Cpls. Derek Wood and David Howes

The Chopper occupants would have had a problem trying to do anything at all, for example if they had dropped CS which I believe they may have carried,
No. PPW.

The raw footage early on was horrific. News agencies wouldn't show anything like it today. That's both a good and bad thing - if people got to see what we're up against sometimes, they'd realise what needs to be done at times. On the other hand, seeing and not being in any way able to change things upset me for a very long time afterwards. I know I'm far from alone in that.

Again, like others, I'm appalled at the politically inspired moves going on currently to re-write history such that Republican terrorists were poor, oppressed freedom fighters. They weren't.

The Chopper crew would have had a problem trying to do anything at all, for example if they had dropped CS which I believe they may have carried, even that would have been considered as 'interfering in an IRA funeral'. and the Nationalist would have made the most of that as propaganda. I did see Choppers dropping CS Gas in Long Kesh in Oct 74 when one company of us (RRW) were up against it with a few thousand rioting prisoners.

The Padre on site at the murders of the two boys, was seen to try to intervene, I think he failed to affect the baying mob. But he did give the two 'last rights' so I remember.
It emerged recently that the Priest (Father Alec Reid?) was told "**** off, or I'll shoot you too".
History does not relate whether it was Cleeky Clarke or another son of the church

It emerged recently that the Priest (Father Alec Reid?) was told "**** off, or I'll shoot you too".
History does not relate whether it was Cleeky Clarke or another son of the church
Cleeky Clarke was Gerry Adam's CP fella for a period. He is the one in the news film battering the side window of the vehicle. Became disillionsed with PIRA /SF as time went by for some perceived lack of attention to his failing health. Died of cancer.
I doubt if Father Alec would have been phased by Cleeky, whom he knew fairly well but in all I don't know.

ugly

LE
Personally, 1988 got worse. A friend in the Light Infantry was killed in Northern Ireland. He was my age, and was one of the first soldiers killed over there who hadn't been born when the current round of Troubles started.
Not a rambling post at all, I was in 1LI then, watched it in the ops room. I may have known your friend.

Cleeky Clarke was Gerry Adam's CP fella for a period. He is the one in the news film battering the side window of the vehicle. Became disillionsed with PIRA /SF as time went by for some perceived lack of attention to his failing health. Died of cancer.
I doubt if Father Alec would have been phased by Cleeky, whom he knew fairly well but in all I don't know.
Heard he got fed up of Jarry treating him like a serf

At least there is something good to come out of this thread.. do we know what type of cancer? a particularly nasty one I hope. I seem to remember the heli footage being broadcast live or pretty soon after the event on a Saturday lunchtime( ? ) Feral mob is the best way of describing the crowd. Rip to Cpls Howes and Wood

At least there is something good to come out of this thread.. do we know what type of cancer? a particularly nasty one I hope. I seem to remember the heli footage being broadcast live or pretty soon after the event on a Saturday lunchtime( ? ) Feral mob is the best way of describing the crowd. Rip to Cpls Howes and Wood
I’m not the type to wish cancer on others, particularly on the Internet (what’s the point), but in the case of this Republican piece of filth, I truly hope his demise was long, drawn out and very, very painful.

I’m not the type to wish cancer on others, particularly on the Internet (what’s the point), but in the case of this Republican piece of filth, I truly hope his demise was long, drawn out and very, very painful.
well me neither Slipperman, but I do take satisfaction in him being in a lot of pain & misery in the autumn of his life

The heli footage was coming through live into an Ops room I was loitering in, it continued throughout their ordeal. No one had a clue who was in the car & blokes were on the phone trying to track it down once someone had been able to get the reg plate of the TV coverage also on the screens. There was an OOB to green army on that immediate area for the duration so most thoughts were that this was another michael stone lark.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
The two up-front and the bloke operating the heli-telly weren't in a position to intervene, but the event is something that has haunted them ever since. The full footage has, to the best of my knowledge, remained on a very limited release.
In the immediate aftermath, people were wheeled in and out in groups, to a Belfast police station. Where the heli tele footage was shown.
Graphic wasn't the word.