Cpls. Derek Wood and David Howes

As it happens I have Tuesday (19th Mar) off work so will go along to Derek's grave.

If I see any of his family there at the time I will pass on the condolences of those on this thread and that he (and David Howe) are in your thoughts. They take comfort from the fact that they are remembered.
Ref your last sentence: ditto the mother and father of Patrick Azimkar RE, at Masserene Barracks 2 weeks ago - 10th anniversary

Last edited:
As you would appear to have misread my post, I have added 4 words and a colon at the start of it
My post was not aimed at anyone here! Just a heartfelt opinion probably generally directed at people who don’t Enhibit the same wo
As you would appear to have misread my post, I have added 4 words and a colon at the start of it
didnt miss read your post, my comment was not aimed at you! Just my opinion of how I felt at the time! Although I never joined the military I live near the shot and am friends with many ex and serving from 2&3 battalions and 216 signals all good lads who but for the grace of god could have been in the same spot that day!

I didn't realise it was 31 years yesterday.
The 'failure' of those who could have attempted/authorised rescue is dealt with elsewhere.
For me, it was the day my part of the world descended into primitive savagery (whatever about drink being involved).
It sends a shiver through me still.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
Not many of the troops in NI at the time would have been anywhere near the place. All IRA funerals were very strictly 'out of bounds' and for several miles around. The strict rule was 'Low Profile' I was about four or five miles from the incident that day and saw it unfold an hour or two later on a Guard Room TV. It was filmed from a Chopper, It was a horrific thing to watch, or to imagine oneself in that situation. I could relate about five instances whereby soldiers on Banner were found alone and suffered the same fate.

Not many of the troops in NI at the time would have been anywhere near the place. All IRA funerals were very strictly 'out of bounds' and for several miles around. The strict rule was 'Low Profile' I was about four or five miles from the incident that day and saw it unfold an hour or two later on a Guard Room TV. It was filmed from a Chopper, It was a horrific thing to watch, or to imagine oneself in that situation. I could relate about five instances whereby soldiers on Banner were found alone and suffered the same fate.
A famous saying by Martin McGuiness in the day was "we have won the battle of the funerals"! Before this the police used to raid and try to snatch the guns used for the "tribute". As far as the rest of the decent people in the world were concerned they could win the battles of the funerals a hundred times a week, more terrorist deaths was what was required and what ultimately defeated them.

Head buried in sand forever. It's better to ignore real facts than confront them. The view is to be robust and have total proof before making accusations. Terrorists can be nice people who hug trees. Those convicted of multiple murder are equal to us all. Those who abuse children are equal to us all and must not have their motives questioned under any circumstances. Finally if you don't like anything I have said in this post just bog off and join the British Army where diversity is not tolerated, isn't it?
To the bum feature who dislikes what I have said, let history be the judge.

As ex Army its still sends shivers down my spine, who cares where you were on Dianas death or 9/11.

I know exactly where I was and how I felt on that day.
Same for this civilian.

I was 18 and in the upper sixth. I was working in my student job at Morrison's and this happened on a Saturday. I worked in the non-food department so that included the record and electrical department. Normally the televisions and overhead screens would show whatever video we were promoting but that day was busy, no-one had loaded a video, so we were only showing ITV.

This came on and everything went quiet. It seemed like every customer within fifty yards just drifted up to our area. The store manager actually came up to our area to find out what was happening.

That night my Irish uncle through marriage got a phone call from his local pub. Don't come out tonight, we can't guarantee your safety. I heard that some Irish people were attacked over that weekend.

Monday morning there was a special assembly at school. Two lads who had left the year before (had they stayed at school they would have been in the lower sixth) had gone out on Saturday night, come home pissed, kipped down in a car and started the engine to keep warm and endex. So with both events at the weekend the school was in a state of shock.

I took Tuesday to Thursday off to work on my A-level Statistics report. I was putting in 20 hour days but like everyone else took a few minutes off to watch the news. ITN led with the investigation and the repatriation of the bodies while I was skiving, and like the rest of the country I watched every bulletin. For the next few months I'd turn the sound off whenever ITN news came on until the newsreader started speaking. To me the intro jingle was too much of a reminder.

