wood and David Howes

Niamac

GCM
the luxury item: it will be the full box set of the World at War
Better ask for a TV, DVD player and a genny. Would not like to think of you using them as frisbees in frustration.

Robme

On ROPS
On ROPs
I take you knew one or both of them personally to make a statement like that?
I knew Woody, not as a close mate but as one of the better Sigs support. I don’t recall he was that much of a ‘big it up’, but when new guys turned up, a lot of us enjoyed taking them round the Provence. That was what was going on on the day, somehow Woody didn’t see the latest info on where not to go etc. Although there were some who thought it was a planned op due to the numbers who would turn out for the funerals. Whatever, the restraint showed by the pair of them, in firing in the air, was admirable and for many of us the following months saw an upsurge in the number of rounds taken out on various ops, including the type of weapon. The problem was the car they were driving had some real sneeky beaky stuff installed. More time was spent looking for the car, which was eventually recovered nearby. The shites who ran the garage eventually were banged up as co-conspirators to the Murders.

Robme

On ROPS
On ROPs

Robme

On ROPS
On ROPs
Considering the event was watched from start to finish by heli-cam, I never understood the reason why there was no intervention by some QRF and RUC in the area, or were they held back for some reason we'll never know?
Because the whole area was off limits to Security people of any colour. So there was no QRF nor RUC support within any distance worth having. As has been noted, they failed to read the notices on what was to do that day. Or it may have been a planned Op, which few were aware was taking place Or aware off. There were certainly some ‘nutters’ ic Planning based at Lisburn back in the day, there was also a culture of one-man-upmanship over certain tasks. Even though Maurice’s boys had put paid to much of that long before they died.

I am not sure if this is the right forum but here goes.

As you might know tomorrow is the 30th anniversary of the dreadful murders of Cpls David Howes and Derek Wood (Royal Signals) in Belfast.

Derek is buried near me and today I went to the cemetery (I can't make tomorrow as I start a new job on that day) to pay respects and leave a card that I had made up as shown here.

It was cold and quiet making it all the more sombre. I left a note as you can see in the photo. I am sure there will be family there tomorrow and it is now time to leave them to grieve but hopefully that Derek (and Dave) are not forgotten stays with them too. I feel so sad for them.

View attachment 327016
I’m sure that on the 30th anniversary of his horrible demise, the family were well chuffed to see that you’d stuck that thing on his headstone

I’m sure that on the 30th anniversary of his horrible demise, the family were well chuffed to see that you’d stuck that thing on his headstone
Yes they were. I had asked my friend who is part of the wider family circle if this would be ok. She asked the closer relatives of Woody who said they were pleased to be asked and that it was more than fine and that this (and other mementos left by others) were appreciated as it showed that Woody was not being forgotten by soldiers/vets.

I had checked as I had concerns that something like that might be cause a tough emotional reaction, in fact it was entirely the opposite. I would encourage others who might be in the area to leave something touching. The family will appreciate it.

It was still there for some months before it finally went off in some direction.

Last edited:
1DF6C13E-40E6-48DD-BE37-ADD2EC3AF103.jpeg
Taken last evening, 18/03/2020 at the location behind Andersonstown Road. Not by me but by a good friend (ex HCav) who “works” this area now. I’d previously left poppies on the 25th and 30th anniversaries but was unable to do so this time. He kindly did so, without request or promoting on behalf of those that knew the two gents. Certa Cito.

Latest Threads