You're right. This was the 80s Diana moment. We were less emotionally incontinent back then, but even then I remember ITV showing the film Police Academy a few months later and cutting out the bit where a police car gets surrounded by a mob. In fact it was worse. Diana's death was relayed to us second hand (I heard about it on the radio at work at 4.00am - driving home at 6.00am the radio was playing the sort of music only heard in communist dictatorships when a Brezhnev type bod died). We saw these lads die "live" on television.

The view of the British public was simple. Kill them all. Nuke the bloody place. Even animals don't act like that. If Maggie had announced that she was going to turn Northern Ireland into a radioactive car park she would have been returned to Parliament with a massive majority. I was in Newcastle a few weeks later and saw some SWP muppets trying to hand out leaflets saying that the "Gibraltar Three" had been murdered by Thatcher. They didn't last long. I saw Geordies spitting on them, tearing up their leaflets, and some even assaulted them.

Personally, 1988 got worse. A friend in the Light Infantry was killed in Northern Ireland. He was my age, and was one of the first soldiers killed over there who hadn't been born when the current round of Troubles started.

Apologies for the rambling post.

Apparently a Lynx helicopter filmed the whole of the incident, including the two murders, but could do nothing about it. I heard at the time from AAC chaps that the footage was horrific. Apart from the two Corporals, my thoughts at the time were also with those who had to watch that film in the course of their duties.

It's incidents like this that I think of when I see that San Francisco recently "honoured" McGuinness, and also recall that the New York Police and Fire Departments did IRA fundraising back in the day.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
Apparently a Lynx helicopter filmed the whole of the incident, including the two murders, but could do nothing about it. I heard at the time from AAC chaps that the footage was horrific. Apart from the two Corporals, my thoughts at the time were also with those who had to watch that film in the course of their duties.

It's incidents like this that I think of when I see that San Francisco recently "honoured" McGuinness, and also recall that the New York Police and Fire Departments did IRA fundraising back in the day.
Indeed! The IRA funding from the US almost ceased with the Twin Towers attack on 7/11. They had a taste of terrorism, and realized what their funding was actually helping to achieve.

Apparently a Lynx helicopter filmed the whole of the incident, including the two murders, but could do nothing about it. I heard at the time from AAC chaps that the footage was horrific. .
The two up-front and the bloke operating the heli-telly weren't in a position to intervene, but the event is something that has haunted them ever since. The full footage has, to the best of my knowledge, remained on a very limited release.

The two up-front and the bloke operating the heli-telly weren't in a position to intervene, but the event is something that has haunted them ever since. The full footage has, to the best of my knowledge, remained on a very limited release.
Not surprisingly really, I'd only left Aldergrove about 6 months earlier and heard they had asked CoC for permission to try and intervene, which was denied. Though that might just be the rumour mill.

Indeed! The IRA funding from the US almost ceased with the Twin Towers attack on 7/11. They had a taste of terrorism, and realized what their funding was actually helping to achieve.

I was working in Dorridge, near Birmingham, on a pub referb, when 9/11 happened, we all thought it was a trailer for a film, when we realised it was really happening, one or two of the lads, me included all said the same, "Pay back for 30+ years of funding the IRA" we later learned that 79 British ex pats perished.

We were shown the complete heli-telly footage as part of our JCU(NI) intro package when I was posted there in the early 00s, the limited release is for a very good reason - it's simply horrific.

Not surprisingly really, I'd only left Aldergrove about 6 months earlier and heard they had asked CoC for permission to try and intervene, which was denied. Though that might just be the rumour mill.
None of the crew were aware of the fact that the car's occupants were military, but considered intervening as a matter of trying to prevent a lynching. To be fair to the crew, their options for preventing the murders were limited, and given the state of the lynch-mob might easily have joined the list of casualties.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
The Chopper crew would have had a problem trying to do anything at all, for example if they had dropped CS which I believe they may have carried, even that would have been considered as 'interfering in an IRA funeral'. and the Nationalist would have made the most of that as propaganda. I did see Choppers dropping CS Gas in Long Kesh in Oct 74 when one company of us (RRW) were up against it with a few thousand rioting prisoners.

The Padre on site at the murders of the two boys, was seen to try to intervene, I think he failed to affect the baying mob. But he did give the two 'last rights' so I remember.